OT: Looking for a Kazoo. Budget $1-2

Stackabones

• Members

Ok, I may stretch it a bit if I find a lifetime kazoo, but I'd have to clear it with the home office if you know what I mean.

I've heard all the debates about metal and plastic, but I'm still on the fence about carbon fibers. I've had my eyes on these two and would like to hear from anyone who has owned either one.

Grover-Trophy 701B, the classic choice

555285.jpg

http://folk-instruments.musiciansfriend.com/product/Grover-Trophy-701B-Metal-Kazoo?sku=464240

Hohner Kazoo (not a big fan of the name on the top)

250526.jpg

http://folk-instruments.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hohner-Kazoo?sku=420558

The feature section says "Random color" ... does that mean you can't select your color? :idk:

Do I need a case?

Also, how do y'all amplify your kazoos for performances? I'm thinking of doing some kazoo gigs to pick up a little extra dough. I know that mic'ing is the way to go, but some gigs will be too noisy. I'm thinking about this ....

electric_kazoo.jpg

Way beyond my budget, I know, and it brings up the issue of kazoo amps.

• Members

Don't forget to take into consideration the kazoo's resistance to changes in humidity. My kazoo goes all haywire around this time of year when the humidity starts rising- the action is horrible.

Yeah, that's why I'm thinking about a case with a built-in hygrometer.

• Members

I headed up the Butler University Kazoo Ensemble in 1993.

There were four of us as memory serves. We played 2 gigs supporting the theatre department's improv group. Our shtick was that whatever song we'd start would eventually turn into Paint It Black.

We were men about it, no amplification. 4 Kazoos at stage volume!

• Members

I'm laughing my ass off as I write this, but can't you just picture heading out on stage to the roar of applause, your trusty factory-second kazoo in your pocket - at the right moment, you stick that sucker in your mouth, take a big deep breath and........:idk::idk::idk::idk::idk::idk::idk:

• Members

I'm laughing my ass off as I write this, but can't you just picture heading out on stage to the roar of applause, your trusty factory-second kazoo in your pocket - at the right moment, you stick that sucker in your mouth, take a big deep breath and........
:idk:

My wife and I were doing music together and she was to do a kazoo solo for a jug band song. She picked it up and then began to blow into it. :facepalm:

• Members

You can't go with those cheap kazoos. You need to go with a custom builder. Be sure that the mouthpiece is bone, not plastic.

Everyone knows that mouthpiece material has no effect on tone! Unlike bridge pins!

BTW if you go for the plastic model go with the purple, I hear they have much more bass than the greens or blues, and the orange are way to muddy sounding.

Archived