VOM 26 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, March 14, 2010

Stackabones

• Members

I love listening to all of you, but I have one little gripe. While I have been working away trying to get my guitar playing to sound clean and clear, you guys have moved the goal line. My practice was for naught, The VOM is now electric, with techno stuff I'll never get to. Reverb, overlayed this and replayed thru that, geez. But rock on anyway, you guys inspire me.

Guess when I can afford an H4, I'll go looking for a Les Paul special, (not).

:poke:

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Michael Martin - Man, this has an early Bob Dylan feel to it, but certainly sung much better Bob could have done it.

Chric Carnucci - Sweet, poetic, well done!

BlackHatHunter - That voice... THAT VOICE!!! Now that's what a lifetime of tough times sounds like! I mean, Bruce sounds like a tea-totelling yuppie by comparison.

tbryson - I'm a child of the 60's and I love the stuff from that era. You got that 60's vibe down pat with shades of Roy Orbison in your vocals. Kewl tune!

garthman - You got that Dylan thing nearly down pat. Love the bright tone on the guitar, but the vocals sound a little over-processed and I can hear a phase issue. You got the vocal chops, so don't hide your voice with effects. Experiment with mic placement to get the full bottom end of your voice, then keep it clean (no effects) and it'll sound perfect.

Oldskool_Texas - Great tune, fantastic recording! Very impressed... wow!

Fendouglas - Simon and Garfunkel with a Johnny Cash vibe and a brogue for a twist? If someone explained it to me that way I'd say they're crazy but it definitely works! Great listen!

Stackabones - If I ever had a chance to sit around by a fire on a tropical beach and drink and jam with Jimmy Buffet, I'll bet it would sound pretty darned close to "Losers Live Longer". Very enjoyable!

carguy - Love the song! Is there any way you could get a compressed 1920's vocal sound on your voice? That would really make that song come alive, IMHO. Good work!

hypcollector - I like guacamole too! Cool tune!

poppytater - You got the riffs, you just gotta smooth it out on the transition. That comes with time, but you'll get it. Nice recording for such basic equipment. You're all good in that department.

fatback - Guitar playing sounds real good, just a bit too distant from the mic.

g6120 - Sounds pretty good for a work in progress. I like it so far!

illinihoops - I love the song, but it sounds like you're holding back on the vocal because it's above your range. Have you tried dropping an octave? I think it would sound great!

Frets99 - Nice playing, very heartfelt. Love the subtle "ghost" organ. You rock, man.

That's all I can listen to for now, since I have to get up in 4 hours to get my kids ready for school.

Nice work so far! :thu:

I'll try to listen and comment some more tomorrow. :)

• Members

Absentee Post from: Fendouglas

Title: The Folker

Credits: Paul Simon(with additional lyrics by: Fred Wedlock; Jasper Carrot; Noel Murphy; Peter Afendoulis)

Priceless, and such a piece as this shall forever preclude me from playing Mr. Simon's song again without snickering. Thank you Peter.

Thanks Joe (and to everyone else who liked this month's ad hoc effort).

I've got to say that when I'm singing "The Folker" - and likewise "Go home to your Mother my lovely" - I find it very difficult not to drift off into the original (and vice versa!)

And they told me that this performing sh*t was easy!!!!

:rawk:

• Members

Hey,

I got too wrapped up this weekend and didn't get a song submitted. I have been working on a couple of new songs for a few people and just ran out of time to put one down to submit. My new job is eating up all my free time. I'm having to learn how to budget playing time and time spent on the forum.

I'll have to just do a song when I have time and not wait until the last minute to get one put together for Vom. I will be uploading some songs to the Annex this month, so for any of you interested, stop by and check them out. It's accumulating a lot of good music posted by forum members.

Now I only have time to enjoy what's been posted....I truly enjoy everyone's contributions......keep them coming.

C70man

• Members

I love listening to all of you, but I have one little gripe. While I have been working away trying to get my guitar playing to sound clean and clear, you guys have moved the goal line. My practice was for naught, The VOM is now electric, with techno stuff I'll never get to. Reverb, overlayed this and replayed thru that, geez. But rock on anyway, you guys inspire me.

But...I think I speak for many here if I say that more complex or using more gear isn't "better". I love unadorned 1-take/1-track stuff. That's what I did last month. And several submissions this month were of that type.

Practice is never for naught! And I'll bet that at some point you'll want to experiment with recording options. It's becoming easier and cheaper all the time.

• Members

Guess when I can afford an H4, I'll go looking for a Les Paul special, (not).

:poke:

I ain't using no electric and definitely no effects, defects, although we are subject to the occasional reject but you will have this. When I was mixing my first CD I kinda got a little goofy with the effects and decided that as with the jalapeno pepper sauce on the morning Cheerios, that a little goes a long way. So keep practicing.

