I need to get signed ASAP

VladM

• Members

Vlad, the reality is the record companies won't sign you until you have sold enough product on your own that you don't need them.
:wave:
Plus the money/income stream for the artist is not in record sales anymore, it is the touring and merch sales...
;)

Interesting. That means I have to be my own record company. But if I am my own record company I don't need a record company anymore lol

If you are your own record company that defeats the entire purpose of trying to get signed.

If I can become my own record company there is zero incentive for me to ever get signed. All the profits would go straight to me as opposed to a big market label.

I already know how to produce records on budget gear. If I get good gear my records would sound better than most of what is mass produced. If I get my own mid-level studio I won't need to pay the rip-off rates for a professional studio and the product would sound 95% as good. It's not worth it to pay those rates for a tiny boost in product quality. Not to mention the gigantic time crunch of them saying "you have X amount of hours to finish" I work at my own pace not on their pace.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They don't call it mortgage just for no reason. Its a lifelong commitment to paying money to a bank until you're dead.

If this weren't comedy thread I'd point out that's not how a mortgage works, but it does bring up kind of a neat thing about the language. The MORT is from dead, but it's the agreement that dies...it's temporary

• Members

My catalog has 65 songs in it. 2 albums ready for recording. I'm not just gonna let the cat out of the bag. It takes time to get discovered these days.

Heres some facts. Theres a million bands out there that are never going to be recognized. Why? because thay wait around to be discovered and it never happens.

they believe in that hollywood version of what the music business is about and it just doesnt exhist anymore and hasnt since the early 70's.

We made our first album back in 1976 and all a studio contract is, is a loan. The record company wants every dime back plus interest.

It doesnt pay you to sit around and write songs. You're living in la la land if you think that.

The music business is just like any other self contracting business except its very competitive and you have to deal with some of the biggest

slime balls out there. A kid who thinks he's going to be discoverd? He's just fresh meat to feed the sharks. They'll either hook him on drugs and make him

a slave, or they'll steal his gear at a gig when he's not looking. If he takes out a contract/loan, the company will simply say the work sucks and make him

pay back the loan and the interest, and in the mean time the studio you use will kick back a bulk of the cash you paid for recording back to the label.

They got you rammed, jammed, scammed, doubble flim flamed before you even start if you think anyone going to give an unknown a contract.

It just wont happen. The only chance you have is working full time on a real job, get a good live rig, play out with a band for maybe 2 to 5 years,

save up the cash to make a good album at a good studio, and in your nspare time you're taking music lessons and going to college for a business degree

so you really know how to play well and know all legal aspects of business and contracts.

After making the album, you sell them to your fans to make the band pay for itself. Do that for maybe 15 years, and you may get hired by a major act,

that is if you arent an asshole with a chip on your shoulder by then and are willing to take it up the butt to make someone else look good.

And as someone else said, if you havent made some major inroads by 30, forget it. Enjoy being a weekend warrior, but you are likely too old to make

it on the pop charts. Little rich girls and boys who actually but albums and tickets arent likely to idolize a guy headding for middle age and likely out of shape.

The best you may be able to do is a james bond thing and attract middle aged women in their 40's and likely divorced and a bunch of kids to feed.

A 30 year old guy will look young to them as thay try and snag you into being their sex slave at first, then a working fool that pays their bills.

• Members

Despite or maybe because of the parody nature of the OP character there have been some valuable responses.

I think the basic idea of the OP is to present the internal "fantasy thinking" and then have responders address that stuff.

I mean it is does as a broad stroke character who wants a more rewarding job that pays better and is more secure AND expects it to be less competitive :D -- but that's the kind of internal fantasy that we can daydream about...as long as we work toward the reality...realistically.

• Members

The band Tool are my role models. They hate the industry and they generally don't associate themselves with it.

Also, the internet changed everything. You can just spam clicks on your own youtube channel all day and eventually get to 1,000,000 views.

People on youtube are attracted to large view numbers. Well, I figure I can manipulate those in my favor by spamming clicks.

Its just a numbers game, that's all it really is.

• Members

...They hate the industry and they generally don't associate themselves with it.

Also, the internet changed everything. You can just spam clicks on your own youtube channel all day and eventually get to 1,000,000 views.

That one is pretty good

• Members

A kid who thinks he's going to be discoverd?

