VOM 25 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, February 14, 2010

Stackabones

• Members
Illinihoops

I cannot fathom why, but I could not get this to play more than a couple seconds. I'm using Soundclick myself, so it makes no sense whatsoever. Will keep trying.

Just tried uploading a new version, works for me but it is available for download if all else fails, thanks for the time of trying to listen :cool:

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Okay, I've never jumped in here before, so I'll give it a shot. Here's a song from a CD my partner and I did about 10 years ago.

The song is called "The Guitar Song"

It's a tune I wrote that was inspired by doing a lot of songwriting and shows with my old Yamaha FG-335. My partner plays real sweet lead acoustic on this and I play everything else (strummed acoustic part, bass and drums) and I also did all the vocals. When you click on the link, a different song will start playing, just click on the second song just below it. The recording quality isn't great because we had some cheap recording equipment at the time. But the music is still listenable. We used to play this song at shows and open jams and we also played it on a live radio broadcast. But I just couldn't find the live recording of it right now, as it's buried somewhere in our files.

I gotta work tonight and I'm headed out the door right now. So I won't be back to check out everyone else's songs until after midnight CST.

Until then, hope y'all like The Guitar Song...

http://www.isound.com/mac_brothers

Lyrics:

I need a woman who understands...
Although this guitar is second-hand, she's my first love, Oh yeah
She's been with me through thick and thin
We've been to hell and back again
To the skies above... the skies above

I play her soft and sweet so late at night
She'll never let me down or put up a fight

My sweet wooden lady, with your curves so fine
Whenever I hold you, I lose all track of time
Sweet wooden lady, so many stories to tell
My lady you know me better than anyone else

Now I'm on the road again
Another city with my old friend and I'll sing some songs...
As she plays along
I'll play her soft, I'll play her loud
There's nothing she loves more than a crowd...
When they sing along, as we play our song

I play her soft and sweet so late at night
She'll never let me down or put up a fight

My sweet wooden lady, with your curves so fine
Whenever I hold you, I lose all track of time
Sweet wooden lady, so many stories to tell
My lady you know me better than anyone else

Later on, afer the show
Down the road at a small hotel
Before I turn in, I want to play her again...

Play her again...

• Members

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVwBB8P6xMY

This song was co-written by Don Henley along with J.D. Souther (a long-time collaborator from Henley's days with the Eagles) and Mike Campbell of Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers. It originally appeared as the last and ultimate track on Henley's 1989 solo album "The End of the Innocence" and IMO closes it nicely.

I chose this song for no other reason than I really like it and it speaks to me. It may not be the best choice for Valentine's Day, being that to me it's basically about moving on after breaking up but I like the bittersweet lyrics and the underlying message of healing behind them.

• Members

[YOUTUBE]id5kkoURf8s[/YOUTUBE]

My apologies for being so absent lately. School is consuming my life (but only for 3 more months!) and I haven't been able to post. Here's my makeshift VOM entry, a submission for a contest at Berklee to be in the Guitar Department Showcase. I got in and it's March 9th, for all you New Englanders.

This is Pete Huttlinger's version of Alabama Jubilee. Enjoy! Can't wait to find some time to listen to all your entries.

• Members

Helping out a new comer to the VOM - this post is for Maggie Garza:

Title: Between You and Me

Artist: Maggie Garza

Genre: Acoustic Piano

About the Song: I had the words to this song saved on my computer for a couple of weeks before I decided they needed a melody. It's my first try at putting a song together. It was late, and my voice shows it. But I enjoyed writing/recording a song so much I'm going to do it again!

Lyrics:

You speak

I hear you

Calling me to something that's whole and true

I know your'e with me

But I need to hear you more clearly

Where silence is sweet

Your promises I do remember

I keep missing something;

Keep talking to me!

When there's nothing left

At the end of the day

It's you that's here with me

Everything I am is between you and me

I get tired of searching

My uselessness weighs me down

I need to shout that I'm here,

But I can't make a sound

With you I'm no longer silent

With you all barriers are gone

The mundane is extraordinary

And I'm thrilled to sing your song

• Members

Alright! Maggie's in! Thanks, Joe!

btw, I'm Maggie's sound engineer on her tune. We belong to the same parish, and we had a recording session at our church to record her voice & grand piano with my Zoom H4n. After I got the levels working and got a few bugs out of the Zoom, she knocked it out in one take.

