VOM 23 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, January 10, 2010

Stackabones

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Absentee Postings

tbryson Comments:

OK...another in the Beatles travels of yesteryear. I have a cold so anyway I did this this morning Wed the 6th. One guitar track played all the way through, one lead vocal sung all the way through, one harmony vocal all the way through, one simple lead which is the first lead ever performed by these hands! Close as I could get it. Not a VOM1T but fun.

Absentee Post from:
tbryson

Title:
I should have known better

Credits:
Beatles

kwakatak Comments:

It's been snowing for a week and the weatherman says it'll snow for another week so this holdover from the holidays seemed appropriate.

Absentee Post from:
kwakatak

Title:
Let It Snow

Credits:
Sammy Cahn and Jule Styne

garthman Comments:

It's been a while since I did a Leonard Cohen song so here is my version of 'The Gypsy's Wife' which appeared on the 1979 album 'Recent Songs' (one of Cohen's best albums IMO).

Played on my nylon string dreadnought. One take with my computer mike via Audacity.

PS. If you don't already have it, go and buy the DVD 'Live In London' recorded at the O2 arena during his 2008 tour.

Absentee Post from:
garthman

Title:
The Gypsy's Wife

Credits:
Leonard Cohen

FussenKuh Comments:

Ahhhh... the first VOM of 2010. I can't wait to check out everyone's tunes.

As for my entry this month, truth be told, I wouldn't have known that this song existed if it wasn't for the fact that it was frequently played by Axl Rose during Guns 'n Roses concerts as an intro to November Rain.

The song is completely piano driven. However, I neither have a piano nor can I play the piano. So, I decided to record an acoustic guitar version instead... complete with some less-than-impressive vocals.

My initial goal was to create a one-take rendition. However, I couldn't get my mic to play nicely with both my voice and guitar. So, I ended up having to record guitar and vocals separately.

As always, it ain't perfect... but, at least it's short
;)
Any feedback (good, bad or ugly) is always appreciated.

I hope someone enjoys it!

Absentee Post from:
FussenKuh

Title:
It's Alright

Credits:
Black Sabbath

• Members

This is an original titled: I Miss You

It's a poem that my sister wrote back when she was a teenager. She asked me to turn it into a song for her, and this is how it came out.

I just got finished recording it using my new American Standard Strat through my Digitech RP150 effects pedal and into my fishman SoloAmp. The output of the SoloAmp is going into the mic in on my camcorder so I could get better sound.

I know it's not acoustic guitar, but I hope you like it still.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Another absentee

It's a praise/worship song titled "Let's All Praise the Lord," based on Psalm 150. I had the melody and chorus for quite a while before I figured out what to do about the verses. It's basically a two chord wonder, D and G, with variations of those two chords.

• Members

Breakup song. What more can I say. Written at 7am 1/1/10, whilst enjoying a hangover following events described in verse three.

http://www.box.net/shared/tgdhjfaz4q

5 tracks: Vocal, MexiStrat, Hummingbird, mando, tambo. All but Strat into AT2020 mike to a Fostex VF80 recorder (minor EQ tweaking here and there), m4a output file converted to mp3.

Lyrics:

Happy {censored}ing New Year

• Members

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php?p=play&id=fatback/West_Coast_Buckdancer_2010_Jan_9.mp3

So I changed my mind and decided to record something anyway. Still attempting to change music genres I bought myself a Mel Bay music book on Friday (Best Traditional tunes) and from it put together a version on Buckdancers Choice (the first part anyway) this being short I added on Westcoast blues by Blind Blake to create a melody (I mean medley).

So here we have Westcoast Buckdancers.

Phil

• Members

Tbyson - I loved the break you did in the middle. You have inspired me to try a beatles number of my own. Good job. I had a go with the harmonica during that unfortunately I think I was in the wrong key.

Are you plundering the Complete Beatles Song book of some such publication. If you are, could you do me a favour and bang across the chords for Her Majesty please. I think that little ditty could suit my voice and playing style. If you can't no worries I'll just have to get off my backside and do it for myself. Anyway good start to vom this month.

Phil

• Members

Kwak

I love that song and your rendition of it. However going for the ahhhhhh factor is little unfair. I'll have to get my little one (well eight year old) to sing if that carries on. (She's still cute - the other two not quite so). Any way good job. Its snowing here at the moment.

Phil

• Members

Well, here goes! This is one of mine from way back (but seldom played - for reasons given elsewhere). The melody is nowhere near as good as the one that 'Melodious/Pitar' wrote for it - but I haven't learned that yet - Melodeous' (excellent) version was, however, posted on HCAF a month or so a go (by Krash). I thought is might be a good starter for my VOM1T debut.

Recorded, this morning (after celebrating the beloved's birthday until late last night), using a Tascam US122L; Simultaneous Guitar (Ibanez LE300) & Vocal using sEX1 Mic; mixed using Krystal Audio Engine and converted to MP3 format using Audacity.

http://www.box.net/shared/a5ypmvpn2r

• Members

Well, here goes! This is one of mine from way back (but seldom played - for reasons given elsewhere). The melody is nowhere near as good as the one that 'Melodious/Pitar' wrote for it - but I haven't learned that yet - Melodeous' (excellent) version was, however, posted on HCAF a month or so a go (by Krash). I thought is might be a good starter for my VOM1T debut.

Recorded, this morning (after celebrating the beloved's birthday until late last night), using a Tascam US122L; Simultaneous Guitar (Ibanez LE300) & Vocal using sEX1 Mic; mixed using Krystal Audio Engine and converted to MP3 format using Audacity.

• Members

Breakup song. What more can I say. Written at 7am 1/1/10, whilst enjoying a hangover following events described in verse three.

5 tracks: Vocal, MexiStrat, Hummingbird, mando, tambo. All but Strat into AT2020 mike to a Fostex VF80 recorder (minor EQ tweaking here and there), m4a output file converted to mp3.

Lyrics:

Happy {censored}ing New Year

• Members

hypcollector suggested I submit this one.
:wave:

Original tune & based on a true story. Fingerpicked on my Morgan Monroe MV-01. I wrote the lyrics about a decade ago and wrote the music Dec 31, 2009. VOM1T.

Well so long feel good factor Chris. Happy little picking with a dead miserable story line. Glad I listened though. You seem to like playing with ambiguity don't you.

Enjoyed it

Phil

• Members

Here is my submission for this month, an original called Secret Dream. Altho this is a multi-track each track is a VOMIT. Instruments are: Hammered dulcimer, Guild JF-30, and Udu drum.

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php?p=play&id=Starrshine/Secret_Dream.mp3

Bob

That was an unusual piece - thats the first time I've listened to a hammered dulcimer. I have a mountain dulcimer but a very rarely play it. What's and Udu drum?

:thu:

Phil

• Members

Original piece played on a 1978 spruce/Indian Manuel Velazquez classical guitar:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=901761&songID=8567190

Recording chain is a pair of Audio Technica 4041's into Presonus Firebox into Cubase on an iMac. A little bit of compression and reverb were added in Cubase.

If anyone is interested in the music for this piece, I wrote it out and can post it.

Archived