Martin 000-18...Thoughts?

epi56ebony

• Members

I've been playing my Martin 000-18 today. Just wondering about the forum's opinion on the guitar.

I really like my D-35s (D and HD) big boomy dreadnaughts. My 000-18 has a sweeter lighter tone and sounds best fingerpicked. When I use the pick with a heavy hand it sounds terrible, but a lighter touch helps immensly.

I've also found if I use a capo, it tightens the strings and then I can really pick and strum away. It then has a very high pitched taut sound.

Agree or disagree with anything I've said? It's a beautiful little guitar, Elvis owned one but traded it for a Martin Dreadnaught, I'm sure cause he wanted more projection and he was a strummer.

• Members

000-18 is a totally classic Martin mahogany guitar. The one's I have played, but new and old have all been superb fingerpickers. 000's were not really built for heavy strumming. My own preference is for Martin's OM models, both for the longer scale and the 1 3/4" nut which suits me better. I have a "poor man's" OM-18 callled the OM-16GT and I love it.

• 8 months later...
  • Members

Been playing my 000-18 a lot recently so I'm gonna bump this thread to see if anyone new would like to comment.

I'd really like to hear comments on the traditional 000-18 not the other models like vintage, norman blake model, golden era etc.

Just the standard bread and butter 000-18.

Let's hear some love or even hate. Would like to read some new comments.

• Members

I also have an OM-21 and it's loud with deep bass and beautiful full sound.

The 000-18 is most definitely not a strummer. Needs a light touch, and responds best to fingerpicking. But the sound while not full like the OM-21 or even like my HD-35 Cannon, has a sweetness all it's own. Light and bouncy.

You are also right that the short scale reduces volume and the body is smaller (less body width) but is also a bit easier to play chords on. Will truly appreicate this feature as I get older and the hands no longer have the strength or worse arthritis.

Took me a while to bond with the guitar since I was used to the big full sounds of the OM and HD.

Every guitar style brings its own sound though.

• Members

OM-21 is an unbelievably fantastic model, IMO. One of the best-conceived Martin guitars ever. At some point in my life, I must own one.

I'm not crazy about the 000-18 in real life. I LOVE the looks, love the specs on paper, but every one I've ever tried out sounded basically lifeless to me. I think it is the combo of the short scale and non-scalloped braces on a little top - just makes it a little bit too tight and quiet for me. I love the basics of the model enough, though, that I had a custom 000-18 made last year. It's basically just a 000-18 but with scalloped braces and a little bit of herringbone trim. Otherwise, extremely close to the original. I love the rosewood fretboard and bridge on the original 18, so I kept those.

• Members

OM-21 is an unbelievably fantastic model, IMO. One of the best-conceived Martin guitars ever. At some point in my life, I must own one.

I'm not crazy about the 000-18 in real life. I LOVE the looks, love the specs on paper, but every one I've ever tried out sounded basically lifeless to me. I think it is the combo of the short scale and non-scalloped braces on a little top - just makes it a little bit too tight and quiet for me. I love the basics of the model enough, though, that I had a custom 000-18 made last year. It's basically just a 000-18 but with scalloped braces and a little bit of herringbone trim. Otherwise, extremely close to the original. I love the rosewood fretboard and bridge on the original 18, so I kept those.

I'm in agreement about the 000-18. Still haven't played one I really liked. I snagged an OM-16GT about five years ago, which has scalloped braces and the longer scale length combined with that great mahogany woodiness. They've since discontinued that model for the 000-16GT, which has the shorter scale length and 1 11/16" nut. My OM is a great strummer and fingerpicker. Usually the first guitar I pick up.

But, the 000-16GT can be viewed as a "poor man's" 000-18, and I think it sounds better.

• Members

I've got a 000- 18 an OM-28V an OM-42 D-35 and a D- 41

The 000- 18 does sound pretty terrible strummed, but flat- picked is almost unsurpassable. I can't get that sound from any other guitar. I love love love my higher end models and always try to record picked parts with them, but as soon as I pick up the 000 I know what guitar I'm going to use.

• Members

I've been playing my Martin 000-18 today. Just wondering about the forum's opinion on the guitar.

I really like my D-35s (D and HD) big boomy dreadnaughts. My 000-18 has a sweeter lighter tone and sounds best fingerpicked. When I use the pick with a heavy hand it sounds terrible, but a lighter touch helps immensly.

I've also found if I use a capo, it tightens the strings and then I can really pick and strum away. It then has a very high pitched taut sound.

Agree or disagree with anything I've said? It's a beautiful little guitar, Elvis owned one but traded it for a Martin Dreadnaught, I'm sure cause he wanted more projection and he was a strummer.

IMABO, THE best model Martin ever made! Very balanced, warm tone.

Archived