VOM 23 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, January 10, 2010

Stackabones

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Original piece played on a 1978 spruce/Indian Manuel Velazquez classical guitar:

Recording chain is a pair of Audio Technica 4041's into Presonus Firebox into Cubase on an iMac. A little bit of compression and reverb were added in Cubase.

If anyone is interested in the music for this piece, I wrote it out and can post it.

Loved it.

Phil

• Members

Hey Everyone....Happy 2010,

I didn't have much time to work on something this month, but I was playing around with my new micprophones and recorded this, just incase I needed something for the VOM. I love these mics but I have a lot to learn about home recording. These mics are so hot they pick up everything...breathing, computer noice etc... I managed to EQ out the computer noice but not my breathing. Like I said I have a ton to learn, but this is going to be so much fun!

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php?p=play&id=chriscarnucci/Pink_Floyd_-_Is_There_Anybody_Out_There_Acoustic_Cover.mp3

So for my entry this month it's a little Pink Floyd instrumental cover of "Is There Anybody Out There". I played it on my Silvercreek T-170. Hope you all like it, and I 'm lookiing forward to hearing all y'alls stuff!

• Members

One of mine, recorded last Thursday on my Fender parlor. It's just loud enough when I have my computer and the YouTube player cranked--no idea how to boost the volume on a Mac.

This was not my first take, but it was the first take I finished without the mic cord rubbing against the guitar strings, my wife yelling down the stairs, or the cat jumping on my desk. That still counts, right?

• Members

Tbryson, that was great. A regular Beatles virtuoso. Can't wait to hear what you'll have for us next month.

Kwak, nicely done. This, and Sleigh Ride, are my two favorite Christmas songs. You make it look easy so I'll have to give it a try this year. Love the sound of the Martin too. The Zoom really captures some nice sound.

Frets99, very entertaining. Nice job on the pop tune too.

• Members

I'm trying to get into the non-linear arrangement here, so I hope the people I've skipped will forgive me--I'll try to get back to watch and listen to everyone.

Michael Martin--I really wanted to hear this, because reading over the verses, I couldn't scan it. It sounds really natural for such an unusual structure, and the story is well-told.

Frets--I'd love to know how you got such a loud, undistorted sound on YouTube. This is a great performance, and I like the island vibe.

bobc--YouTube is incredibly slow today, so I've only heard the beginning, but your fingerpicking is amazing--such balance and clarity. What effects are you running it through?

tbryson--I think--should have known better--Are you double tracking the vocals? It sounds good.

• Members

Greetings

Here is my submission for this month. The song is called Daybreak Awaits and it is from my second CD 'Last Sun'. It's kind of a bouncy acoustic rock song, not a real barn burner but nothing to take a nap by either. This wasn't exactly a once and done recording, I made a practice run that was perfect, then proceeded to have a series of brain farts on the first 4 tries. Old age, remember it while you still can. If you go to my Soundclick page, the CD version of the song has both lead and rhythm guitars and 2 bass tracks. It was a bit of an experiment, some folks liked it, others didn't but I think it sounds neat. But that's just me

Anyways

Enjoy

Tony

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Stackabones
Thats a great song...:thu: Was that a friend of yours?

Starrshine
That is a beautiful piece. Nice work.

Michael Martin
Great song man. So... you where falling for a girl and had to compete with another guy?

fatback
Very nice playing. Way to put it together.

Fendouglas
Great song and great debut.

Frets99
Great job...:thu: Your kid stole the show though...:)

g6120
Your link takes me to a log in page...:confused:

riffmeister
Truly beautiful song. Very nice work.

chriscarnucci
Very nice job. Those mic's sound awesome.

BlackHatHunter
Great job. Your singing is just fine too.

Chicken Monkey
Good job and nice original.

TSMusic
Cool song and nice playing.

• Members
That was an unusual piece - thats the first time I've listened to a hammered dulcimer. I have a mountain dulcimer but a very rarely play it. What's and Udu drum?

:thu:

Phil

The hammered dulcimer seems to be getting to be a more popular instrument. I have to admit that I run into a lot of people who have no idea what it is. Udu drums are clay pot drums that originated in Nigeria and are used by many latin percussionist.
Bob

• Members

This was not my first take, but it was the first take I finished without the mic cord rubbing against the guitar strings, my wife yelling down the stairs, or the cat jumping on my desk. That still counts, right?

