Martin Backpacker? Classical vs Steal String

AnalogMan13

• Members

Hello looking to buy one because there cheap and i can use it this summer, also all year no matter where i go. I love to strum and finger pick.

Which backpacker is the best can i stick nylons on the steal string version if i wanted? Which ones the loudest/ best sounding? Thanks hopes someone has some feedback. No i can afford a taylor baby or little martin right now this is just something to toss/take everwhere i want care if it gets stolen or broke etc no worries type deal.:thu:

• Members

Hello looking to buy one because there cheap and i can use it this summer, also all year no matter where i go. I love to strum and finger pick.

Which backpacker is the best can i stick nylons on the
steal
string version if i wanted? Which ones the loudest/ best sounding? Thanks hopes someone has some feedback. No i can afford a taylor baby or little martin right now this is just something to toss/take everwhere i want care if it gets
stolen
or broke etc no worries type deal.
:thu:

:D Sorry, I just couldn't resist ;)

• Members

Neither are very loud.

I carried around a steel string Backpacker for years while on business trips.

It kept me in practice, and proved to be very reliable.

If your main guitar is a steel string, go steel. If nylon go nylon.

Preserve the callous.

Dale.

• Members

I have the steel string and it's an odd lil git, but it travels very well. I've used it when I've gone overseas. You could probably stick ball-ended nylon strings on it without too much fuss, but I wouldn't try putting steel-strings on the Classical Backpacker. You have to have a strap with these gits.

My throw-in-the-trunk-just-in-case guitar is a Squier SP1. About $100 and I don't fret about the Texas trunk heat trauma.

• Members

Thanks guys yea i was thinking get the steal string. That it could prob hold the nylons decent for when i need to practice other stuff when bored etc.Also thought about geting the fender The CD-60 for a beater only $15 more for a full dread. But i realy like the idea of taking the back packer on a planes trains & automobiles.lol Who knows always geting gas over something.

• Members

The Backpacker is the best travel guitar around when mobility is the issue.

Sure, bigger gits have a better sound, but they are not as mobile as the backpacher.

I would say go for the streel, you can put ball end nylons on it anytime. Or silk&steel if preferred.

You can't put steel on the nylon backpacker...

Apart from thr bridge construction, the backpackers are much the same, the steel one even has a flat fretboard like the nylon one ....

• Members

Which backpacker is the best can i stick nylons on the steal string version if i wanted? Which ones the loudest/ best sounding? Thanks hopes someone has some feedback. No i can afford a taylor baby or little martin right now this is just something to toss/take everwhere i want care if it gets stolen or broke etc no worries type deal.

I've only played a few, but my experience is that the steel string version is somewhat better sounding/slightly louder than the nylon string version...not that either sounds like much (the tinier body limits both aspects, you understand...otoh, if you get the a/e version of either, you might be very impressed with the plugged-in tone! It's not too bad!)

Hope this is of some help! :cool:

• Members

I've only played a few, but my experience is that the steel string version is somewhat better sounding/slightly louder than the nylon string version...not that either sounds like much (the tinier body limits both aspects, you understand...otoh, if you get the a/e version of either, you might be very impressed with the plugged-in tone! It's not too bad!)

Hope this is of some help!
:cool:

Thanks yea i should prob wait and get the electric one or just add a pickup later. I seen a few utube vids of people playing slide with them. It realy sounded good i was blown away. either way it will be a fun addition to the family,and save my high end accoustic from drunken nights camping/traveling.:cool:

• Members

I had the classical years ago and hated it. Never stayed in tune, played horrible... I tossed it. About two months ago I won one in a raffle. I gave it to my daughter. She won't play it either. I've never played the steelstring, and I'm not in a big hurry to. I love Martin, but the Backpacker is not at all for me.

• Members

Forget the Martin Backpacker. I suggest the Yamaha FG-JR with gigbag for $129.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-JR1-Mini-Folk-Guitar?sku=510692

I had one and you can easily stick it in a knapsack. It sounded and played great and of course it had Yamaha quality workmanship. I gave it to a friend of mine years ago after I didn't need it anymore.

