Nylon guitars with slim necks?

cpbarn

• Members

I'm looking for a nylon stringed guitar with a electric-type slim neck. Godin has them but they're quite expensive and I was wondering if there are any other alternatives out there. Didn't find much googling.. Hope you guys can help!

• Members

That looks exactly what I'm looking for, assuming it sounds all right? I also found the Fender CDN240SCE which has 46mm nut width and also seems to have very good fret access at the cutaway:

0972405021_md.jpg

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0972405021

Yep..recently I tried a non-cutaway version of a new Fender classical guitar and I was pleasantly suprised at the slimmer neck width. :thu:

• Members

I tried to read some reviews about the Fender and the Ibanez but nobody mentions anything about the intonation, which imo is something that is crucial (at least for me) in a cheap instument. For those of you who has played them, how is the intonation?

• Members

If you can live without a slothead or a classical git, per se, just put nylons on a git of your choice. Adjust the neck relief and file nut slots to accommodate string diameters.

Several people have nylons on dread-size gits and they sound pretty cool. Our friend Garthman is one of those people and I'm sure he'd be happy to send you a clip if you like.

• Members

And I'd love to hear a clip if it isn't too much trouble!

No trouble at all:

[YOUTUBE]kuuc0f0frLE[/YOUTUBE]

Sorry the vid is a bit blurred - it was my first time use of a webcam. Like Sam says, the conversion is easy. You can obtain ball-end nylon strings (La Bella, D'Addario and Martin do them) or just tie one or two knots on the end of loop-end strings (that's what I do). Thread the strings through the tuner peghole as normal but pull the end that comes through tight as you wind up the tension. Don't worry too much about this - if you get too many winds around the peg you can slacken off all the strings after a few days and retighten them.

You will probably need to widen the nut slots for the treble strings (the bass slots will be fine) - best way is to string up first then just pull each string to one side of the slot and sand it down using a small piece of folded, fine-grit emery paper - take it slowly, put the string back in the slot and check if depth is OK (there should be a very slight gap between bottom of string and top of 1st fret when you press down the string at the 3rd fret). Repeat as necessary until correct. When that is done, check neck relief - fret the 6th string at the 1st and 17th fret - there should be a gap large enough to slip in a credit card between the bottom of the string and the top of the 7th fret. If not, slacken off the 3rd and 4th strings and push to one side to get at the tension rod adjuster - slacken off by 1/4 turn - recheck string gap - continue until gap is correct - retune and enjoy playing.

• Members

The Alvarez RC20SC has a narrow neck.

I can't find any specs, do you know the exact nut width?

Oh and they don't seem to have any resellers here in Finland.. :(

So far my real alternatives are the Fender CDN240SCE and the Ibanez GA5TCE. I'm sure even entry model Taylors are great but at that price I'd rather go for the Godin ACS-SA Slim. The Alvarez could be great if I found one somewhere, my brother has an Alvarez AD60 which is probably the best value for money I've ever seen/heard in that price range.

• Members

I also found the Fender CDN240SCE which has 46mm nut width and also seems to have very good fret access at the cutaway:

As a note, the Ibanez neck joint is at the 14th fret so the access is basically the same except the Ibanez has more frets!

• Members

. . . unless you want to switch back!
:D
Should probably do it with a spare nut in store.

Switching back is no problem if you use folded emery cloth to widen the nut slots - the nylon trebles are much thicker so you don't usually have to go as deep as the original slot to get the correct depth - if you restring with steel the strings just sit in the bottom of the slot at their original depth. All you need do then is tighten up the truss rod by the same amount you slackened it.

BTW the nylon strings will work fine with a normal piezo UST pick up and EQ (they won't work with a magnetic soundhole PU).

Archived