VOM 25 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, February 14, 2010

Stackabones

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Absentee Postings

Queequeg Comments:

'When You Wish upon a Star' was introduced in the 1940 Disney movie Pinocchio, and sung by Cliff Edwards (Jiminy Cricket) over the opening credits & in the final scene of the film. The song won the Academy Award for Best Original Song that year.

Played on an Eastman AR810CE archtop guitar

Absentee Post from:
Queequeg

Title:
When You Wish Upon a Star

Credits:
Ned Washington and Leigh Harline

BlackHatHunter Comments:

A personal favorite Guy Clark tune. Every time I hear it, I feel that Hemingway himself would have absolutely loved that song.

Gear used for this video:

Tom Anderson Crowdster

Bose L1

TC Helicon Harmony G

Absentee Post from:
BlackHatHunter

Title:
Hemingway's Whiskey

Credits:
Guy Clark

tbryson Comments:

Another Beatles song...I can't help myself...they have like 2 hundred to pick from!! I'm just doing the easy ones. The later stuff has to much techno to handle. This took 3 takes for the vocal and about that for the guitar. Hope you aren't sick of these yet.

Michael Martin...I have beed trying If I fell but that is tough. Thanks

Absentee Post from:
tbryson

Title:
I'm so tired

Credits:
Beatles

g6120 Comments:

This is my take on the old Zombies classic.

Sometimes a song goes through my mind and I get the urge to learn it.

That is what I did with this one.

You can't really tell but I have the chords and lyrics in

front of me. Chords were simple enough and lyrics I had memorized already so was just a safety net.

This is actually the second take. The chorus needed something so I overlayed my chorus from the first take to give it a more full sound.

I also played with audio mastering adding a bit more reverb on the parts with double vocals. I'm happy with the result!

Absentee Post from:
g6120

Title:
Time Of The Season

Credits:
Zombies

Chicken Monkey Comments:

I did this one right after the last VOM, as soon as I learned the song.

Absentee Post from:
Chicken Monkey

Title:
I Still Miss Someone

Credits:
Johnny Cash and Roy Cash, Jr.?

Fendouglas Comments:

I'm posting this early, as I'm now off to celebrate my (66th) birthday and might not be in a fit state tomorrow - indeed I started celebrating last night (so judge 'fit stateliness' for yourselves)

Regarding the song: Harry Chapin (though not very well known in UK) has always been an inspiration to me - I was at this last UK concert in January 1981 and I know I do not do his music justice, but it makes me feel good just trying to perform it.

Absentee Post from:
Fendouglas

Title:
Mail Order Annie

Credits:
Harry Chapin

Samilyn Comments:

Being under the weather this weekend after a procedure on my back, I'm 'cheating' again and posting a multi-track instrumental that was recorded some time ago.

Yes, the music does move from side to side, so don't think your computer, sound card, or the player is malfunctioning.

All tracks are one-take. (I've usually got everything down pat by the time the red light comes on....LOL)

Two git tracks here. Git is a borrowed vintage (1966) Martin D-28. (Sure wish I had a old D-28 of my own - the tone is priceless!)

One wood flute track; one strings track.

Strings and wood flute are done on my trusty ancient Yammie synth.

I hope you'll forgive my digression and enjoy the tune anyway.

Absentee Post from:
Samilyn

Title:
Canyons

Credits:
Sammye Lynn

rhancox Comments:

This is a video I made for my wife for Valentine's Day.

It features the song, Wonderful Tonight, by Eric Clapton with a collection of pictures from our life together.

I recorded the song using my 12-string for the main rhythm and then 2 tracks with my 6-string. One is an arpeggio-style accompanying rhythm and the other is a track of the familiar lead heard in the original, though not entirely like the original.

I recorded the first version of this song over a month ago and posted it on AGF for some feedback on the recording. It consisted of just the 12-string rhythm the vocals and the lead tracks. Since then I added the extra rhythm (per Kwak's suggestion) and re-recorded the lead. Later I played with the sound, finding the perfect reverb (I think) for the vocals.

All the guitars are recorded using the JJB pickups, of course.

Absentee Post from:
rhancox

Title:
Wonderful Tonight

Credits:
Eric Clapton

• Members

Title: Shelter

Originally By: Corrosion of Conformity

Hmmmm... how many HCAG members are going to be familiar with the works of CoC? Methinks probably not many ;) Normally favoring heavily distorted metal, the members of CoC occasionally turn off their distortion pedals, unplug their amps and mellow out with some laid back acoustic playing. This is my VOM1T rendition of one such song.

