Pulled Out a Bridge Pin, Now it Won't Stay In

StratoSlacker

• Members

Hi all,

Epiphone Hummingbird acoustic, nice little guitar.

Decided to change the strings today while watching football.

Pulled out the high E pin, and when I tried putting it and the new string back in, it won't hold. The pin shows no sign of damage, no bits of wood fell out when I pulled the pin. The entire guitar is stock, including the pins which appear to be plastic.

Is this a common issue with acoustic bridges? Is the solution simply to buy a fatter pin or do I need to replace the bridge now?

• Members

Pulled out the high E pin, and when I tried putting it and the new string back in, it won't hold. The pin shows no sign of damage, no bits of wood fell out when I pulled the pin. The entire guitar is stock, including the pins which appear to be plastic.

Is this a common issue with acoustic bridges? Is the solution simply to buy a fatter pin or do I need to replace the bridge now?

Maybe the bridge pin popped out because you're wrong and a liar :eek:.

Sorry...couldn't resist the opportunity. One of our AG inside jokes, you see :cop:

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it. If there's not enough tension on the string, the bridge pins will pop/fall out sometimes. I generally hold the pin in place with my thumb until there's enough tension on the string to keep it from moving around.

• Members

I've had the problem a few times before and I just use one of the other pins. It [another bridgepin] may not have been any different and it may have had everything to do with how the ball end was seating, but it got me through the hassle.

• Members

Did you make sure that the ball end of the the string was seated against the bridge plate and not seated on the end of the pin before bringing the string up to tension? I've had ball ends that stubbornly wanted to seat themselves up on the end of the endpin. It helps to put a little bend on the winding near the ball end to help it into position when you insert the endpin.

I like to put all the strings in first so that I can reach in and feel that the ball end of all the strings are seated properly before moving down the neck to wind the strings onto the tuners. Or you can check with a little mirror.

And doesn't all of that just sound so perverse?;):poke:

• Members

My guess is the ball end is caught on the end of the pin rather than near the hole so when you tighten it up it want's to pull the pin out. I used to use Martin Marquis strings which have silk on the bottom and it was often too thick and would wedge in the bridgepin groove and pull it partly out. I have since switched to SP's and I no longer have that problem.

Archived