Laguna guitars - what's their story?

SoTotally

• Members

I never heard of Laguna guitars before I walked into Guitar Center a couple months ago. The Laguna guy with his Laguna logo'd golf shirt was talking Laguna guitar stuff with the GC guy, looked like he was finalizing a new delivery of Lagunas. They had a bunch out on the floor.

What's the deal with Laguna guitars? Are they junk? Decent? GC cheapie specials? Good stuff?

• Members

I believe it's a house brand made for Guitar Center. The electrics I've played have been pretty good, more of a Charvel look. Haven't played any of the acoustics. Electrics are priced to compete with Fender MIM's.

• Members

Larry50 is correct. You can only find these gits at GC. Produced for the beginner market. Never played one. The headstock seems kinda fancy for a low end guitar. Sometimes that fools inexperienced beginners into thinking it's a really good guitar. But as we all know, you can't judge a git by its bling!

• Members

Originally called Brawley guitars after the founder's last name. GC brought Brawley into corporate and bought his company and renamed the guitars Laguna.

They are a GC housebrand and they are not selling. They are always at the front of all the So. Calif stores but that's wasted space and they would be better served putting a more well known brand in that coveted selling space area.

Again...not selling. Would not be surprised to see the guitars go for 99.99 on clearance someday.

• Members

Originally called Brawley guitars after the founder's last name. GC brought Brawley into corporate and bought his company and renamed the guitars Laguna.

They are a GC housebrand and they are not selling. They are always at the front of all the So. Calif stores but that's wasted space and they would be better served putting a more well known brand in that coveted selling space area.

Again...not selling. Would not be surprised to see the guitars go for 99.99 on clearance someday.

They seem like pretty nice guitars for the money though. They make basses too.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

I bought a Laguna acoustic electric guitar from Guitar Center a couple of weeks ago. It is model number LG300CE. I paid $359.00 . I must say after having it now for two weeks that I love this guitar. For the money you are not going to find a better value than their line of acoustic electrics.

Everybody that has seen mine and played feel like I do!

Guitar Center in Ok. City have had a hard time keeping them in stock ! When I went to purchace my new guitar I had in mine to buy an Epiphone acoustic. After playing it I just felt like it wasn't worth $349.00. So I asked the salesman which to bring me his best guitar in that price range. He came back with his personal favorite which was an Ibanez acoustic electric. Same price and a very good guitar. But what the heck , I asked to bring me one of his other favorites.He brought me the Laguna LG300CE. I played it for 20 minuted or so and I just fell in love with this guitar. I bought it he gave me 10% of because it was a floor model and he did not have any more left . I noticed the next time I went there they had one back up where mine used to be.

Jan Sullins

• Members

As per the previous post they were originally developed by Keith Brawley who had worked at various Guitar stores and manufacturerers. Guitar Center Inc. hired him and took over his line for an in-house brand renamed Laguna.

I don't think they have sold well and there seems to be a lot of deep discounting now on this line. After Christmas expect even more blowouts.

Archived