Wondering about Bently Guitars

madeinmontana

• Members

Hey there... can anyone give me any information on Bently guitars? I cant find any information on them. I have one.. a 5150W acoustic electric.

I heard somewhere that Martin put the Bently name on them because they made them in Korea?

If anyone has any info about them I would love to hear it.

Thanks so much!

Darlene

• 3 years later...
  • Members

Hi my names Jake and i'm a Bently guitar collector.

Bently guitars started back in the early 80s.

Martin did not start the Bently guitar line.

The name was actually started in a company called SLM which stood for

St. Louis Music. The guitar line was made as a cheaper guitar line than Alvarez. Bently guitars were made from 1983 to 1998 and were replaced by the Austin guitar line. Bently guitars started off as acoustics then later on started making electrics then changed the name of the electrics to Series10 and left the acoustics as Bently. I hope this helpd if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

-Jake-

• Members

Howdy Jake. Good info. However, like Deepend I seem to recall a Bently budget line prior to '83. Possibly 'Bentley'? Sounds like your info hits the OP's guitar on the head though.

Jake is correct. My first guitar was a Bently Series 10 electric guitar. I bought it from a mom and pop store that sold all of the SLM guitars and amps.

• 9 years later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Members
On 1/1/2010 at 3:29 PM, JakesBently said:

Hi my names Jake and i'm a Bently guitar collector.

Bently guitars started back in the early 80s.

Martin did not start the Bently guitar line.

The name was actually started in a company called SLM which stood for

St. Louis Music. The guitar line was made as a cheaper guitar line than Alvarez. Bently guitars were made from 1983 to 1998 and were replaced by the Austin guitar line. Bently guitars started off as acoustics then later on started making electrics then changed the name of the electrics to Series10 and left the acoustics as Bently. I hope this helpd if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

-Jake-

Jake - I have an excellent condition Bently 5150R. Are there other Bently collectors out there and is there a place you all go in search of purchasing them?  I’m looking to sell mine. 

• Members

I actually garbage picked a Bently 5105G while walking my dog one morning.  It had the tuners and pegs removed.  I looked at it though and noticed it had a very worn fret board and new frets.  I was intrigued.  I took it home cleaned it up put in new tuners and strung it up.  Then I saw why it was pitched.  The wood on the heal by the body had separated parallel to the top.  A little Elmers glue fixed that.  

So I tuned it up, adjusted the neck and WOW.  This guitar rings out.  The action is not quite as nice as my Rosewood Martin Special that I got from Guitar Center for about $1300 but it rivals the sound and intonation.  I have about $50 in it.  I love it.

I found very little info about the 5105G.  Plenty about 5106G and other models.  Does anyone know anything more about the 5105G?  The one reference was one that Johnny Cash had used and performed with (signed) and authenticated selling for about $50 G. 

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/25138/lot/20/

• 9 months later...
  • Members
On 6/23/2021 at 11:05 AM, Gary 5110 said:

Does anyone know when the Bently guitar model 2105 was made?

Bentleys were around at least in the mid 1970's. I've heard that production stopped in the late 90's. Yours could be nearly 50 years old or it could be newer.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I bought a Bentley acoustic when they first came out. It was under $100 US in the 80’s. It played pretty good and resonated like a champ. It was also about as plain as a guitar could be made. Best guitar for the buck I’ve ever had. I own and have owned many nice and expensive guitars. If the same sound, I’d buy an old Bentley 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members
On 10/31/2021 at 2:50 PM, BubblebeeMalachi said:

I just got a Bently acoustic model 5102 from my moms friend, I'm wondering when it was made. It's not in great condition and I'll have to fix it up a bit. I also want to know what guitar strings I should use, I'm new to playing guitar and not sure what gauge strings are right.

See my response above. It could easily be 25 years old or more. Bentleys weren't great guitars when they were new and yours isn't. Put "light" strings on it (that means 12's for steel strings with most manufacturers) or even lighter to minimize stress.

• 10 months later...
  • Members
On 9/24/2022 at 8:28 PM, Zay420 said:

I have a series 10 green strat. The serial number is No. 104330. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

IF the logo has an S looking like an S and done in a gold finish, it's most likely Japanese. Pre, say 1983 or so. if the S looks like the S in the KISS logo, you know, that lightening bolt thing, then it's Korean.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I have one for 30 years. Bought an acoustic from Minstrel music in Niles, IL on Milwaukee Ave in 1991. I paid $235. The guitar has the best action. I own many other guitars including Martin X. But Bentley has a unique feel. The assembly is very strong. I never had to adjust the neck. Got some beating from my kids when they were toddlers. Love the guitar. It’s a shame they don’t make them anymore.