Gibson Songmakers?

chadhogan

• Members

Honestly, if I was going to spend $950 - $1200 on an acoustic, I'd get something else. I just can't warm up to a bolt-neck Canadian-made Gibson. Plus, they just seem to be trying way too hard:

"The Gibson CSM Grand Concert acoustic guitar from the Songmaker series features a J-45 headstock, the rosette of the SJ-200, the pickguard from the Blues King, and the bridge from the Woody Guthrie Southern Jumbo. "

Give me the real deal or give me a Guild. :)

BTW, what's your Larrivee not doing for you?

• Members

The Larrivee is a great guitar when just jamming around the house and small gigs. I'm finding whenever I use it for recording, it is almost too boomy and dark. I love that sound when its natural, but even with a low cut on the signal, it is overwhelmingly bassy. I just don't have the funds for a 2k+ guitar right now. Ideally, I am trying to find something similiar to the Larrivee's price range without the boom. Also, I am not interested in the Martin 16 series, I do not like the idea of synthetics on a guitar at that price point. Keeping in mind that I am in Canada as well. I can have favourable pricing on Gibson, Martin, and Larrivee. Is the Gibson songwriter basically a Garrison?

• Members

I'm finding whenever I use it for recording, it is almost too boomy and dark.

I'm not trying to talk you out of buying a new guitar, but if the Larrivee sounds good everywhere but in the studio, it might have more to do with your mic placement, or its EQ or pre-amp settings.

I'm not familiar enough with Garrisons to compare them to the Canadian Gibsons.

• Members

Lots of better choices in that price range (Guild GAD and Breedlove Atlas Series being two of the best). I've tried quite few Songmakers now, and I just don't think Gibson has them dialed in yet. They sound compressed and boxy.

• Members

I know how to use eq, the problem is more that the amount that needs to be applied is drastic enough where it just doesn't sound natural. The guitar sounds great by itself, but when I'm playing with a couple other people, it can lost pretty easily. I have great condensers, and some other guitars I have tried seem to sit in the mixes better than Larrivee. Don't get me wrong, I love the guitar, Its just the primary function for my acoustic is recording, and this one just doesn't have enough high end, and has too much bottom end. I'd like to avoid having tons of eq and compression to get it to sound right. I'm not against keeping it, I just feel that a mahogany guitar, or possible a smaller sized rosewood guitar might suit me better for the tone I am chasing.

• Members

Gibson acoustics have their own sound. And I don't like it at all. If you sing and play, no problem. But on their own, as a solo instrument, I can think of a lot of things that would sound better.

For what you want -

I'd start by listening to a Martin OM.

• Members

The Larrivee is a great guitar when just jamming around the house and small gigs. I'm finding whenever I use it for recording, it is almost too boomy and dark. I love that sound when its natural, but even with a low cut on the signal, it is overwhelmingly bassy. I just don't have the funds for a 2k+ guitar right now. Ideally, I am trying to find something similiar to the Larrivee's price range without the boom. Also, I am not interested in the Martin 16 series, I do not like the idea of synthetics on a guitar at that price point. Keeping in mind that I am in Canada as well. I can have favourable pricing on Gibson, Martin, and Larrivee. Is the Gibson songwriter basically a Garrison?

Whatever the brand - think Maple.

Nice & bright. In my experience, Maple/Spruce records better than any

combination I've tried.

• Members

Gibson bought out Garrison, but i don't think the guitars they manufacture there have any relation to the oldGarrison product. It's my understanding that Garrison used a proprietary bracing system that incorporated synthetic materials, so no real continuity outside of location of manufacture.

I've not seen a "Songmaker" yet, but haven't seen any comments here that say it is awful. Most seem to think it is a lackluster effort that has neither the signature sound nor the charm of original Gibsons. However, people here are pretty rough on the Gibson company, and I'd withold judgement until you have the chance to play one.

• Members

d this one just doesn't have enough high end, and has too much bottom end. I'd like to avoid having tons of eq and compression to get it to sound right.

I see ... yes, in that case, you might do better with something else. I had the same issue with my small-bodied rosewood Martin: the bass and low mids were very pronounced, and I had to do all kinds of EQ gymnastics just to make it sound balanced. Conversely, I can't seem to get a bad recording of my J-45, no matter how sloppily I place the mic.

I tend, however, to agree with those who are suggesting a Guild GAD or a Breedlove over the "budget" Gibson line. I think you'll get more for your money and the satisfaction will last longer.

• Members

I see ... yes, in that case, you might do better with something else. I had the same issue with my small-bodied rosewood Martin: the bass and low mids were very pronounced, and I had to do all kinds of EQ gymnastics just to make it sound balanced. Conversely, I can't seem to get a bad recording of my J-45, no matter how sloppily I place the mic.

I tend, however, to agree with those who are suggesting a Guild GAD or a Breedlove over the "budget" Gibson line. I think you'll get more for your money and the satisfaction will last longer.

I had the same issue in some tunes with a Masterbilt DR500me. The bass was too pronounced (with the pickup) and the top "E" string was lost almost entirely. I'd have to change my attack to get the "E" string pronounced enough to be heard.

• Members

I got to play both a mahogany and a rosewood example of a Songmaker model and came away distinctly underwhelmed. You can buy an outstanding Yamaha L series for similar money which will leave these 'badge-engineered' Gibsons floundering.

• Members

Is the Gibson songwriter basically a Garrison?

hi Chad:

You mention both Songwriter and Songmaker Gibsons. These are quite different guitars. Songmakers are low-end Gibsons, that are (were?) made at the old Garrison plant in Newfoundland. Gibson bought Garrison, but Gibson doesn't use the injection-moulded plastic frame that Garrisons featured.

Word has it that the Newfoundland plant has now closed. I don't know whether this is true, and if this means that Songmakers will be discontinued.

Songwriters are higher quality than Songmakers, and are manufactured elsewhere.

• Members

Sorry that was just a slip, we carry the higher end Gibsons at our shop and I have been heavily considering the songwriter, but I hadn't heard anything about them through the rep. I called him yesterday and he said the plant is for sure closed, and they will be discontinued. I found an '07 tucked away in our storage, and can get it really cheap. It is alot more balanced than my larrivee, and it has really nice mids. I just gotta wait to get the final price, but I am pretty much sold on it.

• 10 years later...
  • Members

I own a 2008 Gibson Songmaker . . . Its not got the charisma of a J45 or a Dove buts its a pretty good guitar . . . I didnt pay that much for it and dont expect that much from it . . .Its certainly not a Martin D28 beater but it plays great and its sounds pretty good too . .  . . The LOGO on the headstock means that its open for criticism but its not actually that bad . . . It plays as well as the Taylor 414CE I sold a while back and it sounds better than the Taylor GS Mini and the Seagull S6  I used to own . . . It doesnt sound as good as the Gibson Dove Studio I tried yesterday but then it didnt cost anywhere near what thats being sold for . . . Dont be put off . . . try it first & try not to be a snob . . 

Archived