We had a discussion about what is and isn't. IMO your submission is VOM1T. ;)

Killer tune, btw.

• Members

Kwak...very cool with the whole sound of the kids in the background and the feeling of Christmas. Only thing missing was a Christmas tree beside you, and snow...

garthman...neat sound. Dig that old world style.

Fussenkuth...Good going. The singing didn't match up at first but it gets closer and better as the song moves along. Your really getting better at it. Keep up the work on that goal.

bobc...I tried several times last night to play your song but it would not come up...sorry.

Deep End...Good feel and chords to it.

Stack...Great ryhthm and timing. Nice percussive beat and playing on the guitar. Great lyric, really well written. One of the best I have read on the net. Wow.

• Members

I am so, so, sorry. That is the funniest song I've listened to in a long time. Now I feel such guilt getting such pleasure out of your misfortune. Wasn't about an English girl was it?

I'm not sure which bits I liked the most the tune or the lyric. But I think both will be with me for a couple of days. Is a mandolin very difficult to play because I love the sound you get from it.

Brilliant

Phil

Thanks Phil! No, she's not English. I wish! Always had a thing for English accents. I barely play mando, but can find some cool little bits sometimes. Here I'm really just using the top two string pairs...it helps that the song is just A E and D, with a few suspensions--very mando-friendly chords. You should get a mando--great fun. This is an old Harmony A-style mando found on Craigslist for $40. A new year's resolution is to learn to play it!

And now on to reviews of the first batch:

tbryson: Ah yes, a fave Beatles tune. I actually once stole a line from this song for one of my own, as a tribute. I enjoyed your multi-tracking, and especially the harmonizing. It did seem that at times you weren't harmonizing in places where you could have been--I tended to like the parts where the voices diverged better than where they tracked together. Also would recommend not separating the two (panning) quite so dramatically. Cool solo! Hmmm, maybe double the solo too, give it a bit more beef?

Kwak: The headless troubador! Gotta say I love the background rug-rat ambience. Some people endeavor to eliminate extraneous sounds in their recording environments, but I think it's wonderful. Well-played...wish I could use finger picks like that. Also wish I had your vocal range. Fine performance overall...and timely, what with the conditions hereabouts...

Garth: Did not know of this song. Everybody tells me to get into Leonard Cohen and I really should. Beautiful song. Love the spare woodiness of your guitar tone, and really admire your vocals on this as with your previous submissions. I wish I had an interesting accent. Is that an alternate tuning?

Fuss: Another headless guitarist! I'd not heard of this song either. Love it when people convert band songs to acoustic renditions, and this song really stands up well for a solo thing like this. There was an odd "doubling" of the vocal coming through that didn't seem intentional--like it was on two tracks or perhaps picked up on two different mikes (?). And the guitar had a very metallic flavor. Maybe some recording-controls tweakage in order here.

bobc: A really lovely tune--nice job with the songwriting as well as the performance. The Strat sounds sweet and dreamy...perfect atmospherics for the sentiment in the lyrics. Is the pedal set on chorus, or is there more going on? Really like that sound, and the use of the Strat for the fingerstyle. I think I'll give that a try on mine...which PU setting are you on?

DeepEnd: Aw now you got me feeling guilty for using a bad word in my title. Very uplifting. I guess songs don't necessarily have to always be about pain, torment, loss and regret, do they? :) A two-chord wonder! And a song about making music with all manner of devices. Nice.

Stack: What a story! As usual, your performance is fab--guitar and vocals but also just how it all goes together. I think it's fantastic that you had the lyrics from so long ago and were able to dust them off and bring poor old Cal back to life this way. I always have a hard time going back to try and finish some musical project left undone--Bob Dylan has said it's one of the saddest things, because it so rarely works when you attempt it. Maybe it's not as hard when you have the lyrics first? (I never do it that way for some reason)

Starrshine: Ah the heavenly gorgeousness of the hammer dulcimer. Those things just fill the room. I loved this composition, and especially the way the guitar and the dulcimer are so independent, and yet complementary, weaving their way around each other, having a conversation. That drum in the middle is cool sounding--not familiar with that type.

fatback: Really enjoyed the low-tech recording vibe. It sounds like something from WAY back when, so perfect for this sort of thing. Well-played! Very cool to merge the two pieces--it's seamless. And very interesting that you're switching genres...that seems like something we should all do in order to "grow" musically.

fendouglas: "Lonesome Traveler"--don't be so modest--I love your version! And what a great story (not to mention a good lesson I s'pose). Thematically kind of like Stack's. And what a perfect hook/refrain. If you'd ever care to post the lyrics, I'd love to cover this. Congrats on the VOM debut also.