Play the guitar, not the effects, you will be a better man for it

Tony

• Members

Wow... some really good entries as usual.

First, thanks for the really kind comments on my submission. The encouragement really helps this noob/hack keep going.

Second, a special comment for Poppytator: I really liked you entry. I can feel your blues through your sound and to me, that's what blues are about. I'll take being able to play with feeling over having all the technique in the world and sounding like a mechanical robot. I think you have feeling and you need to continue to tap that.

Third, for now here's some off the top of my head:

Michael Martin - I loved road kill. Well done!

Stackabones - I'm a fan of yours and this song confirms why. Not only are you a great musician, you're very entertaining. I think I could sit and watch you play all day long.

Carguy - WAY cool.

Blackhat - You're one of those guys that I'd love to sit down and jam with.

Buck62 - I think you could sell that song. I really enjoyed it.

Hypcollector - Cute. Reminds me of days when my daughter loved to do stuff like that. Embrace that because someday, she'll become a teen and not want to do that kind of stuff.

G6120 - I'm going to be honest here... You post a lot of songs that I enjoy. However, some of them start to sound alike. I was expecting that on your entry and have to say that I WAS BLOWN AWAY! I REALLY REALLY enjoyed that!

Queequeg - I've always loved that song. Your solo version was very cool and is the direction that I'm trying to take with my playing. BTW, I really like the sound of that guitar!

Sangemon - I'm a huge Clapton fan and think you did a great job on that song. That particular song has a lot sentimental meaning for me.

Frets99 - You sir a way cool. I always enjoy your videos. I'd be willing to bet that your a blast to hang out with.

Riffmeister - Your music takes me to another place... I get lost in it and I mean that in a good way.

Well done, PA!! Vocals had the right touch of feeling and really evoked, for lack of a better word! Good playing as well. Your duo should be a lot of fun with tunes like this. Love the standup in the back. Only played one a couple of times for bluegrass but they are a blast!!

• Members

Thanks Frets!

I always enjoy your vids tremendously.

Back around 1993 I got drafted to play bluegrass bass with some old college buds who had a band.( I was always a guitar player). I played elec for a few months until I found an old 51 Kay which was SO sweet. That bass pretty much became my gig meal ticket for 10-15 yrs as I was always in demand. Played the Kay until 2-3 yrs ago, when she developed problems too expensive to fix(severe top delam). Wound up getting this one as a replacement, its a new Romainian plywood. Its decent, but dont hold a candle to the old girl. The old 51 went back to the original owner(whose father bought it for her in 51 when she was 15 to play in their family band- I bought the bass from her in 93) now its just sentimental room decoration.

This bass is starting to open up and sound better, after a pro set up and finding the right strings for it.

If I could find a regular bluegrass gig it would get better faster, playing it regularly.

I moved again 2 yrs ago and have not found a suitable bluegrass group, so Im getting in whatever kind of playing I can.

I think next VOM I'll do something with just bass and vocal.

• Members

What a great Vom! I want to thank all that took the time to listen to my entry and I appreciate the comments. I took off yesterday to go to a jam, but I got to listen to all of the early morning entries. The wife and I enjoy spending the morning on Sunday listening to all this wonderful talent. I have a lot of work today, but I hope I will get the chance to write some individual comments. There sure is some great music here!:thu:

Bob

• Members

Thanks Frets!

I always enjoy your vids tremendously.

Back around 1993 I got drafted to play bluegrass bass with some old college buds who had a band.( I was always a guitar player). I played elec for a few months until I found an old 51 Kay which was SO sweet. That bass pretty much became my gig meal ticket for 10-15 yrs as I was always in demand. Played the Kay until 2-3 yrs ago, when she developed problems too expensive to fix(severe top delam). Wound up getting this one as a replacement, its a new Romainian plywood. Its decent, but dont hold a candle to the old girl. The old 51 went back to the original owner(whose father bought it for her in 51 when she was 15 to play in their family band- I bought the bass from her in 93) now its just sentimental room decoration.

This bass is starting to open up and sound better, after a pro set up and finding the right strings for it.

If I could find a regular bluegrass gig it would get better faster, playing it regularly.

I moved again 2 yrs ago and have not found a suitable bluegrass group, so Im getting in whatever kind of playing I can.

I think next VOM I'll do something with just bass and vocal.

Too bad you don`t live around here as my bluegrass band needs a bass player..

• Members

Ok, more to come, but this is a start:

Michael Martin - I love your voice, man. Add your songwriting abilities, and for the life of me I don't understand why you're not signed to a lucrative deal.

chriscarnucci - Delightful.

TBryson - I think the Oneders should buy the rights to this song!

Garthman - Dylan's been so prolific, it's easy to forget some of his stuff. Thanks for bringing this one back!

Oldskool_Texas - This entry reminded me that I need to better mix my tracks. If you're teachin', I'm listenin' :)

Fendouglas - a riot. And sung perfectly to complement the fun lyrics.

