VOM 26 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, March 14, 2010

Stackabones

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Greetings

Back from a couple of days on the road and ready to roll. Since this being the week of St Patrick's Day I figured I would cut loose with one of my Celtic inspired numbers. This one is from my second CD 'Last Sun' and is titled Angels Attack. It goes without saying that this ain't one of my more mellower works.

Give it a listen and let me know what you think

Thanks

Tony

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Last VOM we had some discussions about Guy Clark and that prompted me to dig up one of his songs that I like. This is a recent song of his. It is called Somedays You Write The Songs. I had trouble with my recording set up, so it isn't exactly a one take. I recorded my Guild Jumbo and Rogue Mandolin.

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php?p=play&id=Starrshine/Somedays_You_Write_the_Song_mixdown01.mp3

Bob

• Members

Continuing....

illinihoops - Not a big Modest Mouse fan, but nice job!

Frets99 - BeeGees!!!! Love the organ!

Glenn F - Get Well Soon!!

slingblade10 - Don't know Pete Murray. Nice song, and nice job on it. I'll be looking him up and listening to more from him.

Queequeg - Classic! Nicely done.

Surrealistic - Sounds good! Needs lyrics.

riffmeister - Stunning, as usual. You, sir, are an inspiration.

LiFeStArTs@40 - Love this song! Nicely done! Needs a lead, keep developing this.

bludog79 - Great song! I love the lyrics, very timely, and it's really nicely done. It's interesting how the kind of sweet and upbeat tone of your guitar plays against the very sad lyrics.

bobc - Nice song. The strat sounds great. I just got an Amer. Std. Tele that I can't wait to record with. You've got a great voice.

FussenKuh - Your guitar playing is a lesson in humility for me. I always like your submissions.

Pine Apple Slim - Great old song! Nicely done!

TSMusic - As usual, your energy astounds me.

Starrshine - I love that song! And the mando sounds good! Can't wait to record with mine!

phoniclab - Another classic! GOOD JOB!

Another great VOM! I'll be back to look for more submissions later...

• Members

John's tune by John renbourn. I used to play that piece quite well but i just started playing it again after not playing it for ten years, dusty and all. I rushed a bit to post it on youtube but fact is, my chops aren't what they once were. A couple of mistakes and a bunch of botched notes and yet, it's listenable. Nice tune in any case.

[YOUTUBE]_6LHlJK-RS0[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Michael Martin - Michael you are the poet laureate of the HCAGF dig!

chriscarnucci - beautiful, and timely as we welcome the spring season. good video, too!

BlackHatHunter - good one. You got more gravel in your voice than the quarry done the river road, man.

TBryson - yup, you nailed that moptop vibe, boy. Sounds a little bit like "The Night Before".

Garthman - Very good peformance job as usual Garthman. (Your recording seems a bit too hot though.)

Oldskool_Texas - excellent. very polished.

Fendouglas - very clever and very well done.lililililili

Stackabones - You'r an instant groove machine, Stack. bravo!

Carguy - haven't heard this old classic for decades. where have you been hiding, carguy? public humiliation? Are you kidding me? Serve us up some more of this!

hypcollector - ode to guacamole, and richly deserved. Bravo to you & to Abilgail

poppytater - major blues going on here, poppy. keep it up, man.

fatback - I remember this tune. good job. hope you get the git you really want.

g6120 - damn, Gil. you are so connected and collaborative. this is a real rocker, too.A favorite for sure.

illinihoops - Nice job, illinihoops. yeah the banjo adds a certain je ne sais quoi, you know what I mean? dig it.

Frets99 - i dig this old tune, frets. nice work. Your pipes are powerful, sir.

Glenn F - Get Well Soon!!

slingblade10 - yeah, "sounds OK", Johnathan times 10. sounds great to me.

Sangemon - yeah, I head this one last month and listened again all the way through again today. Mighy fine, Tom. Lucky woman. Always liked this song.

Surrealistic - well done & your guitar sounds real nice. Try some vox over this. I think it wil mix just right.

riffmeister - lovely performance (as usual) Riff. Your recordings are really good, too.

