Alvarez Yairi DY-77

VintageToneGuy

• Members

Buy it!!! NOW!! GREAT guitars...just did a little research. Since we don't know what year etc. average Yairi is bringing about 600 on ebay. There is one dy-77 listed currently. Bidding is at 380.00 with 12 hours left, but there are 12 bids so far. I wouldn't be surprised to see it go for over 600. Buy that guitar now!

Good luck.

• Members

Buy it!!! NOW!! GREAT guitars...just did a little research. Since we don't know what year etc. average Yairi is bringing about 600 on ebay. There is one dy-77 listed currently. Bidding is at 380.00 with 12 hours left, but there are 12 bids so far. I wouldn't be surprised to see it go for over 600. Buy that guitar now!

And then EBAY the {censored} outta it.

• Members

That model is anywhere from 15 to 30+ years old. From what I can find with a quick Google search, it was originally made in the mid 70's and reissued in the mid 90's. It could have serious issues. If you can live with it in its current condition, that's a great price. If not, a neck reset (probable worst case) won't cheap. you can easily spend twice what the guitar costs. $750 isn't a terrible price but it ain't great either.

• Members

Good luck.

It's a 1973 model and I think someone got to him before me :(

• 10 years later...
  • Members
On 1/17/2010 at 1:57 PM, VintageToneGuy said:

Good luck.

It's a 1973 model and I think someone got to him before me :(

If ANYone ever gets a chance at a 70s vintage DY-77, DO NOT pass it up!  I tried every Martin in the shop, and was only impressed by the D-45 (which I could not afford),  The shop guy suggested I try this Japanese axe, and so I did.  It blew EVERY Martin (except the D-45) out of the water, and was cheaper as well, so I bought it.  I still have it, and it will be 50 years old in 2023.  The 70s were weak years for both Martin and Gibson.  Not for Alvarez-Yairi.

So if you can score one in good shape from the early years and for less than $1,000, DO NOT hesitate.  Grab it.

Archived