Stackabones - Brother Stack, I'm a fan of yours. This entry reinforces that statement.

Carguy - Public humiliation? Dang, I wish I could play and sing like you.

hypcollector - Involving the kids in music at an early age is all win. It's great for their brain, it's a perfect opportunity to bond, it's memories forever... perfect stuff, I tell you!

poppytater - better recording quality than the post lead me to believe. Them blues sure are fun to play!

fatback - That was a fine arrangement. and well-played, too!

g6120 - You made me wanna play with a band! Sounds awesome and I bet it was tons of fun.

• Members

Blackhat - You're one of those guys that I'd love to sit down and jam with.

I don't go to MI all that often, but if you come to Maine, let's definitely get together for a jam session!

Again, my thanks to all who listened and to those who make this happen through their selfless hard work.

• Members

Too bad you don`t live around here as my bluegrass band needs a bass player..

Its a pity. The BG scene around here is like this:

Very few good gigging bands, and none are need of a bass player right now.

Quite a few not so good players, who mainly just attend the 2-3 monthly area jams, same faces over and over. Ok as a social event, not so great musicians for the most part. I go to those sometimes and play banjo. But if Im gonna be in a band playing bass I want higher caliber pickin and singing.

• Members

I want to say thank you to all who took the time to listen to my post in the VOM. I tried to listen to everybody's else's submissions too. I really have to say that it's amazing how much talent the members collectively have on this forum. I enjoyed each and every song. Thanks to you all for posting.

I also want to say thanks to the following members who took the time to say something nice and offer some suggestions and criticisms: Stackabones, Sangemon, Queequeg, Michael Martin, Buck62, LiFeStArTs@40, and BlackHatHunter. I really appreciate your comments. Thanks guys!

• Members

Hey guys and gals... just got home from work, so this is a late entry.

This song is called
Life Gets In The Way

The music was written by my partner, the lyrics are mine.

My partner is playing the acoustic guitar and bass, I'm playing drums and doing both vocal tracks.

The fine fiddle work was done by a guy named Brad Athey, who has recorded and toured with Trisha Yearwood, Sara Evans and Pam Tillis. We found him thru a musician's website.

Here's a link to the tune...

Lyrics:

Time goes by but things don't change

So I drown my sorrows just to ease the pain

And I'm livin' for today

My dad said "Son, you can't go back"

and he was serious as a heart attack,

when he said... "Life gets in the way"

Well, I packed my shirts and I packed my jeans

and I left my home with a world of dreams

Just tryin' to make a name

I met a girl with sweet affection

and she pulled me in another direction

My plans got rearranged

Ten years have passed me by

I don't know how, I don't know why

Somehow I lost my way

I think about the good 'ole days

Forget about the plans you made

'cause... Life gets in the way

Now I was raised in a neighborhood

where the church is strong and the folks are good

and everyone knew my name

I was brought up to believe

I can be anything that I wanted to be

and let nothing stand in my way

Life was good, or so it seemed,

but the people were living on broken dreams

with only themselves to blame

It's funny how we just can't see

that life ain't what we want it to be

as our dreams all slip away

Ten years have passed me by

I don't know how, I don't know why

Somehow I lost my way

I think about the good 'ole days

Forget about the plans you made

'cause... Life gets in the way

*instrumental break*

Time goes by but things don't change

So I drown my sorrows just to ease the pain

And I'm livin' for today

Buck

Did you ever see the series Firefly - syfi western. Backing/incidental music very much in this style - really enjoyed this. Got any more?

Phil

• Members

Absentee Postings

Here we go then.

chriscarnucci

I like this but I hope you do not write from experience.

BlackHatHunter

A brilliant rendition - do you do born in the USA?

tbryson

You did good - I loved the chorus bit especially.

Phil

• Members

Here we go then.

chriscarnucci

I like this but I hope you do not write from experience.

BlackHatHunter

A brilliant rendition - do you do born in the USA?

tbryson

You did good - I loved the chorus bit especially.

Phil

Thanks man. No, I have never done that song. I guess because I am usually more attracted to his slower, introspective, story-telling tunes than I am his more bombastic, football-stadium anthems :)

To me the best song BS ever wrote is The Ghost of Tom Joad.

• Members

Absentee Postings

garthman

I've never heard this song either - enjoyed it.

Oldskool_Texas

great song

Fendouglas

I had never heard this before - I'll have to have a go and add my own bits to it. Brilliant

• Members

Thanks man. No, I have never done that song. I guess because I am usually more attracted to his slower, introspective, story-telling tunes than I am his more bombastic, football-stadium anthems
:)

To me the best song BS ever wrote is The Ghost of Tom Joad.

Believe it or not I only really got into him because of the Seeger Sessions.

Phil

Archived