VOM 26 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, March 14, 2010

Stackabones

• Members

:thu:
Though I probably won't ever learn this technique I have to admit it's pretty damned cool. And, for some odd reason I can't put my finger on, it seems to be "you". Nice, Neil.

I just love the "groove" of this song, that's all. As for it being "me" I guess maybe I'm still just very impressionable. I still find myself falling on Travis Picking in my own musical efforts but now I also find myself slapping the strings a lot more. I think it's beginning to help me to keep tabs on the tempo.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Michael Martin: Nice job as usual

chriscarnucci: You're right, it is different but I like it. Kind of an old fashioned feel.

BlackHatHunter: Nice job.

tbryson: Good to hear one of your originals. Better than you led us to believe.

Oldskool_Texas: Really enjoyable. Good job.

Fendouglas: Loved it. Reminds me of the "filking" that crops up at science fiction conventions.

Stackabones: Another nice one.

carguy: Thanks. I haven't heard that song in ages. You have nothing to apologize for. One minor suggestion though: Take it slower; it sounded like you were running out of breath and having trouble keeping up with the guitar. Probably attributable to nerves, with any luck you'll get better.

g6120: I liked it but it's very different from what you normally write/sing. Harder edged. You carried it off though. I've tried it a couple of times but I have that "old folkie" voice.

Frets99: Nice playing but maybe tune down or transpose so it fits your voice better?

slingblade10: Nice job.

Surrealistic: Sounds good. Looking forward to hearing it with lyrics.

riffmeister: Another great original.

bludog79: Nice job.

bobc: Same comments as when you posted it originally. I really like it. I'm even willing to overlook the Strat (almost). ;)

Pine Apple Slim: No worries. Pretty good, first attempt or not.

Starrshine: Nicely done. You don't have a "standard" male singing voice and neither do I. Then again, neither did Tennessee Ernie Ford or Lou Rawls. ;)

phoniclab: Nice job. Not spot on the original but nice with a Country flair.

Jkater: Great job. Nothing to apologize for at all. Wish I could play like that.

kwakatak: Coming along quite nicely. 'Way better than I'll ever be.

Buck62: Very good. Nice Alt-Country tune with good social relevance. Very professional sounding.

• Members

Hi all. Seems like I'm following in the footsteps of others this month. Work has had me slammed for quite a while now. And, living in Michigan, that statement seems even more surprising to me. As such, thanks (again), Joe, for the streaming player. It means I can now rather easily listen to everyone's submissions while working. It's truly an awesome feature of the VOM archives!

I tip my hat to anyone who can find the time and dedication to listen and comment on 30+ submissions each month That, in itself, is quite an accomplishment! So, thanks to everyone who took the time to give my submission a listen. And, a special thanks to any and everyone who provided me with some feedback. I know I always say this, but it bears repeating, it's truly appreciated and really does help me grow as a musician ( not quite sure if I can call myself that if I only ever play in my basement ;) ).

• Members

Fuss--I didn't comment on every submittal this time but I did hear them all, and yours was exceptional. I have a new friend/musical partner/fellow guitarist from China and we were discussing our respective musical life-goals yesterday. I told her: I want to learn to play like
THIS
and I showed her your VOM video.

You just made my morning, Michael :D

Hearing (well, I suppose, reading) this comment and knowing the musical chops of the person it's coming from... well, lets just say that I rarely see such praise for my playing. Your feedback is just going to motivate me to work that much harder to, hopefully, improve on my play that much more :thu:

• Members

Thanks to everyone who listened to our song Live And Die In Love!

I've been listening slowly when I get time.

Good news is work has been picking up for me. Bad news is this allows me even less time online now! So I'll finish listening and post my comments later.

What I've heard so far has been great! Thanks again and I'm proud to be amongst you all.

LOL......yes Sangemon I read your comment about missing seeing me in my "closet" but actually I'm like Fuss and am relegated to my basement to play guitar. My basement is under a detached garage so I can wail away and not disturb anyone! I designed a larger space for recording but as I look to my right I see that it has turnd into a storage room!! Which is why you see me always squeezed between my computer and audio rack.

Someday I'll clean that room......someday.....

• Members

great music all around this month. humbled and attentive, i listen. thanks to stack for hosting and joe for producing. thanks for the kind words on guacamole. but more importantly, thanks for listening. the good, bad, and respectufully ugly feedback is welcome and appreciated. got another one called new canoe that both my girls sing on (and wrote). got to get ready for the nursing home quarterly gig....every fifth sunday......lutherans are cool....and catholics too, bake...

pray hard, pray alot

pg

• Members

Greetings

I want to thank all who listened and commented on my song. I've been working my way though the other performances this week and as always, everyone did an excellent job

Tony (who has the feeling that April will be here all too soon)

• Members

Hey all,

Sorry it took me so long to post my comments...I've been out of town for work this last week.

Well another great month! Loved everyones stuff. And thanks for all the nice comments and support for my entry!

I really do enjoy this VOM. I look forward to it every month!

Ok so here are my comments, hope I didn't miss anyone...

Michael David Martin

• Members

I was looking at the VOM page and listening to other people's stuff when I noticed my tune was posted there! Wow, thanks! I didn't realise I had been include in this coolest of gangs. I just registered and will faithfully chip in a song every month from now on. This is realy cool.

• Members

Talk about being bhind! The days have gotten away from me!

Michael_Martin: Like your lyrics and your vocal arrangement!

Chriscarnucci: Always enjoy your submissions Chris! Great video work too!

BlackHatHunter: You captured the essence of this great song!

Tbryson: Great song! Nice pop feel!

Garthman: Yes it is a gem of an album and you did a great rendition!

Oldskool_Texas: This sounds like a fully produced finished song! And an EXCELLENT one at that!!

Fendouglas: Great parody!!

Stackabones: This is a potential hit song Stack! It has every ingredient: uptempo, great hook, vocal interest and interesting riffs!!

Carguy: Hey Alfred that was excellent!! Great playing and your vocal never strayed off key!! I like your voice, Nice!!

Hypcollector: So great your daughter is involved with you creating music!! Mine is 3 and alrady quite musical. They have a way of inspiring me for sure. Kudos to you and your daughter for a fine song!!

Poppytater: Nice recording and I like the laid back tempo!!

Fatback: Great arrangement and playing! The recording makes it sound old and adds to the atmosphere.

That's all I've had time for so far....I'll finish up soon.

Archived