Some demos:

[YOUTUBE]GUmnS2RNQLk[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]PODj7GanLUk[/YOUTUBE]

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Oh Dear :facepalm:

You do it again. You compare the Backpacker to a guitar.

The only thing in common between a backpacker and a guitar is, that it has frets and 6 strings, tuned EADGBH. Compare the body volume of a backpacker and the body volume of that yammie and then you see, why it sounds different (but not necessarily bad). The backpacker is specifically designed to be used, where a guitar can't. Not more, not less. If you have the room for a bigger git, you don't need a backpacker. But if you're restricted in size and weight, the backpacker is the way to go. I hold my backpacker in the drawer in the office and there is enough room left for most of my paper files. The yammie won't even fit in there on it's own. Same on the plane. I can haz sox ant geetah!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Oh Dear
:facepalm:
You do it again. You compare the Backpacker to a guitar.

The only thing in common between a backpacker and a guitar is, that it has frets and 6 strings, tuned EADGBH. Compare the body volume of a backpacker and the body volume of that yammie and then you see, why it sounds different (but not necessarily bad). The backpacker is specifically designed to be used, where a guitar can't. Not more, not less. If you have the room for a bigger git, you don't need a backpacker. But if you're restricted in size and weight, the backpacker is the way to go. I hold my backpacker in the drawer in the office and there is enough room left for most of my paper files. The yammie won't even fit in there on it's own. Same on the plane. I can haz sox ant geetah!

I agree you cant compare regardless what the majority said. I Just ordered the steel string backpacker.:thu: Because though size is not an issue at the moment it could be tomorrow, Like you said easy to hide at work planes trains etc. I know it will not sound like a guitar and i think that would be neat something new. If it will not stay tuned. Then ill send her back maybe get a cheap 000 guitar Alvarez maybe they have one for 150. Also im geting the backpacker brand new for that price. Thanks for all your help I really hope maybe i could pull off playing some slap experimental stuff on it, But a 000 is prob better for that.

• Members

I agree you cant compare regardless what the majority said. I Just ordered the steel string backpacker.
Because though size is not an issue at the moment it could be tomorrow, Like you said easy to hide at work planes trains etc. I know it will not sound like a guitar and i think that would be neat something new. If it will not stay tuned. Then ill send her back maybe get a cheap 000 guitar Alvarez maybe they have one for 150. Also im geting the backpacker brand new for that price. Thanks for all your help I really hope maybe i could pull off playing some slap experimental stuff on it, But a 000 is prob better for that.

No worries about tuning, it will stay in tune. Well, at least mine does.

One thing: Only extra light strings... I know, it sounds better with light or even heavier, but this thingy has NO TRUSSROD - that's why you can carry it aboard a plane, but that's why Martin sez to use only extra lights.

And using heavier strings will invalidate your lifetime warranty. Yes, it has the Martin lifetime warranty ...

• Members

I defy the benefits of a trussrod in that special case.

a) the backpacker is short and stubby and has a relatively voluminous "neck", there is no need for a trussrod

b) trussrods can (and will) fight the wood when there are rapid changes in pressure, temperature, humidity, you name it. In those cases, a trussrod can be worse than no trussrod, as it will work itself lose.

In the special case of a travel guitar - and the Martin Backpacker is - there are pros and cons with everything. Sure, a trussrod will allow you to use medium gauge strings, but if you leave, let's say Anchorage on a plane to Miami, your conventional guitar will be very stressed, the backpacker not so.

I carried mine in its standard bag, no special casing, nothing, literally on my back on a two-week motorbike holiday, from the Dutch plains along the Meuse up to the Vosges, Alpes Maritime down to the Riviera. Rain, sun, heat, altitude changes, you name it. It got the odd ding, but other than that it stayed in tune most of the time and took the stress extremely well.

• 9 years later...

Archived