acoustic/electric guitar won't make sound through amp

falseswipe

• Members

I have this guitar:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAAEG10

and earlier today I took all the strings off of it so that I could get it restrung and the little plastic part of the bridge that holds the strings up fell out. There was a little copper wire under it that kind of flipped out too. I assumed this was the pickup. So I put it back under the bridge piece and restrung the guitar.

Now none of the electronics work. The onboard tuner won't light up and when I plug the guitar up to an amp I get no sound. What is happening here? I need this fixed asap.

• Members

If the wire broke loose, you possibly killed it.

If the wire is still attached to the copper thingy, there is a slight chance that the pickup and the bridge are not properly aligned, but that's just not the case according to your description.

• Members

Not familiar with your pickup - your link said that your guitar is unavailable and showed a different model (presumably). But if there was a wire attached and is broken, take a close look to see if it can be soldered. It might actually have been soldered originally.

• Members

How possible is that?

That depends. A replacement undersaddle piezo wouldn't be hard to find (Musician's Friend and StewMac will carry them for sure), but the installation . . . I'm not so sure about that. If the pickup was just a pickup, it'd be pretty easy to wire back up. Since there's a built-in preamp, though . . . that might complicate things.

If you need something that'll work temporarily, you might want to get a soundhole pickup to use in the interim. Sorry I can't be of more help :idk:.

• Members

Did the piezo strip actually fall completely out, or did it just flip out and was still attached to the wiring that ran inside the guitar? If the latter, have you checked your battery? Is this a new guitar? If so, and if all else fails, take it back to place or purchase for either repair ot replacement...

• Members

Bummer.
:(
The up side is that they're not expensive even if you have to replace it.

The description says it had a Fishman pickup and they're pretty well ubiquitous. Figure $100 or so plus labor to install it. Fishman also makes pickups under the Martin name. Get whichever is cheaper.

• Members

I'd check all leads and connections, plus your battery if the tuner/function light isn't working. It could be anything from defective UST element, to wiring, battery or lead and may not necessarily be all doom and gloom.

This ^^^^^^^^^ :thu:

Like Gary says, it could be something simple like a spent battery or a loose connection. The typical Undersaddle Transducer looks like this:

UST.jpg

The bar at the top contains the piezo crystals (some brands use a flexible coaxial type strip instead of a rigid bar) and the wire is usually connected to a mini jack plug that locates into a socket on the preamp (some brands connect the UST lead directly inside the preamp). Check the battery is OK and that all wires are securely soldered and that the jack plug is pushed firmly home into the socket.

• Members

It seems a bit coincidental that the battery would go dead at the same time the piezo fell out. Was it working before? It sounds like it was. The tuner light may not be coming on because there's no signal to the tuner, which would be the case if the piezo were damaged or a wire disconnected. All we can do over the Internet is speculate. Take your guitar in and have it looked at.

• Members

The only thing I've got with an onboard pre-amp has a "Battery Check" button with a coresponding LED. That function wouldn't be dependant on a signal from the UST. If yours has something like this it would help rule out the pre-amp/tuner from the equation. Might be time to hit the shop though.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

Hey guys,

I had to bump this thread as I don't think I have a high enough post count to create new topics.

I'm totally stumped right now. I recently bought an Idiopan steel tongue drum which has a pretty rudimentary pair of pickups in it which can be played through a bass/guitar/keyboard amp - connects via 1/4 jack just like a guitar.

I then bought a small cheapo bass amp (Laney LX10b) the other day to play it through but am not getting any sound through the amp.

Points to consider:

- I tested the AUX IN on the amp with an mp3 player to ensure that the speaker works (it did)

- I also tested the Jack input on amp with the same mp3 player (using a an adaptor)

- The guitar lead could be the issue but I doubt it as it's brand new and makes a noise when I touch the end - i.e. it isn't dead.

- The drum was demoed to me via video the day before it was despatched from the US to my home in the UK - so was working two days prior to my receipt. The box also didn't look like it had been bashed/dropped. It could be that vibrations have shaken loose a connection but when I look in the hole in the top it all looks fine.

- Really strange is that I can hear noise through the amp if I tap the pickups or touch the wires, but they are not picking up the the frequencies of the drum - I presume this means that the jack is working as it's transmitting sound from the pickups.

- There is no volume/tone controls. Just pickups inside the drum going to a jack.

Any advice would be really appreciated. Shipping was $80 one way so I don't want to send it back to the US and pay $160 plus repair fees unless I really have to.

Cheers

​Stu

• Members

You asked for advice. I'll give you advice:

1, If you want better cooperation, start a new thread and don't bump a four year old thread. Post count has nothing to do with that.

2. There is a drum forum on the Harmony Central site where they talk about drums. http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/Drums_Percussion/acapella-19

• Members

Cheers man, I did try and start a thread but it wasn't working - may have just timed out as I'm on my work laptop through the VPN. I did try several times.

I posted in here because it's not a drum in the traditional sense. It has pickups and is designed to function through a guitar/bass amp with jack cables, so is much closer in this regard than a mic'd up drum kit. It's more comparable to a hang drum or marimba - nothing like a snare drum with a mic.

• 5 years later...

Archived