VOM 25 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, February 14, 2010

Stackabones

• Members

nice song blu.....your vocals are easy to dig, soft ground. great to have you at vom. joe, great work on the streaming functionality. makes it very easy to take in the songs.....hearing great stuff this month. as always. stack, thanks again for hosting. over 40 submissions would seem to be the most ever. finally wrote a new one (hoboken). inspired and motivated by the artists here.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My submission this month... I did a classic: Garota de Ipanema (Girl From Ipanema)...I just recorded it one take (back from a date with my wife of 10 years!
:D
)

Guitar: Gibson 335 to interface, T-racks comp, reverb...

Intruments: Guitar, Bass, Piano, Drums....

Sorry, it is a little long... hope you guys enjoy it... I will start listening to the songs tonight....

• Members

I'm flattered and humbled by your comment and request. Yes, of course, perform it as often as you can. I've been looking to get into the cat market!
:)

Thanks for trusting me with it, yo. Need to work at it for a while to do it any justice at all. Killer song. And my cats have a lot of pull in that market...

Still haven't been able to listen to everything else, but can't wait. Awesome stuff so far.

Edit: Also, to the folks who've commented on my submit, thank you so much for the generous comments. They mean a lot to me.

• Members

Poppy,

Like you, I'm just starting out. It's really hard to post at our stage in this journey, but I think it's important that we do. Can we play like some (most) of these guys? Not a chance... yet. But posting is kind of like lighting the fire under our butts.

As for the piece you posted, nothing awful about it. Congrats on having the stones to post! You and I can be the "NOOB" contingent from here on out on future VOM's.

Poppy. No such thing as wasting bandwidth on a valid try. The day someone suggests that someone else is not good enough to play in the VOM will be the day that my association with the event ends.

My Turn

And to put music where my mouth is, I am gonna help you and LiFeStArTs@40 with a little bandwidth usage of my own.

And Yes, folks, I know it sucks, but my first ever VOM entry in support of my fellow beginners. Bad timing, lousy voice, and going too dam fast, again.. :facepalm:

Title: Behind Blue eyes

Credit: The Who

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php?p=play&id=Ohioarrow/Behind_Blue_Eyes.mp3

and yea, I had to splice the end of it because the mic boom walked away from me, on it's own dang it. :lol: And then I had to it too close to my mouth, sheesh.. So I even violated the 1 take principal of the event.

• Members

Well, by my clock it's almost closing time ... but you know what? If it's still Second Sunday where you live, keep posting. Even it's a bit past Second Sunday and Monday Morning is blinking its bright eyes in your face ...

post 'em if you got 'em!

The mic is still on if you need it ...

• Members
And Yes, folks, I know it sucks, but my first ever VOM entry in support of my fellow beginners. Bad timing, lousy voice, and going too dam fast, again..
:facepalm:

Title: Blue eyes

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php?p=play&id=Ohioarrow/Behind_Blue_Eyes.mp3

I guess we now know where you've been hiding! Solid job, Joe. Good to know that your talents run deep. I've spoken to you on the phone, but I had no idea what your singing voice sounded like. I expect to hear more in future VOMs. :)

Eventually, you should make this a family affair. ;)

• Members

Wow.. We shattered participation records on this anniversary! 42 performances. Best ever, new people galore. Gotta love this event.

I have had my hand full today folks, been running behind the scenes on the VOM, transferring music to the streamer, and dealing with a burnt up water pump. :facepalm:

SO Please, as always check my work at the Archive site: http://vom.infocusreviews.com make sure your entry was included and is correct.

I have received a number of PMs and emails today on support matters, I have tried to take care of everyone, but the day has run away from me. I hope I got to everyone. If not... Hit me again.

Happy Anniversary VOM! And a grand one it was.

• Members

I hope to get through the songs by weeks end....yeah, got a new job and it starts early (8a) and I don't get home till after 7p....oh well, at least its money coming in. Anyhow, I'll be posting my responses as I get through them....and it looks like a nice collection this month....very cool.

Queequeg.....wow, talk about bringing back memories...beautifully done.

BlackHatHunter...good job.

Tbryson.....Love hearing the Beatle tunes...but there's nothing's harder to sing than a Beatle song... A for effort.

Shoot, gotta get to work....be back later.

• Members

There's some great performances this month. Bravo to everyone.

illinihoops - very creative writing. Amazing quality from the iPhone recording.

Oldskool Texas - Wow. Loved that one. Very powerful. And an excellent recording as well.

Glenn F - What a cool tune and you two did it superbly. That sounded great. Bravo on your first submission.

Knockwood - That was awesome, Knock. Some nice pickin' and you got the voice to match. Great job.

Garthman - Well done, sir. I always look forward to your songs.

Frets99 - What style. You put your stamp on every song you do.

riffmeister - That was beautiful. You played that so well. Didn't sound "stiff" to me. You nailed it.

hypcollector - Nice tune from that poem. If you hadn't mentioned it was an existing poem, I would have thought it was an original. It has your familiar flavor to it.

LiFeStArTs@40 - if that's where you're at after only a year, you are making stellar progress. That was really good. No apologies needed for that piece. Great job.

TSMusic - nice piece, Tony. A little bumpy on the timing here and there, but it's not like you're playing cowboy chords there. I was closing my eyes and thinking of the title picture. Nice marriage of sight and sound.

