Low E string is 1/2 the volume of the other strings when plugged in....

dcooper830

• Members

I've seen this on acoustic/electric guitars before...... where one or more strings aren't as loud as the others when the guitar is plugged in.

I think it may have something to do with the copper strip under the bridge piece maybe?

My question is - Has anyone else come across this? And is it an easy fix?

I just bought an Ibanez AW30ECE and it's having that problem with the low E string being quieter.

At first it was OK...... but then about halfway through the gig is when it started being quieter.

• Members

Sorry Coop, this is a bit beyond me, particularly with pre-installed preamps. What kind of preamp is it? What kind of pick-up is it? Where is it mounted? Have you played with the EQ or any notch controls that might be on the preamp?

I think this is probably more to elucidate additional information for someone who really knows what they are talking about more than anything else.

• Members

Stuff like this typically happens when the undersaddle piezo strip doesn't have a good contact with the saddle in a certain area. A bad contact means that fewer vibrations are transfered from the saddle to the piezo, which means that the string above the dead spot sounds a lot quieter than the others.

The fix is pretty simple, though I'm not sure exactly what it is :facepalm:. I know it involves using something (like putty or clay) to fill in the gap, but that's about the extent of my knowledge on the subject. I'm sure someone else will know the whole procedure.

• Members

Often the under-saddle transducer is not properly placed. You might only have to move it slightly. The other thing is that saddles must have either a perfectly flat bottom or have tooth-like notches cut in them that are the exact same dimension. Most companies make them flat because it is easier. I think notches work better, but, they are way more time-consuming to make.

The other problem seen often is a shim is under part of the saddle. You can find this more on imported guitars, especially in the low-end of the market.

In this case, replacing the saddle with one that is properly cut is the best option.

Most likely the issue is scenario number one.

• Members

What they said...

Pull out the saddle and make sure it is flat (level) on the bottom so it contacts the pickup (that copper strip you mentioned) evenly.

You may have to sand it some, or you may have to replace it altogether.

Or there could be a shim in there that you may have to remove.

• Members

. . . The fix is pretty simple, though I'm not sure exactly what it is
:facepalm:
. I know it involves using something (like putty or clay) to fill in the gap, but that's about the extent of my knowledge on the subject. I'm sure someone else will know the whole procedure.

Take the saddle and UST out and put a thin layer of clay in the slot. Then put the UST and saddle back in. For more info, go here: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/archive/index.php/t-1378284.html. Before you do it though make sure the bottoms of the saddle and slot are flat. Take the saddle out, put it on a flat surface such as a table top and check to make sure there's no light visible under the bottom edge. Check the slot for debris or anything else that might be interfering. If the bottom of the saddle is at fault, sand it so that it's flat. Just be careful to maintain proper action.

Archived