Need to raise nut height. Advice needed.

Abando

• Members

I would like to know as many options as possible. I know this question has been asked more than a few times. Hell, I'm getting so lazy that I don't even bookmark things anymore. I like the spacing just fine. Bought the guitar quite a long time ago. Been putting this off for way too long. Asked the seller to make sure the strings weren't too high & he went crazy sanding down each string space to the point where there's fret buzz on a few frets. It's not the neck, saddle, etc. I know for sure what the problem is. Please list all the ways I can increase the string height at the nut without replacing the nut itself. I don't want to make it more complicated than it needs to be. Please be as specific as possible in terms of what products to buy & where I can get them at.......if possible. Recommendations on what I should avoid doing will be just as helpful. Thanks.

Abando

• Members

I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure that buying a new nut will be your only recourse in this scenario. Typically, you can solve action problems by adjusting the truss rod and/or the bridge, but since you're sure neither of those is the cause of the problem, it probably wouldn't be wise to mess around with them. If it's not broken, don't fix it, that sort of thing :blah:.

You could put a shim or two under the saddle, which would raise the action a little bit. The other nice thing about shimming the saddle is that it isn't permanent. If you put the shims in and you decide you don't want them anymore, you can just take them out---simple as that.

• Members

Ok, I've heard of two methods: one ghetto, one requires a little more finese.

The quick and sloppy method is to jam a piece of matchbook cover or teflon tape under the string in the nut slot. Theoretically this raises the string a mm or so.

The other way is to make a filler of a mix of super glue and baking soda. A drop is thereby inserted into the nut slot. After it hardens you essentially cut in a new slot using a piece of old steel string or a serrated knife.

• Members

Take off the existing nut (place a straight edge against it and give a sharp tap), scrape off any adhesive from the base of the nut, cut a slice of old credit card the same size as the base of the nut, glue the strip to the base of the card, then refit the nut with a couple of blobs of glue. Job done.

• Members

Nuts are cheap...replace it.

+1000

Much less time consuming than mixing and applying filler material. Additionally, if the git is old and the existing nut looks aged, a new one always looks nice.....that is, unless you happen to like the vintage look of the old one.

• Members

If I HAD to do it I would go to a hobby shop and buy some brass shim stock. .003 or .005 ought to do it if it is not buzzing too bad. I am assumming the buzz is coming from the first few frets. Anything above the fifth fret and you should be raising the saddle, if the fingerboard flatness is not the problem. A nut slot that is either too high or low is one of the easiest things to check. Have a read through Freeman's post on it in the archives.

• Members

Thanks for all the advice. I'm definitely going to try the shims before doing anything. I think Martin & Florida's advice is the best. :::Falling over:::

Dave W., that's an interesting point you made. Is it possible to have fret buzz above the fifth fret where the nut is still the cause & not a low saddle? I suppose one can have a high enough saddle where there's no fret buzz in all but the most extreme cases, but that doesn't necessarily make a good set up on a guitar. Anyone ever have fret buzz above the fifth fret where the nut was still the problem & not the saddle?

Abando

• Members

If the nut comes out intact (Many don't) you could try shimming, but that tends to be a last resort if nothing else is possible. The best remedies are new nut or partially repair and re-slot the original using superglue and baking soda.

Shimming is just as invasive as replacing a nut and you'll still need to re-set nut slot depths.

-------

Buzzing above the fifth fret...... Typically lack of relief, low saddle or raised/loose fret. ;)

-------

Superglue and baking soda fix also involves masking tape and nut or needle files. The good thing about this method is it isn't invasive and there's no risk of damage to the headstock finish. Just be sure to mask surfaces, and also mask the front and back of the nut before applying the bp and a few drops of superglue.

Re-file slots to desired depths and you're done.

• Members

Christ. Talk about a page of bad advice.

Remove the nut. Place a shim of mahogany stock (they sell the stuff at model airplane hobby stores) UNDER the nut thus raising it. Restring using the string pressure to hold the nut in place temporarily. If the nut is still too low, double the shim. If too high, sand the shim. When you have the shim worked out, glue it into place. Stain and/or epoxy coat the shim edge it to match the rest of the neck and make it less visible..

Or just man up an cut a new nut..

• Members

Christ. Talk about a page of bad advice.

Remove the nut. Place a shim of mahogany stock (they sell the stuff at model airplane hobby stores) UNDER the nut thus raising it. Restring using the string pressure to hold the nut in place temporarily. If the nut is still too low, double the shim. If too high, sand the shim. When you have the shim worked out, glue it into place. Stain and/or epoxy coat the shim edge it to match the rest of the neck and make it less visible..

Or just man up an cut a new nut..

:lol: New ID or just a copycat signature?

Much depends on the degree of nut slot correction necessary, but your method involves more work and requires more in terms of materials and cowboy attitude than anything previously mentioned.

• Members

If the nut and saddle are plastic, I would put it in the shop and have both replaced witrh bone. It will play better AND sound better. And its not that expensive to do so. I think that no matter how you dick around, you'll eventually end up with a new nut, so save yourself some agrivation.

Archived