VOM 25 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, February 14, 2010

Stackabones

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hi every one. Finally got around to doing another VOM. My entry for this month is an old traditional blues song called "Things About Comin My Way." It's about a poor guy thats so broke and can't seem to catch up no matter how hard he tries. The song doesn't start until about 30 seconds into the take due to my own professional recording abilities but it is there. Be patient.

vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php?p=play&id=bigald18/Things_About_Comin_My_Way_1.mp3

BigAl :)

• Members

Heard some last night...will try to get to them all....

Queequeg...Nice old standard...great guitar!!

Blackhat...Thats a beautiful song...Well done...really nice.

g6120...Great song from back in the day!!You even sang both parts !!

Chicken M....You play really well...very good song. vocal was a little low in the mix...great job!!

Fendouglas...Great Harp...nice all the way around.

Samilyn...Great Great recording!!

Rhancox...Wow, that was really good!!. You did good...love that song and the way you sang it was perfect.

Fussenkuh...That song was enjoyable and different. Your getting there.Keep developing your vocal ...it has a gritty sound to it which is cool. Find that spot where it fits your style and let it go!!

Knockwood...That is one of my favorite songs. You did it so cool...Great playing and singing...Impressed!!

Glen F...Nice tag team...She did great...That was a fun listen.

RKO...Sweet song!!

gthom...Beautiful classical piece and guitar.

starrshine...player stopped part way through.

Riffmeister...Dang, you know how to play that thing...beautiful recording.

Fretts99...As usual very entertaining!!

bludog79...great entry...welcome...nice song!!

Bigald...nice work on that.

Kwatawak...Great song...your very talented.

• Members

Okay - here's my first ever VOM entry. We (wife & I) wrote this song for a female singer friend but we don't have her version yet. This is a quick recording I made today of the song - hope you'll excuse the less than perfect playing and occasional bum note in my vocal. I've been working away for the past two weeks and haven't picked my guitar up in that time! Okay, enough with the excuses, here it is:

Silhouette
Words & music :Keith & Lily Foster
Performed by: Keith

http://www.surrealisticpenguin.ryepress.com/music/Silhouette14-Feb-2010.mp3

• Members

Morning all!

I didn't have much time this month to get something together, so I just vomited this out!

It's Pigs on the Wing, by Pink Floyd. (a couple different ones ;) )

It's as close to a love song as Pink Floyd writes, so I at least tried to stay with the holiday vibe. ;)

I already got through some of the submissions for this month and so far its another great month!

Hope you all like it...

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php?p=play&id=chriscarnucci/Pink_Floyd_-_Pigs_on_the_Wing__Acoustic_Cover-03.mp3

• Members

Queequeg: I envy your chops. Really nice, and that guitar sounds great!

TBryson: I like your upbeat version of this classic; one of my favorite Beatles tunes. Well done.

Knockwood: Fantastic singing and playing; I think you captured the melancholy vibe of the song without milking the pathos. Tastefully done.

Lifestarts: Ambitious song, but you really did a fine job here. Great consistency throughout!

• Members

Been listening and here's what I've got so far:

Queequeg - As always, great playing. Love that hollow body!

Black Hat Hunter - I really liked the performance with the gravelly sound in your voice.

T Bryson - Nice Beatles cover!

g6120 - I was never a Zombies fan, but I sure liked your cover!

Chicken Monkey - Johnny Cash was my hero.

Fendouglas - Nice cover for a great performer.

Samilyn - Hope you're feeling better soon. That's such a nice song.

rhancox - I'd show your video to my wife but she'd want me to do something like it. Great Valentines Day card!

Fussenkuh - Sounds much better than last time. Never heard of CoC though.

Stackabones - Nice one Chris, really enjoyed it.

• Members

Queequeg--great arrangement! I love this tune.

Blackhat--As much as I want to compliment your performance, I'm WAAAY more interested in how you set your blog up... Do you need to buy extra space to imbed a YouTube clip?

tbryson--I thought this would be a really hard one to do--you pulled it off. If only you could hit those high notes...

Gil--This is another one I've tried to do, but couldn't make the arrangement work. You are a better man than me.

• Members

fendouglas--haven't heard this one. I'm going to look it up, though--my interest is piqued.

Sammilyn--:thu: builds really nicely.

rhancox--All those guitars really sit well together. I didn't hear the first version, but this sounds really good to me.

