Reasons why a new guitar wouldn't have a serial number?

Abando

• Members

Noticed a great price on a guitar. Seller said he was selling it so cheap because the manufacturer sent it out with no serial number. What are

the possible reasons why a new guitar from an established manufacturer wouldn't have a serial number? Name as many reasons as you can think of.

Thanks.

Abando

• Members

The first thing that comes to mind is that it's a factory second, which means some (often minor) flaw, no warranty, and no serial number. The next is that it's stolen and the serial number was removed. The next after that is that it's counterfeit. What brand and model is it and how much is it selling for?

• Members

Just saw a guy selling a guitar on Ebay. Didn't even email the seller. His ad simply says that the reason he is selling the guitar so cheap is because the manufacturer sent him two new guitars with no serial numbers. No big deal. Just wanted to know all the reasons why an established manufacturer might send out new guitars without serial numbers.

The above comment reminds me of another thread. I remember telling people on this forum about a well established retail seller selling two Eastmans cheap & a few of you directly accused the seller of selling stolen merchandise because they were so low in price. The reason I didn't mention the seller or the manufacturer is precisely the reasons you witnessed in some of the above comments & in previous comments I read after I started the cheap Eastman thread. I didn't want the seller or manufacturer badmouthed without sufficient evidence they were doing something wrong.

As an aside, a funny thing happened to me while being on Ebay for so many years. I have actually become more trustful of people. After having hundreds of dealings on Ebay & only being ripped off once, I have grown to believe that most people are pretty darn honest. I'm still careful, but I have grown less cynical.

Thanks for all the answers. Just was looking for some information. At the moment, I don't actually have any money to buy anything even if I wanted to.

Abando

• Members

Just saw a guy selling a guitar on Ebay. Didn't even email the seller. His ad simply says that the reason he is selling the guitar so cheap is because the manufacturer sent him two new guitars with no serial numbers. No big deal. Just wanted to know all the reasons why an established manufacturer might send out new guitars without serial numbers.

The above comment reminds me of another thread. I remember telling people on this forum about a well established retail seller selling two Eastmans cheap & a few of you directly accused the seller of selling stolen merchandise because they were so low in price. The reason I didn't mention the seller or the manufacturer is precisely the reasons you witnessed in some of the above comments & in previous comments I read after I started the cheap Eastman thread. I didn't want the seller or manufacturer badmouthed without sufficient evidence they were doing something wrong.

As an aside, a funny thing happened to me while being on Ebay for so many years. I have actually become more trustful of people. After having hundreds of dealings on Ebay & only being ripped off once, I have grown to believe that most people are pretty darn honest. I'm still careful, but I have grown less cynical.

Thanks for all the answers. Just was looking for some information. At the moment, I don't actually have any money to buy anything even if I wanted to.

Abando

Now I got it... my above comment was directed at the seller not you.

• Members

I think Abando took his serial number ball and went home. He's punishing us for trying to get him to mistrust eBay sellers.

FWIW, I see a lot of honest eBay sellers, but I also see a bunch of them say stuff like "the serial number is filed off, and it has a 'B' stamped on the headstock, but I have no idea what that means."

• Members

Some guitars only have a serial # on a label. labels can be stickers and due to being placed on dusty surface when applied, they can fall out. I see a lot of used guitars without labels...doesn't mean squat.

Yup. The labels on my Martin and Guild have both fallen off. Glad the neck blocks are stamped with the SN.

Archived