What are the lightest steel acoustic strings?

RKO

• Members

I didn't like playing my Breedlove for a long time. Then I discovered the ultralight Elixirs (.10.)

I want to have the action lowered a little bit, so I think I'll have it set up for the lightest possible gauge. Is .10 the lightest you know of?

And I haven't put the tat on her yet, but I still think I might.

• Members

and the purpose of using such light strings is what, exactly?

(just curious, since your guitar likely won't sound very good with them.)

Well, the girl I knew who used such light strings had a tiny (maybe 13" wide at the lower bout) parlor guitar from around the early 1900s (I'm guessing it was along the lines of a Washburn or a Lyon & Healy...looked a lot like the pic, other than the lack of ornate pearl inlays) that was originally built for gut strings, so very light steel strings was all it could likely stand and still survive.

994_171495607_22_54_38@10_20_2003_1.jpg

And on it, those strings really sounded pretty good, kinda like a music box, although on my J-200 (at the time, my No. 1), they sounded VERY wimpy, obviously.

Haven't seen her in many years, so I've no idea what she uses these days.

• Members

I didn't like playing my Breedlove for a long time. Then I discovered the ultralight Elixirs (.10.)

I want to have the action lowered a little bit,
so I think I'll have it set up for the lightest possible gauge. Is .10 the lightest you know of?

That really has no bearing on the gauge of strings to use. I wouldn't below 11's myself...and when I'm really having fun, I brave up to 13's.

My complaint when using very light or extra light gauge strings is a loss of volume, sustain and a thinner sound.

• Members

It'd be kinda wasteful but there are 12-sting sets that are .009-.046 or thereabouts. They're available form Dean Markley, Ernie ball, La Bella, and Rotosound, among others. You could just use the primaries and throw away the octaves or save them for replacements.

• Members

I bought a pair of .10 strings once and I didn't like it.I have some D'Addairo Custom .11's that I love on my Tak,it seems liked a good fit to my ears.You could go with a set of nylon ball ends if you wanted to ease the tension.A good proper set up and light gauge strings will work wonders for you.Is the guitar damaged or warped so that it makes it hard to play? String height too high maybe?

• Members

You will lose some tone and volume with 10s, but if you don't enjoy playing 11s then you won't play as much...so go with the 10s and enjoy.

IMO 9s on acoustic might be pushing it. If you can't get the playability and action you like with 10s you should have it setup by a tech, or perhaps try a different guitar (a more electric acoustic). I have a 1960s Fender Malibu that plays just like an electric guitar. :p

• Members

I want to have the action lowered a little bit, so I think I'll have it set up for the lightest possible gauge. Is .10 the lightest you know of?

You should be able to drop the action and move onto using 11's or even 12's if you're finding 10's comfortable on a higher action. It's obviously your call, but being able to move up a string gauge or two is the usual result. :thu:

• Members

Hey, I'd say use whatever string guage you find comfortable. ;)

Right now I have D'Addario 011 - 052 PB's on my guitar now. I kinda like them and I am a guy who swore by 013's...:lol:

Granted the action is a little higher on this guitar than I'd normally like and the saddle is as low as it'll go but I am now finding the 011's to be comfortable with a more medium action. I don't think I could handle 013's with the same action I have now. I bought a couple of packs of Dean Markley 011 - 046 guage strings (they were cheap) and at the next string change I will give them a shot. I am curious to feel and hear the lighter bass strings.

Archived