• Members
  • Members

Dropping in for a short visit.

Since so many other muti-track tunes have been posted I decided to put up my remake of a Shel Silverstein tune, Stayin' Song, from the Dakota Night CD. It is all acoustic with the exception of the bass guitar and, keeping somewhat in the context of the VOM1T, the majority of the tracks, if not all, were done in one take. Memory fails me there....

• Members

Kwak: That new Martin sounds GREAT tuned down. Congrats on the purchase.

bobc: It's really hard for me to turn other people's words into a coherent song. I've tried a couple times and I'm just not cut out for it, I guess. You, however, nailed it! I enjoyed it.

Stack: That MM is a bluesy fingerpicking monster. Great job!

MM: I love the chorus, real catchy. Nice job!

Frets: This. Was. Great. The interpretive dance was amazing. "No one." "Not one person." So funny! You two make a great team.

C70: Let us know if that artist ends up doing your song! It's always cool to hear someone else's interpretation of your music.

• Members

Fatback...someday, along time from now I would like to be able to do that.

Fendouglas...Wow...really nice...mix was cool

Fretts99...Great sound on the guitar and the playing...Impressive. Nice job junior!!

g6120...it wouldn't play...sorry

riffmeister...That is some inspired playing. Beautiful

ChrisC...Nice Pink Floyd. Very good smooth playing.

Blackhat...Ronnie Dunn can sing and you did really well. Tough to do him!

Chicken Monkey...Good writing...Dig the oregano hook! Good all the way through. Your experience is evident. Good playing and singing and writing!

• Members

The hammered dulcimer seems to be getting to be a more popular instrument. I have to admit that I run into a lot of people who have no idea what it is. Udu drums are clay pot drums that originated in Nigeria and are used by many latin percussionist.

Bob

Thanks for that. I love the airyness of the sound.

Phil

• Members

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement.

Fatback...I get these from this place...it gives all the chords, where the change is and the ability to transpose to a key you like...I would love for you to play the harp on this...The song was done by them in G...it went G D G D and so on...I used key of C....C G7 C G7 and so on. Look it up here...http://www.chordie.com/

Chicken Monkey...The way I do these is sing the basic lyric...then I step further back from the mic and sing it again then when I mix I pan one vocal 60% right and the main vocal 40% left to give it a harmony effect.

M. Martin...I try singing completly a third different and some of the time I pull it off, but I have found it really hard to do harmony without it sounding and being double tracked but I don't just copy the track I try to sing a seprate track to get it to sound like this..

Thanks everyone for comments and listening...I'm a hack just having as much fun as my limited experience allows.

• Members

Hills Around Here. Picked up from a line in Texico Chapter 2. Wrote this quickly. True VOM1T. Zoom recorded. First original I wrote in a month so it was good to get it out. Really, a song regarding perseverence in the repeated face of tough circumstances. Or even silence. Keep on listening. One day, or night, you will hear.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=908060&songID=8567450

we got hills around here

we got hills around here

been walking the smooth road my dear

we got hills around here

ain't no easy days here

ain't no easy days here

and nobody gonna shed a tear

ain't no easy days here

the fruits all gone from this vine

don't know why i'm still trying

keep talking and i'll try to hear

haven't heard anything in years

we got hills around here

we got hills around here

been talking the smooth road my dear

we got hills around here

• Members

Here I am trying Nirvana - About a Girl. It's a little pitchey on the vocals in some spots, but it's one take and I only learned in on Monday. So, into to fire!

[YOUTUBE]ctVDR5oLmso[/YOUTUBE]

Nirvana

• Members

C70Man - ya made me choke up a bit. Can I play it too?
Chicken Monkey - I want words and music, that's good ole time fun.
Frets - speaking of fun, you never let us down.

I went to the big box and asked for an H4n. 3 weeks.....hahahaha. Next month maybe I can join in.
Thanks to all.

Archived