I've tried to incorporate the tips/suggestions I received from the last VOM into my latest attempt to play and sing. I was able to mostly get my recording set up to allow me to sing and play with a decent mix. I've transposed the tune to a key that's (hopefully?) a bit more in my (very) limited "singing" range. And, just for Mr. Michael Martin, the headless horseman won't strike again... I actually managed to get my whole head into the camera shot. Additional tips, tricks and feedback are always appreciated :thu:

[YOUTUBE]zvKcHkyd3XA[/YOUTUBE]

Still far from perfect, but always fun to create... here's hoping someone enjoys watching!

Chris

p.s. Happy Anniversary VOM!

• Members

Blame

Blame California

With her bleached blonde hair

Her forty foot distractions

Spewing smog everywhere.

It was her and what she became

I'm not the one to blame.

Blame February

With her black ice heart

You feel like she's finished

Before she even starts.

How could I know she'd snuff out my flame

I'm not the one to blame

Blame the moon and stars

And their ever changing ways

If you catch them in the daylight

They won't have much to say.

I took a shot but had bad aim

And I'm not the one to blame.

Blame Tristan

And the poets' lies

Their passions and rhymes

Are just suffering in diguise

Who really knows love's real name?

I'm not the one to blame.

Original tune. Morgan Monroe MV-01 recorded with a Zoom H4n. I wrote this on Tuesday of this week and recorded it yesterday.

• Members

Here is an original song I have been working on for a week or so. Going to have to listen with headphones though most likely since it is very quiet for some reason compared to other recordings I've done. One track, one take, enjoy!

Recorded with my iPhone using 4Track on my FG700s

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=965890&songID=8761972

• Members

Hi there,

Here is our submission, entitled 'Good-bye,' written by Paul McCartney, originally sung by Mary Hopkin (Those Were the Days). My lovely wife is handling the vocals, and I am playing my Lakewood M-18. We did a couple of run-throughs, then I hit record. Hope you enjoy!

Cheers,

Glenn

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php?p=play&id=Glenn_F/Goodbye.mp3

• Members

Man, I can never remember how to attach this stuff. Hope this works. I'm really looking forward to listening to everyone's stuff again.

Title: Can't Find My Way Home
Credits: Blind Faith

Played on a Gibby SJ-100, recorded into a spanking new Zoom H2. Recording on this thing is terrifically easy. I still cannot figure out how to do the simplest edits, though. Can't even manage to open an H2 file in GarageBand... I'm frickin' hopeless, folks.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1020866&songID=8699612

• Members

Good morning everyone. It's a beautiful cold, crisp and sunny morning here - but I have to work. Nevermind - it gives me the chance to post a song "live" instead of using the absentee thingy.

My submission this week is a song written by the late great Arthur Lee called "Gather Round" which appeared on Love's 5th album Out Here released in 1969.

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php?p=play&id=garthman/Gather_Round.mp3

• Members

Happy VD, everyone!

A traditional Catalan folk melody, "El Noi de la Mare".

Originally arranged for guitar by Miguel Llobet (1878-1938), this short piece was a favorite encore piece used by Andres Segovia (1893-1987) and was the music that was open on his music stand when he passed away. It is a lovely, evocative melody.

My performance is "ok", but a little stiff which is not uncommon when the little red 'record' light goes on. Oh well......enjoy! :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=901761&songID=8761789

• Members

Man, I can never remember how to attach this stuff. Hope this works. I'm really looking forward to listening to everyone's stuff again.

Title: Can't Find My Way Home

Credits: Blind Faith

Played on a Gibby SJ-100, recorded into a spanking new Zoom H2. Recording on this thing is terrifically easy. I still cannot figure out how to do the simplest edits, though. Can't even manage to open an H2 file in GarageBand... I'm frickin' hopeless, folks.

What format is the H2 file? Can you download it to your desktop and then import into Garageband?

Cheers,

Glenn

• Members

the coolun

with 3 women in my house, validation of love is a full day's work on the day of love. expectaions are high and roses are filling the morning with a robust scent. however, the darlings are still sleeping, giving me time to slip in this submission to vom.....

irish poet james stephens provided the poem and i attached a few chords and vocals. zoom recorded, vom1t, seagull....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=908060&songID=8691847

the coolun

come with me, under my coat,

and we will drink our fill

of the milk of the white goat,

or wine if it be thy will;

and we will talk until

talk is a trouble, too,

out on the side of the hill,

and nothing left to do,

but an eye to look into an eye

and a hand in a hand to slip,

and a sigh to answer a sigh,

and a lip to find out a lip:

what if the night be black

and the air on the mountain chill,

where the goat lies down in her track

and all but the fern is still!

stay with me under my coat,

and we will drink our fill

of the milk of the white goat

out on the side of the hill.