Fussen--I don't know this song, but it sounds good. Your vocals have a Tay Zonday quality to them :poke:. It looks like you're using a single mic (or the computer's built-in)--if so, bring it up a bit so it picks up more vocal and less guitar. Otherwise, turn up the vocal.

Stack--really like the lyric. I read through it a few times before listening. The music was not what I was picturing, but it's a very cool arrangement.

• Members

Man, I can never remember how to attach this stuff. Hope this works. I'm really looking forward to listening to everyone's stuff again.

Title: Can't Find My Way Home

Credits: Blind Faith

Played on a Gibby SJ-100, recorded into a spanking new Zoom H2. Recording on this thing is terrifically easy. I still cannot figure out how to do the simplest edits, though. Can't even manage to open an H2 file in GarageBand... I'm frickin' hopeless, folks.

Nice track. One of my favorite songs.

• Members

This is awful. I know it's awful. I recorded it with a mic from my $20 mini cassette voice recorder stuck inside my guitar, the only way it would pick up. I can play this song much better, believe or not. Wnen I tried to record it, everything went to hell, the more I tried, the worse it got. This is about the 23rd try and one of the worse. So you may ask, why post it and take up valuable space on the VOM? For me, to push myself to be a better player. It's kinda like being a contestant of that t.v. show, Biggest Loser, I'm standing on the scale with my shirt off, in front of the world, hoping the experience will help me shape up. Besides, if I force myself to sit in the front row, maybe I'll learn a little more. Thanks
http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php?p=play&id=poppytater/2_the_right.mp3

• Members

Haven't had a chance to listen to everything yet, and I've been cut short here - wife keeps nagging me about today being some kind of special occasion. :poke: No idea what she's on about...

Anyway, I've been really enjoying this so far and hope to get to listen to the rest later today.

Queequeg
Once again, a great VOM opener! Lovely. I'm really beginning to envy your git collection, not to mention your picking. One day, perhaps I'll be able to use more than two fingers for something other than shoving pizza into my pie hole - which really pisses off the pie people.

BlackHatHunter
Nice! Great singing & love the overall tone - both vocal and git. Have you considered buying a Tele?

TBryson
:thu: One of my favorite Beatles songs. I enjoy your Beatles covers - always a unique personal rendition, never attempted carbon copies.

Gil
Well done, yo.

Chicken Monkey
Terrific vocals and love the git tone.

Fendouglas
Wow. What a great voice! Love the harp, too. Some day I must get my {censored} together to play git & harp simultaneously - I'm still struggling with walking and thinking at the same time... Seriously, killer voice.

Sami
Damn, girl! :thu: I kept thinking how I'd love to have that tune on continuous play and get stoned out of my mind. :D Loved it.

rhancox
Nicely done!

FussenKuh
Excellent incorporation of your head in the video! Not familiar with the group/tune, but I like this quite a lot. Great-sounding Epi, and well played! What's up with the tag on the headstock?

Stack
I really, really REALLY dug this. Great lyrics and tune. Damn, I wish I could compose like that. I blame you. I may ask your permission to perform it (totally all right if you tell me to GTFO), if I ever again get up the nads to play for anyone other than my cats.

Illinihoops
I cannot fathom why, but I could not get this to play more than a couple seconds. I'm using Soundclick myself, so it makes no sense whatsoever. Will keep trying.

OldSkoolTexas
Altogether Awesome. Every detail. Writing, vocals, playing, recording. Holy crap, man. :thu:

• Members
Hi - Hope that I am doing this right. Here is my first entry into the VOM. A song that I wrote a really long time ago and just recently re-recorded. Great forum here guys. Looking forward to hearing some great stuff.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8756453

Ya done good, Bluford. Welcome aboard! :wave:

Just a note, I met Bluford Birdsong through Paul Gorman, aka hypcollector. He has the coolest name on the planet. North Texas represent!

• Members
Stack

I really, really REALLY dug this. Great lyrics and tune. Damn, I wish I could compose like that. I blame you. I may ask your permission to perform it (totally all right if you tell me to GTFO), if I ever again get up the nads to play for anyone other than my cats.

I'm flattered and humbled by your comment and request. Yes, of course, perform it as often as you can. I've been looking to get into the cat market! :)

• Members

Well this is weird. I posted a song last night just after midnight and it vanished. It was right after Fuss.

