VOM 23 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, January 10, 2010

Stackabones

• Members

So for my entry this month it's a little Pink Floyd instrumental cover of "Is There Anybody Out There". I played it on my Silvercreek T-170. Hope you all like it, and I 'm lookiing forward to hearing all y'alls stuff!

That was gorgeous CC. I love it as an instrumental. I don't mind the heavy breathing one bit...kind of like Kwak's rugrats and my yowling cats and basement crickets. Or Frets' dancer. Makes it all the more real-time.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
StackabonesMichael Martin...Great song man. So... you where falling for a girl and had to compete with another guy?

Er, it's complicated. Very, very complicated. There is absolutely no way to even begin to deal with this except by writing songs about it. :)

But I really did XC ski in the wee hrs of 1/1, after a boisterous party, under the influence of Yukon Jack, with a small group of friends. She wasn't there that night, but I guess in another sense she was right there with me every humiliating and chastening step of the way. And then the song basically wrote itself just a few hrs later.

Thanks for the feedback!

• Members

Stirring, Tony. Your pieces always have such power. They really stand up staunchly as instrumentals.

Thank you sir. I do spend a lot time trying to make them as musically interesting as I can get them.

Cool beard too!

That is seasonal. End of March and it will be gone again unless we have snow until then!

Thanks

Tony

• Members

Here is one I had fun learning. I went to a writers site to better learn how to write a story song. And this is the result. Written/recorded a few years ago. recorded in one sitting with my acoustic electric guitar in one take with one vocal track and one guitar track.

Are you a Hummingbird brother?! It didn't SOUND like a 'bird, but the pic...? Anyway, cool story song. Any intended reference or connection to KK's "Me and Bobbie McGee"? The name is so close, although the song isn't...just wondered.

• Members

Dropping in for a short visit.

Since so many other muti-track tunes have been posted I decided to put up my remake of a Shel Silverstein tune,
, from the Dakota Night CD. It is all acoustic with the exception of the bass guitar and, keeping somewhat in the context of the VOM1T, the majority of the tracks, if not all, were done in one take. Memory fails me there....

Very cool! Had no idea SS wrote songs of that ilk. Nice guitars and vocals--very well-put-together all around.

• Members

Hills Around Here
. Picked up from a line in Texico Chapter 2. Wrote this quickly. True VOM1T. Zoom recorded. First original I wrote in a month so it was good to get it out. Really, a song regarding perseverence in the repeated face of tough circumstances. Or even silence. Keep on listening. One day, or night, you will hear.

Yeah, I can relate!! I enjoy the spare, urgent vibe. This came from the place that songs must come from. On recording, I'd cut back the 'verb a bit. Makes it feel a bit too hollow and distant, when you want a touch more intimacy methinks.

• Members

is a well-known bossa nova song, a worldwide hit in the mid-1960s that won a Grammy for Record of the Year in 1965. It was written in 1962, with music by Antonio Carlos Jobim.

Yes, I remember this song. My parents must've had it on an LP. It reminds me of being very little and a hi-fi in the living room stacked with 33 1/3s. The version we had had a vocal, sung by a woman. I remember the line "oh how he watches so sadly..."

Well done!

• Members

Here we are! I decided to take out one of my gadgets for this. I used a Varichord capo on my Blueridge 160. The Varichord can be used to access open tunings without having to retune. Here's what a Varichord looks like:

Wow. What a contraption! Beautiful composition, and I like the recording quality very much as well. Kind of like Sammye's--such an intimate sensibility.

• Members
Hmmm...something buggered up the download--it started but it didn't finish (?)

Well, look fwd to hearing it later maybe.

Thanks for trying... I was able (thanks to Joe) to upload the song to the VOM server.... give it a try when you can and let me know if you have an issue!

Thanks!

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php?p=play&id=orbm1/Sincera_confesion.mp3

Omar :thu:

• Members

I must say, I REALLY enjoyed the variety of entries this month. Listening to everyone was the best part of my day today!

Tbryson: Cool doubling effect with the vocals and I liked your "George Solo" in the middle! :)

Kwak: Oh what a great song given the winter we are having so far!!! Sometime why don't you tell us all about your new MARTIN! (or maybe you did and I missed it?)

Garthman: So much texture and mood in your playing and singing.....outstanding!!

Fussenkuh: Cool effect on your vocal and I really liked your cover of the Black Sabbath song....Ozzie would be proud! :)

bobc: Those Strats are like heroin, aren't they? :) Very gentle and dreamy vibe to your (and your sister's) song.

Stack: Your rhythm guitar part really lays a great foundation. Great vocal and lyrics. But that Cal.....I'm not sure I liked him much.... ;)

Starrshine: Very very dreamy......loved the hammered dulcimer, almost like wind chimes....

Michael Martin: You are a great songwriter! The chorus lyric is brilliant! And I liked the instrumentation, the mandolin adds such a good vibe.....

fatback: Excellent right hand work and I really enjoyed your melody...er...medley! :D

Fendouglas: Really excellent song, and very well sung!

Frets99: OK, hands down, you win the award for Biggest Smile Factor! :D:D

chriscarnucci: One of my all-time fave bands, you played the guitar part very well! Next time, let's hear the lyrics, too! :)

BlackHatHunter: I don't know the Dunn original, but I thought your version was very moving!

Chicken Monkey: Yee-Haw! Great energy and fun lyrics!! Put this in your pipe and smoke it!!! :D

TSMusic: Great energy in your playing and a nice mix of chords and single line runs. Well done!

C70man: Simply Beautiful. And Moving. Now, where's my box of tissues?....

Taylor Davis: Well, you obviously learned your lesson well from that writer's site.....great job!

Dak: Great to have you back in these here parts! LOVED the song you posted.....made me want to dance!

hypcollector: Great song and I liked your lyrics and vocal delivery!

FXR: Great Nirvana tune! You sang it very well!!!

Sami: Love the deep sound and texture of your guitar and your silky voice!!

Q: A Cool-Chord-Classic if ever there was one! Great job with it!

Northstar: A cool contraption you've got for your guitar! Loved the sond of the strummed chords with melody on top. And the chords and voicings were very "un-guitaristic" which made them sound very interesting!

orbm1: Ooooh....you win the award for best JAZZ entry! Loved it!!

chordchunker: Great reel.....you played it superbly!!!

• Members

Tell us more--who all is playing here? Where were you playing when this was recorded? That's quite the performance. And surely this was a song that did not sound like what I expected, from the title! A "reel"?
:confused:

Attention Chordchunker: This is too funny. No wonder I was nonplussed--it was orbm1's download kicking in just as I clicked on your reel, and I thought he was you. I'm thinking, what kinda reel is sung in Spanish? By a smoky jazz band no less? :) Well then. As to your ACTUAL submission--very crisp and delicious. Strings sounded good to me! Love that playing style. Sorry for all the confusion.

Archived