--james stephens (1882-1950)

• Members

Queequeg - Beautiful. I love that guitar too. Whenever I hear that song, it makes me think of watching the Wonderful World of Disney, sitting on the living room floor at my grandparent's. Ah, the memories. Thanks.

BlackHatHunter - that's a cool song. I'd never heard it before. I like your rendition. Your voice suits this one. Well done.

tbryson - I look forward to your Beatles tunes and this one didn't disappoint. A smooth rendition with your signature all over it. Love it.

g6120 - excellent, Gil. I can imagine, if the Zombies ever did an "Unplugged" special, this is the way they'd do that song. I gotta ask though, if you had a little backing track for the chorus, why not do the "echoed" lyrics on another track too? Still very well done.

ChickenMonkey - well done. Very clean guitar playing there. That would be a challenge for me to play and sing that one. You did it so perfectly.

Fendouglas - Harry would be proud. Very Chapin-esque. I loved it.

Samilyn - I love the sound of the recording. I could get lost in that song. Nicely done.

Fussenkuh - You're right. I'm certainly not familiar with Corrosion of Conformity. I think you did a great job though. You have a unique (meant in a good way) baritone-ish voice so I'm sure there are songs that are tricky for you. Well done though. I liked the effect at the end.

Stackbones - interesting song. Got cut off though before the last verse. You are ever so creative. Nice work.

I've only had a chance to listen to this much so far. Valentine's Day, you know.

We're headed to Fredericksburg to do some antique shopping/browsing, so it will have to be later tonight or tomorrow before I can get to everyone else's.

Some good stuff so far. Long live the VOM!

• Members

Happy Valentines day. Ok, here's my first submission. This song was written by Jimmy Page at a cottage where he wrote a lot of LZ's music. The song is named after the cottage, Bron Yr Aur, and was one of his best IMHO. Now for all the disclaimers:

I suck because I've only been seriously playin' for about a year.
There's a TON of ooop's in there. There just something about the little red light, but it was a one take so please excuse all the botched spots.

This was recorded on my Martin D1.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8763143

• Members

Greetings

This month's song is on the mellow side, titled Whitecaps On The Susquehanna. The Susquehanna River is the grand river of Pennsylvania. For a number of years I lived close to it between Harrisburg and York PA and I always thought it was kinda of neat when the wind would kick up and there would be whitecaps. I had the title for the song long before the song itself. The title pages are a picture from my front yard from when I lived there. But enough rambling. This is one of the songs from my CD 'Angels On Fyre' .

Enjoy and I always appreciate the comments

Tony

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

In May 2006 I played a benefit concert with a bunch of other performers known as the Open Stage Review. We'd get together every once in awhile to organize and play charity events. For the most of the show I backed up other performers on guitar when needed.

For my solo performance I did a rather nervous and rushed version of Woody Guthrie's The Ballad Of Pretty Boy Floyd featuring Peter Peltier backing me up on harmonica. I think we may have rehearsed it once before the actual show.

[YOUTUBE]o4EbMPA7YVo[/YOUTUBE]

Someone else video'd this and put it on YouTube and I only just saw it for the 1st time myself last week.

Thanks for watching!

EDIT: I forgot to mention I was using a $125 Epiphone AJ100 guitar with a Fishman NeoD soundhole pickup into a DI to the sound system. This was recorded at a church downtown in front of over 400 people.

• Members

Hey all, for Valentine's Day I tried to find something applicable and came up with Jean Paul Martini's (1741-1816) "Plaisir d'amour" (joys of love). It's not a tune I know very well from a playing standpoint, but this version's pretty straightforward. Most of you will recognize the melody, I'm sure.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

So far I've heard three submissions - all very impressive.

Samilyn, yours is especially haunting, and I love the overlying melody that comes in.

BlackHat, you do Guy Clark proud - I'm a fan of both him and Hemingway, so that song sort of hits me where I live!

Garthman, your vocals and guitar are mixed really nice, and I love the "live" feel of the recording. Nice arpeggios, and your vocals sound very natural.

I'll be listening off and on to this session all day. Outstanding!

Archived