Well, recently a group of Japanese tourist rang my door bell, first I thought they ask me the for the way back to the center, but the tour guide said: "We just felt intuitivelly in our stomach that in this house lives a musical pop genius, and we want to offer you a contract with SONY Japan, how's that?"

• Members

Jesus guys just read his posts I'm with Guido we're being punked....... I'll pretend I'm him (Drum roll please)

I'm 22 year old, and taught myself how to play. I'm damn good all my friends say I'm the best. Any label should sign me, as I have written over 57 songs that are so beautiful they will make you cry with delight. Working for the man to pay bill sounds really hard, but I work much harder writing songs. Prove to me that you will work for me and support me while I craft music to enthrall the world. I need to get this going ASAP because living in an apartment is for me but the land lady says I need to pay the rent. But thats ok because I don't want kids, and plan to die alone in my apartment.

Rambling enough for you? Should I throw some {censored} in about inspiration from buying a Three Wolf T-Shirt form Walmart?

• Members

I'm an outsider but I do know the industry is filled with sleezy creepy egomaniacs. I could take it or leave it.

But no seriously even as an outsider I know what it is.

I could take it or leave it.

I didn't even major in music. I don't take it that seriously. It's a fun creative outlet then I leave it at that.

I could take it or leave it. My success as a person does not depend on music.

Just goes to show how corrupt the industry is. Real talent will always be ignored.

American Idol doomed American music and now everyone must live with the consequences of their actions. Americans have already made their choice.

Americans created the "Idol" culture and now they must live with the consequences of their decisions.

Even as an unknown, there are musicians who have been grinding away for 10, 12 years that would kill for my status.

Me? I could take it or leave it.

It is a creative outlet and a hobby and it ends there.

My dream was to create an original debut album and I already did that 4 years after picking up a guitar. I've done everything there is to do and said everything that needs to be said. Like I said, when it comes right down to it, I could take it or leave it.

• Members

The sad thing is, even if this guy is trolling us all, there are plenty of young people out there who think just like this. They believe they are entitled to make a certain amount of money doing what they like to do, without having to work for it at all. If someone isn't there to hand it to them on a silver platter, then the system has failed, not them. :rolleyes:

• Members

The sad thing is, even if this guy is trolling us all, there are plenty of young people out there who think just like this. They believe they are entitled to make a certain amount of money doing what they like to do, without having to work for it at all. If someone isn't there to hand it to them on a silver platter, then the
system
has failed, not them.
:rolleyes:

I'm not trolling I just have health issues. Sometimes I say things I don't mean to say and that's just the way it is. As far as making money from music goes... I could take it or leave it. I do lots of other things. I'm in the process of writing a novel. Music isn't my life. I didn't even practice vocals until Spring 2011.

No, I'm not trolling I've just become completely jaded in my short 4 years of playing music.

I'm not trying to troll anybody I just think my story is interesting. I came from knowing 3 chords to having a steady fan base in 4 years I think that's an interesting story and I think many would agree.

Trust me, if I could work full time I'd be first in line for a job, but the thing is, me working full time is a medical impossibility.

If I was trolling I wouldn't have stayed in this thread and I wouldn't be sharing links of my work that I did for free... like this one....

Anyways, enjoy.... Enfeebled Dream....

Enfeebled Dream was created on a budget of $0.00 by Chicago post rock band Io.

Graveyard at Dawn:

http://soundcloud.com/the-dream-herb-experience/graveyard-at-dawn

• Members

If I was trolling I wouldn't have stayed in this thread...

Must not be familiar with some of HC's...or the internet's more notable trolls

and I wouldn't be sharing links of my work that I did for free... like this one....

:lol:

You can just spam clicks on your own youtube channel all day and eventually get to 1,000,000 views.

People on youtube are attracted to large view numbers. Well, I figure I can manipulate those in my favor by spamming clicks.

• Members

Trust me, if I could work full time I'd be first in line for a job, but the thing is, me working full time is a medical impossibility.

...and part-time flexible hours :D

:lol:

I didn't even major in music. I don't take it that seriously. It's a fun creative outlet then I leave it at that.

TROLLIE-O-LEE-O jungle Love

• Members

Create your own local buzz and the labels will come find you. That's what an A & R guy told a friend of mine when he went to L.A., but that was back in the early '90's. These days, I guess you have to do it through the internet, if possible.