LiFeStArTs@40 - oh yeah, the dreaded red light of death. well, maybe not death, but paralysis, any way. But you pulled it off. I never would have known if you hadnt told us. And it takes one to know one, and I got it in spades when it comes to performance anxiety (of the musical kind, you guys!)

bludog79 - geeze, what isit with you guys in Texas. Bogarting all the talent. could you just save a little bit for the rest of us? Great job!

bobc - that strat sounds great, and your song is real fine. Reminds me of America, you know?

FussenKuh - Good PJ tune. They were in SNL last night. You nailed 'em. thumbs up!

Pine Apple Slim - good tune, although I do not recall it. got that 60s groove for sure. ah, those were the days, musically speaking. I coould hear Roy Orbison doing a tune like this. Like the looks of that doghouse in the background, too.

TSMusic- Hey Tony,pass that espresso over here. I need a shot o' what you got!

Starrshine - nice going, bob. Like the way your deep bass vox is juxtaposed with the high tenor of the mandolin.

phoniclab - man, I wore this one out on vynal back in the day. your version bringsback good memories. thanks!

RT1- good to have you back around again these days, Donnie. Really enjoyed this entry. Keep 'em coming, man.

Jkater- great choice. Renbourn ain't easy[intricate & complex] but you made it look like it. Sounds great.

• Members

but you made it look like it. Sounds great.

I was in Canterbury yesterday. I tried a range of guitars that I would normally consider in my price range (and ability range) Non of them particularly spoke to me. Talking to the sales assistant - we discussed what kind of thing I was really looking for. He directed me towards some Taylors and x series martins. Now I generally do not like playing instruments that I don't consider myself in the market for (anything costing more than lets say

• Members
I was in Canterbury yesterday. I tried a range of guitars that I would normally consider in my price range (and ability range) Non of them particularly spoke to me. Talking to the sales assistant - we discussed what kind of thing I was really looking for. He directed me towards some Taylors and x series martins. Now I generally do not like playing instruments that I don't consider myself in the market for (anything costing more than lets say

• Members

Hi Phil - I have played both of those guitars quite a bit. Love both Martins and Taylors. In that price range, you should really plug them in. In my opinion the Martin X has a little bit better pickup system than the Taylor 200 series. Once you get up to the expression systems on the 400 series Taylors it is more about personal taste. Plug them in to something comparable to what you play through if you can.

Thanks - but the folk club where I play has a mic'd stage so I think that I actually still be going for a pure acoustic. The other problem is when ever I plug in an A/E guitar it always sounds odd. Perhaps what I need to do is have someone else play while I listen.

Phil

• Members

I'd forgotten that it was this week and things have been busy with the kids' birthdays and company coming over, so I'm gonna have to "phone this one in" and post a link to my current woodshedding effort of Andy McKee's "Ebon Coast" that I recorded a couple of weeks ago. I'm using my Larriv

• Members

Carguy
- Nice job! Great song and well played. Interesting flanging effect with the reverb there. I'm listening on a good set of cans and your voice is swimming in circles around my head. It's kinda cool. Do you know how you got that?

I have absolutely no idea. After I recorded the song, I just clicked on one of the reverb options in Garageband and that was that. But, thanks for the kind words.

• Members

ChrisC--When I saw the silhouetted kissing young lovers I though oh lordy, schmaltz alert...god save me from happy lovers and all their happy love. But I shoulda known better, after your poignant Xmas tune. What a bittersweet and succinct piece. The book of love's travails in 16 lines, so much more potent than any epic poem. Not a syllable or a string-pluck wasted.

Black Hat--Ah, one of my very fave BS songs, which says a lot, he has so many that I love. I have always wanted to cover this one myself. Love the spare arrangement and your rocky-riverbed vocal is a great touch. But hey put yourself up there in the visuals 'stead of the Boss...! You ain't bad lookin'...

tbryson--definitely pick up on the Beatlesque vibe/influence. I sensed a touch of "Things we Said Today". It is a goal in my life to write a song that sounds like The Beatles could've created it. Nice job m'man.

