VOM 26 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, March 14, 2010

Stackabones

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here is a cover of a Modest Mouse song called Perfect Disguise, I am borrowing a friends banjo so I had to work it into the VOM.

Nice!!! New song to me, although a daughter's friend turned me on to Modest Mouse a year ago. What a great songwriter. LOVE the banjo--I wanna learn how to play one now. I like the recording too. Just the right touch o' 'verb...

• Members

Strawberry Fields Forever
by Lennon/McCartney
(keeping the fab 4 flame alive here on the vom while tbryson takes a break this month in order to share one of his great originals. very nice indeed, by the way.) The photos I slugged in here are Savannah, GA visiting my son Alex who is finishing up his phd there. He's a huge Beatles fan, too. We spent two days touring this beautiful city on bicycles.

Q, you nailed me here. I have been in love with this song for about 159 years, PLUS I grew up in Atlanta (yes m'friends I am a pure southerner, despite all else) and thus I have spent many a fine day in Savannah. (Note: go there spring or fall, not summer--I warned ye). In fact I met what I thought at the time was the love of my life in Savannah, yrs ago...her name was Lorena, but it didn't pan out I guess...but I digress...nice, nay, excellent job Q, I do and always will LOVE that song above most others.

• Members

Been working on writing a few songs this past week or two. None are quite finished yet so I'm submitting one as an instrumental. Not sure whether I should leave it alone as an instrumental or whether I should get working on some words, but anyway, here it is

Wow what sweet playing. I am not worthy. Really--that was so clean, so accomplished. I despair at the mojo of your craft, all the while I celebrate the sweetness of your song. Nice work!!!

• Members

On Valentine's Day last month, which coincidentally was the date of the last VOM1T, I recorded this song for my wife. So here's my cover of
that I recorded on Valentine's Day for my wife, and then fixed later in the mix.

Well {censored} brother where do I begin. What a beautiful tribute. I envy you. As for the recording, the vibe was PERFECT. Loved it in all its emotional loverliness. BUT! As a singer with a basso-profundo range, however, gotta say that vocally you were scraping the bottom o' the barrel. Capo up or transpose. Believe me--I have done this many times: I play a song at home very low volume and down low sounds cool in the quiet of my basement. And then I sing it "out"--in public or recording--and it's obvious I'm too low.

Jack it up 4 half-steps, at least.

• Members

This is all borrowed from The Hook, by Blues Traveler. Each part is one take so the timing is off. Honestly, there's something about when that light goes on I don't think it matters how many takes I do, the light just gets me. Anyway, here's my hack version...

It's all cool. But I kept wanting a vocal. Sing, brother! At any rate , good on you. Enjoyed this v muchas!

• Members

Good morning from Texas. Can't wait to hear all of the great music. Here is one I wrote during a period of time when I was really working on my lyrics.

Take it from a person who is mostly a songwriter (as opposed to a musician) Sweet! You got the knack, m'man! Rare thing. Sweet dense vibe, like baclava. Rare to find. Run with it.

• Members

Here is a new song that I wrote. I recorded this a couple weeks ago in one take and it's a little rough, but hey... it's open mic right?

I am SO gonna Strat all-y'all in April. Just you wait, 'enry 'iggins.

You've inspired me BobC! That was sweetly played. You got the song-writin' thing in the palm of your hand.

• Members

Hey folks, my apologies, I have been running behind the 8 ball for about 3 weeks now and didn't get the archive site and streamer updated yesterday.

However, I do believe it is now all in. This is one month I really need everyone to check my work, make sure your submission was included and is correct.

I noticed a lot of people saying they have been busy with work. Indeed this has been my issue this month, busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest. Hopefully, we can take that as a sign that the economy is starting to break loose? :idk:

Good session everyone and sorry for the tardiness.

• Members

I'm not sure I understand your question.

Please, bear with me. At first I thought this was a thread to post clips but it seems to have more to do witht he link in your sig. That's where we're supposed to post within a 24 hour period on a given day, right?

• Members

Please, bear with me. At first I thought this was a thread to post clips but it seems to have more to do witht he link in your sig. That's where we're supposed to post within a 24 hour period on a given day, right?

Yes, that is correct, jkater. On the 2nd Sunday of the month members of this board participate in the VOM (Virtual Open Mic) aka VOM1T (Virtual Open Mic; one take).

Join us on Sunday April 11th, won't you?

• Members

Just want to quickly say great job on all the entries. I don't have time to comment on everyone's, but I did listen and really enjoy the range of styles we get on here each month. I hope to participate again soon, but the new baby keeps me pretty busy and my practice time has really suffered as a result. But in the meantime, it's great to listen to everyone else.

• Members

Let's see if I can answer you.

The Virtual Open Mic (VOM) happens here at HCAG. Folks post links to songs here throughout the 24-hour period. During that period, folks also comment. Once the 24-hour period is up, submissions end but comments still continue.

The Virtual Open Mic Archive Site (in my sig) is where Ohioarrow stores all the VOMs (just the music and notes about individual submissions, but not the comments from HCAG). He recently added a streaming player that allows you to hear everything back-to-back (it's very cool). Once you register at the VOM Archive Site, you can use its various services: music hosting, email notifications, absentee posting and a few other cool things.

If you need me to clarify anything, let me know and I'll be glad to help you out. You may also PM if you wish. :)

• Members

Thanks guys! I appreciate. Sounds like a great idea. I'll try to join you in april.
:thu:

So look for a reminder from Stack of the upcoming April VOM on this forum about a week before the 2nd Sunday.

Then on that 2nd Sunday Stack will start a new thread similar to this one. Post your music file in that new thread.

Then afterwards, Joe will archive them at the site linked in Stack's sig.

• Members

Hi all! Can't wait to start streaming all the VOM goodness for this month
:)

Here's my contribution:

Title:
Yellow Ledbetter

Written By:
Pearl Jam

Fuss--I didn't comment on every submittal this time but I did hear them all, and yours was exceptional. I have a new friend/musical partner/fellow guitarist from China and we were discussing our respective musical life-goals yesterday. I told her: I want to learn to play like THIS and I showed her your VOM video.

• Members

Just rolled back into town from a brief camping trip - thank you, Queequeg, Black Hat, Michael Martin, Buck62, Sangemon, and any one else I missed for your comments and encouragement. I really enjoy the songwriting and recording process, and it's great to have so many ears listening and voices critiquing - your feedback is invaluable, and very much appreciated. I'll be getting to all the submissions in the next day or two once I get caught up with stuff here. Looks like another great VOM session!

• Members

Hey, just catching up with the VOM...

Michael Martin...very good as usual and the song was really interesting.

Chris C...Nice video and song. Presentation sweet and simple.

Blackhat...Good ole Bruce song done really well!!

garthman...nice tone on the guitar...good song too!

old school...what a great recording. You are very good. The song is great as well. Impressive.!!

Fendouglas...That was cool and really well done. I noticed:)

Stack...Nice multi track...Nice playing. One of your best!!

Poppytater...you are really coming along nicely...:cool:

Thats all so far...want to say thanks to: Michael M for his kind words...Qeequeg for picking me up and playing some great Strawberry Fields:)

Black hat for getting me an audition with the Oneders:D

and anyone I missed sorry but it is really cool that people even say anything about my stuff...it is really encouraging when someone notices!!

Archived