• Members

It's good that you don't care one way or the other if a label signs you...because it's not gonna happen. At least, not in the traditional sense, where an benevolent A&R guy takes a young artist under his wing and helps him develop his music to the point where a label might see it as financially viable. To my understanding, those days are pretty much gone.

These days, labels want the artist to do all the legwork and heavy lifting. They want a ready-made artist with product and fanbase in hand, where all they have to do is arrange national distribution and cut themselves a piece of the pie.

Years ago, an acquaintance of mine had a long conversation with Edwin McCain, who was touring to support his first major-label release and had a hit single ("I'll Be") on the radio. At one point in the conversation, my friend made mention of Edwin "playing in the big leagues and making the big bucks now"....to which Edwin snorted derisively and replied,

"Yeah, right. All that advance money we got was spent recording the CD, buying a new van and trailer for the tour, and paying lawyers and managers. By the time all that stuff is paid for, there's not a whole lot left over for the band.....and the money we do make goes back to the label to pay back that advance.

"Yeah, we're making more money now....but we're spending a lot more, and our overhead is ridiculous. We're barely breaking even most of the time. To be perfectly honest, I was putting a whole lot more money in my pocket back when it was just me, driving myself from gig to gig, selling homemade CD's out of my trunk for five or ten bucks a pop."

And this was twenty years ago. The music industry has gotten a lot worse since then.

Honestly, it sounds to me like you're still embracing and possibly even romanticizing the whole "starving artist" thing. Which is great....do it while you're still young and you still have plenty of years head of you. But be warned: there will come a day when that passion will start to fade, and you'll slowly realize that for all the love and devotion you've given to music, it's very much a one-way relationship.....and that the music you've loved and devoted your life to creating doesn't give a flying {censored} about you.

What you don't want to do is leave yourself into a situation where music is your only option in life....because when you're forced to play music, it doesn't take long for it to start feeling like a job, no different from flipping burgers or digging ditches. The only difference is, if you're flipping burgers or digging ditches, you're still able to enjoy music as an escape and a creative outlet. But when music becomes a job....when your workday is over, the last thing you want to do is play or even listen to music.

Becoming a big rock star type is kinda like winning the lottery. It's great if you're one of those one-in-a-million who actually hits it big; just make sure you have a plan B available, just on the off chance that you end up being one of the other 999,999 people who have to live their lives in the real world.

• Members

The music industry got better actually.

In the past as well today the artist, arranger, musicians and the producer develope the music.

And the record company develop the market for the product. Nobody would believe that the marketing people can develop the music. It may happen that artists the record company had chief executive producer who took care of everything, how the music gets produced.

• Members

Music is the only cure for my bipolar. If I don't train 8 hours a day the disorder kicks in hard and things get ugly. I've only been playing music for 4 years, since age 20. Its not really fair to music majors who have been training for 12 years but this is what I sound like. It is what it is.

I grew up idolizing NBA culture. You have to want to succeed more than the guy ahead of you. You have to take the ball and rip it out of the best player's hands yourself. You have to get in the face of the best player on the court, stare him down, and steal the ball out of his hands. No one's gonna do it for you. He's gonna know its coming and there's not a damn thing he can do to stop it. You have to go in there and steal the damn ball. There is no other way. You have to flat-out want it more than the next 10,000 people ahead of you. I'm insanely competitive

• Members

Music is the only cure for my bipolar. If I don't train 8 hours a day the disorder kicks in hard and things get ugly. I've only been playing music for 4 years, since age 20. Its not really fair to music majors who have been training for 12 years but this is what I sound like. It is what it is.

I grew up idolizing NBA culture. You have to want to succeed more than the guy ahead of you. You have to take the ball and rip it out of the best player's hands yourself. No one's gonna do it for you. You have to go in there and steal the damn ball. There is no other way. You have to flat-out want it more than the next 10 people ahead of you. I'm insanely competitive.

All humans are bipolar. It's a natural condition. In my days, they didn't know the dosorder existed. My teachers would tell me to pay attention and bang me on the head with a ruler so I wouldn't forget. After the bang on the head, I was good for the rest of the day.

Funny, they have a name for everything these days. The doctor told me I have restless leg syndrome. Wanted to put me on ropinirole. Has the World gone crazy. Needless to say, I still have restless leg syndrome. Hey, it relaxes me.

John :thu:

Archived