I take this as a sign that instead of the just-written and just-recorded love-gone-wrong woe-is-me song I attempted to post previously, I'm going to man up and post something that commemorates a close friend who died very unexpectedly at age 31 just about exactly three years ago. It came up on my Shuffle this aft when I went for a run in the snow. Surely that is a sign.

Missy (Melisse) Lange was a truly extraordinary person. Every February brings her back to me and I STILL can't believe she's gone. I wrote three songs just after she died; this was the third. It was recorded by my friend Dan, who has a great basement recording set-up--no idea what software etc. he uses. I know he had a REALLY nice mike, and he wasn't used to it, and I had a cold that day, so forgive the heavy breathing.

One take, just me, my bare thumb, and my Yammie jumbo.

http://www.box.net/shared/e1opl8q966

A picture of Missy, playing her guitar:

http://www.box.net/shared/142214bdsc

Come My Way Again

Wicked cold February day

Half a life away

A thousand years ago

A lifetime to remember

Never comes the day

Days are getting longer

Longer than they used to be but I can still recall

Every single thing

We were in a garden it was early in the spring

I was thinking once again I was such a lucky man

Will you ever come my way again

Angeline lay down your gun

I am not the one

This is not the way

He is really gone

He was never there

It was all a dream

It was just a semi-precious love affair that's all

Do I have to nail it to the wall

Cautionary tale

Carefully constructed and guaranteed to fail

Walk away/let the music play

Melisse/God it feels so strange

Maybe in a thousand years everything will change

Everything I know

Everything I knew

All of it was real

But none of it came true

Anywhere you are

We will be connected by the stars

I can still recall almost every little thing

Early in the spring

We were in a garden

Will you ever come my way again

• Members

BlackHatHunter- When I listen to this I understand that I have really neglected the works of the great artist in Guy Clark.

Man, you got that whiskey voice for it too. Fantastic.

tbryson- Dude, you got that whole Beatles catalog committed to memory, don't you? This is one of my favorites. Great job on it, too.

g6120- hey my brother, I remember that song too. Well done, Gil. Thanks for the 60s flashback.

Chicken Monkey-Thought I knew most of the Cash musical library but this was a new one to me. Great job.

Fendouglas- Happy Birthday, man. Harry Chapin was a genius.Thanks for lighting a candle under this one. Glad you got to see him before he left us. I never had that pleasure.

Samilyn-I'm picturing horses with riders working their way through a narrow slot canyon. This is film soundtrack stuff. I'm getting serious visuals from this. bravo!

rhancox- What a nice thing to do for your wife on Valentines Day. Great video. Nice touch by including all the still shots. 12-string sounds wonderful this afternoon.

FussenKuh- Corrosion of what? Don't mind me, I'm an old timer. Cool song, well played with plenty of good singing.

Stackabones- man, there is simply no genre you won't wrestle to the mat and conquer. Blame it on plenty of talent.

illinihoops- especially like the impressionist chords under the vox on this one. on an iphone? holy crap. what will those guys come up with next?

Oldskool Texas- wish I could write songs like this. The bass is really good on this song. Love the guitar solo/break too. this is very good.

Glenn F- dig it man. I got a sneak preciew on this one but I just had to listen again. kudos out.

Knockwood- I always liked this BF tune. You killed on this one; complete with hauting string bends. Your vocals are better than the original by Steve Winwood.

I'll listen to more later on. Great stuff (once again) this month alla youse guys!

• Members

Here come some more:

Oldskool Texas - Really nice song. I enjoyed it.

Glenn F - I already know you're a really good player, but tell your lovely wife she has a wonderful voice!

Knockwood - Really nice cover Kn ock, enjoyed it.

Garthman - Good performance. That music sounds suspiciously like Bob Dylan's Times They Are A Changin. I wonder who wrote it first?

Riffmeister - I wish I was as stiff as you are on my classical. Sounded great as always.

Hypnocollector - nice sound!

Lifestartsat40 - I think it sounds pretty good.

TS Music - As usual Tony, a rousing performance!

Old Guitar Player - Excellent job on one of my favorite Guthrie songs!

RKO - Nicely done. You're in the right place.

gthom - nice playing

Surrealistic - Nice song and nicely done.

chriscarnucci - nice cover.

Archived