Garth--A Dylan song i've not heard. Love the woody/echoey vibe. Short and Sweet. I also love your voice and vocal style.

Old Skool TX--Wow...in a league beyond, in terms of professional sound/production and musicianship. That's a new song to me (which is not saying much, given my sheltered life). Nice work.

FenDouglas--O god help me. Best thing I've ever heard at a VOM. As a rule I do not "LOL" whilst at my laptop, but here I was just about out of the chair at least 6 times. This is absolutely priceless. Way too much fun for one song. "...ruined my sex life when I fell and broke my wrist" :) ...that one just about brought tears of laughter. OK I have another goal in life. I want to hear you do that live in a pub. I'll buy the Guinness all night just to hear that song. An PS thanks for the glossary of terms. Very helpful for all of us out here where the buffalo roam.

More feedback later for subsequent submittals. Thanks to those who commented on mine.

• Members
I'd forgotten that it was this week and things have been busy with the kids' birthdays and company coming over, so I'm gonna have to "phone this one in" and post a link to my current woodshedding effort of Andy McKee's "Ebon Coast" that I recorded a couple of weeks ago. I'm using my Larriv

• Members

OK a few more feedbackses...

Stack--Your bits always so "immediate", like you're right here in my living room. Love the lead figures. And the subtle second voice. Nice touch. "Broken bones grow stronger"--yes. I SO get this song, you'll never know how much I do. Excellent work m'friend. You know what? The best songs--like the 12 bar blues--take a good ol' basic progression and make something fresh and new and loverly. That's what you did here.

CarGuy--Aw man sweet guitar work. And a cool cover. Constructive criticism alert: the flange-y reverby thing is initially cool but eventually distracting. Dial that back and use it more selectively.

HypCollector--The love exudes, man. What a sweet little vocal she added. Got 2 daughters meself, always wanted them to record with me...they're both too shy. In your recording a bit too much 'verb to my liking, but really enjoyed this collab.

Poppytater--Cassette mike? So what? Da blues sp'osed to be raw, man. I dug this in all its low-tech glory. You gutted it out. Good job m'friend.

Fatback--Well now that was interesting. Does anybody else hear Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" somewhere in the background? Nice!

G6120--Slick. Great live gig song. I can still hear the inexorable hidden hand of NY, from the Rust Never Sleeps era. Which means--it's cool! Constructive criticism alert--the lead guitar seems a bit too "Boston". {censored} it up a bit and raise its grit index to match the more earthy-rock character of the song.

• Members

OK a few more feedbackses...

CarGuy
--Aw man sweet guitar work. And a cool cover. Constructive criticism alert: the flange-y reverby thing is initially cool but eventually distracting. Dial that back and use it more selectively.

Thanks man, and I agree about the reverb. I actually don't know how I did it. It just illustrates what little grasp of Garageband I have. I hope to improve as I get more accustomed to using that program.

• Members

Well, by my clock it's almost closing time ... but you know what? If it's still Second Sunday where you live, keep posting. Even it's a bit past Second Sunday and Monday Morning is blinking its bright eyes in your face ...

post 'em if you got 'em!

The mic is still on if you need it ...

• Members

Hey guys and gals... just got home from work, so this is a late entry.

This song is called Life Gets In The Way

The music was written by my partner, the lyrics are mine.

My partner is playing the acoustic guitar and bass, I'm playing drums and doing both vocal tracks.

The fine fiddle work was done by a guy named Brad Athey, who has recorded and toured with Trisha Yearwood, Sara Evans and Pam Tillis. We found him thru a musician's website.

Here's a link to the tune...

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php?p=play&id=Buck62/09_-_lifegetsintheway.mp3

Lyrics:

Time goes by but things don't change

So I drown my sorrows just to ease the pain

And I'm livin' for today

My dad said "Son, you can't go back"

and he was serious as a heart attack,

when he said... "Life gets in the way"

Well, I packed my shirts and I packed my jeans

and I left my home with a world of dreams

Just tryin' to make a name

I met a girl with sweet affection

and she pulled me in another direction