OldGuitarPlayer - Great performance. Love the harp in there. Gotta learn me that one. I liked that.

RKO - what a cool song for Valentine's Day. I'd never heard that one. You did it well. Be proud.

gthom - Beautiful. And I love the backdrop. Congrats on the new baby. That's a great lullaby.

bigald18 - Sing it, Al! That was cool. I gotta learn me that one too. Nice sounding git there too.

Gotta get to work myself. Which for me just means alt-Tab.

Thanks to everyone who commented on my submission. My wife loved it and we had a great day yesterday.

• Members

Thanks, Glenn. The H2 is recording in WAV format, I think. Easiest way for me to get it into my Mac and then onto Soundclick is to upload it straight into iTunes and convert it to MP3. Can't seem to do anything with it beyond that point, though. I can move the file to a hosting site, etc., but can't open it in GB to edit. And I'm only talking very simple edits, like cutting off massive silences at beginning/end... I'll figure it out eventually. For the moment I'm happy just to be able to finally contribute something.

Hi,

Which version of GB do you have? I just tried importing .WAV and .MP3 files into a GB song, with no problems. If you download the audio to your desktop, open Garageband, and then drag the file onto the song grid, doesn't it import the song?

Cheers,

Glenn

• Members
My Turn

And Yes, folks, I know it sucks, but my first ever VOM entry in support of my fellow beginners. Bad timing, lousy voice, and going too dam fast, again..
:facepalm:

Title: Behind Blue eyes

. . . .

Hey Joe!

Great to see you participating - and like a mutual friend says: "You're a lot better than you think you are" :thu:

• Members

I couldn't begin to offer comments to each and every submission, but that session rocked! I do want to shout out to my fellow Kentuckian Poppy, for submitting something he thought wasn't perfect. Brother, if I waited until I was perfect to play for people, nobody would ever know I play. Your submission was good and you'll be amazed at your progress as you keep doing this.

A couple folks asked me about the song I did, "Valentine's Day." It's NOT an original, I wish I knew how to write a song. Steve Earle wrote and recorded that tune.

So, well done my HCAG brethren and sistren. The support and encouragement we give to each other (along with some good natured constructive criticism) is invaluable to me as a work in process!

I look forward to next month.

• Members

This song was co-written by Don Henley along with J.D. Souther (a long-time collaborator from Henley's days with the Eagles) and Mike Campbell of Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers. It originally appeared as the last and ultimate track on Henley's 1989 solo album "The End of the Innocence" and IMO closes it nicely.

I chose this song for no other reason than I really like it and it speaks to me. It may not be the best choice for Valentine's Day, being that to me it's basically about moving on after breaking up but I like the bittersweet lyrics and the underlying message of healing behind them.

Neil, I always envied your vocal range. Don Henley and the Eagles in general are among my favorite cover targets, but someone else always has to sing 'em cause I can't touch Don's vocal range. I don't even wanna talk about Timothy B. Schmit's vocal range.

Nice Job.

• Members

Wow! 42 entries... I'm going to have a lot of music to start streaming tomorrow. And, thanks to Joe, it'll be as simple as clicking a single button :thu:

Thanks to everyone who gave my tune a listen this month and thanks for the feedback. It is truly appreciated and does definitely help me improve my playing :)

FussenKuh--Not familiar with the song but well done!

Thanks. It's always great to hear that I'm improving... even, in my eyes, if it's only ever so slightly

• Members

I wanted to thank all those who listened to my entry. I still have some MP3s to listen to, then I will post my comments.

Talk about another strong VOM. To those who donate their time to run this, my sincerest thanks. I look forward to this every month. Like all people, my life has its ups and downs, and right now is more of a down than an up, and it's little things like this that make the downs be not as down as they could be. It may not be much, but it means a lot. We all need something to hang on to when the seas batter our ship... So my thanks to you for your generosity and the opportunity to belong to this very talented, friendly, supportive, creative and inspiring group.

BlackHatHunter...good job.

Thanks, friend!

• Members

Queequeg, Great job on that solo... do you have the tab? :poke:

BlackHatHunter, I did not know about Guy Clark... I will look it up after this...

tbryson, Beatles, what else can I say!!! :)

g6120, I agree with the comment on backup singers for the chorus...GOOD JOB regardless.

Chicken Monkey, Good job with the singing and playing!

Fendouglas, Nice song, never heard it before, I liked it!

Samilyn, Great recording technique... Very nice!

Fussenkuh, who is COC again??? :lol: Nice song, I am interested on listening the original now...

Stackbones, another great and creative song!!!

illinihoops, the voice breaks a litlle in certain parts, and dominate the recording, still good job..

Olschool Texas, Great playing, and I like how your voice sounded, were you using any effects?

Glenn F, Great duet!! your wife has a very nice voice... and you play great too!

garthman, although the song in general sounded a little muffled, I really like the performance.

Frets99, Mi hermano, MUY BUEN TRABAJO!!! you should share the chords... good job!

Riffmaister, Love the nylon strings, great job and interpretation... and btw, careful with the VD :lol:

OK, I need to go back to work in a first draft for a paper for School that it is due tomorrow....

I'll check more songs later...

Omar :thu:

Archived