Pretty good first original song ever, Maggie. :thu:

• Members

btw, I'm Maggie's sound engineer on her tune. We belong to the same parish, and we had a recording session at our church to record her voice & grand piano with my Zoom H4n. After I got the levels working and got a few bugs out of the Zoom, she knocked it out in one take.

Pretty good first original song ever, Maggie. :thu:[/quote

Thank you Chris! Agh, and was I horrible for not mentioning your sound engineering skills?? Couldn't have done it without you. Man, when the bug bites, it bites hard. What else? What else can we record???:p

• Members

Pretty good first original song ever, Maggie.
:thu:
[/quote

Thank you Chris! Agh, and was I horrible for not mentioning your sound engineering skills?? Couldn't have done it without you. Man, when the bug bites, it bites hard. What else? What else can we record???
:p

Now you've gone and done it Stack!! Nice job Maggie

• Members

Poppy, you are braver than most and despite your self-condemnation vs self-preservation you are here. Congratulations for rising above yourself and trying. BTW, I can use your piece here as an intro to one of my own. I have a healing broken right hand at the moment but I'll post what I have in mind when I can. Good effort and don't be so hard on yourself.

Poppy,

Like you, I'm just starting out. It's really hard to post at our stage in this journey, but I think it's important that we do. Can we play like some (most) of these guys? Not a chance... yet. But posting is kind of like lighting the fire under our butts.

As for the piece you posted, nothing awful about it. Congrats on having the stones to post! You and I can be the "NOOB" contingent from here on out on future VOM's.

• Members

Here are some of my observations. What a great VOM! Such wonderful music! I will write more later
Bob

Queequeg--That sure is a wonderful guitar that you play beautifully

BlackHatHunter-Well done, first time I ever heard this song

Tbryson-That's your best Beatle song yet. Clipped a bit on the high notes tho, gotta watch the red line

g6120--Great unplugged version!

Chicken Monkey--Great pickin'! You need a mic for your voice to get it up front

Fendouglas--Love that song! And Happy Birthday!!

Samilyn--Fantastic! I remember when you first posted this!! Hope you get to feeling better real soon

Rhancox--Always loved the song, well done and thanks for sharing your personal life with us

FussenKuh--Not familiar with the song but well done!

Stackabones--Chris, just great!!! I wish I could be as prolific as you!

illinihoops--Nice guitar work, IPhone?? Amazing

Oldskool Texas--Beautiful song!! You got true talent!!! My third time listening!!!

Glenn F--What a beautiful voice your wife has! Lovely song

knockwood--Nicely done, hard song to play. The only way I can do it is on my autoharp!

garthman--Sure haven't heard that in a long time! Well done

Frets99--Really good and it made me smile

riffmeister--Beautiful!! Actually heard Segovia play this once

hypcollector--Nicely done

LiFeStArTs@40--Don't be hard on yourself you did fine!!

TSMusic--Always enjoy your music You are an accomplished guitarist

• Members

Well its not a Valentine song....won't be this year....instead another original copyrighted last year and submitted to a few musicians for recording....who knows, maybe I'll get lucky...Not the final version, but a true VOM1T...with all the quirks in it as well as a few lyric screwups. An effort that took the better part of 2 years to finish....some just don't come easy. Standard tuning, no capo, finger picked on my Penco.
http://c70man.xanga.com/audio/8d08b3830015/

• Members

My submission this month... I did a classic: Garota de Ipanema (Girl From Ipanema)...I just recorded it one take (back from a date with my wife of 10 years! :D)

Guitar: Gibson 335 to interface, T-racks comp, reverb...

Intruments: Guitar, Bass, Piano, Drums....

Sorry, it is a little long... hope you guys enjoy it... I will start listening to the songs tonight....

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php?p=play&id=orbm1/Garota_de_panema.mp3

Excuse my current hosting but I can't upload to the VOM server...With the help of Joe I will try to post this on the vom server later...

EDIT: Thanks Joe. Now it is posted in the VOM website!

Omar :thu:

• Members

My wireless interweb ist gebroken, mostly. I have a dial up 1999 iMac but very hard to listen and even harder to post. Extremely slow. Music files keep stopping mid-song.

So I can't respond as I like to do, not now. I did hear the first few postings last night and enjoyed them much.

Hope to be back in normal mode soon. Gotta go to Des Moines Tuesday, get a new power supply for the Airport Extreme. Might have to visit a guitar store while I'm down there...
MM

Archived