Just when I though I saw everything, I see this Ibanez Montage in GC...

gitmo

• Members

A guy in our change band has one. It reallly had a great plugged in sound. It could sound acoustic or full-on electric.

The problem is, he had it for a about a year and the electronics crapped out. He took it back to the dealer and they told him there was nothing wrong. He demonstrated that there was something wrong.

He left it with the dealer for a month before they determined they needed to send it to Ibanez. Ibanez had it for several weeks and he could not get any information from anyone.

Finally Ibanez responded with "Ummm....there seems to be a problem with your guitar. We'll be glad to send you a new one, except we don't make it in black anymore. How about a red one?"

He agreed to that only under the condition that if he not like it, he can send it back. He said that when he got the first one, he played five different ones and the only one that played ok was the black one (the one he bought).

Summary: It's a nice guitar as long as it works and as long as you get a good one.

• Members

The problem is, he had it for a about a year and the electronics crapped out.

I did notice it had a VERY complete/complcated array of electronics.

I strummed it on the rack but didn't have much time. I'll take it down off the rack next time to check it out acoustically as well as the warranty.;)

• Members

Looks slicker than snot. But if there's reliability issues . . .

It's very reminiscent of that fancy-pants Taylor crossover guitar. Don't ask me for the model number, but it looks pretty much the same as the Ibanez. Anyway, I played one a while back at GC, and I was very underwhelmed. It had all these built-in acoustic models and none of them sounded usable.

Godin makes a few guitars like that (as FlipFlop pointed out) . . . I want to say that Carvin---or maybe Cort?---makes a guitar like that as well, but I could be making that up :idk:.

• Members

Looks slicker than snot. But if there's reliability issues . . .

It's very reminiscent of that fancy-pants Taylor crossover guitar. Don't ask me for the model number, but it looks pretty much the same as the Ibanez. Anyway, I played one a while back at GC, and I was very underwhelmed. It had all these built-in acoustic models and none of them sounded usable.

Godin makes a few guitars like that (as FlipFlop pointed out) . . . I want to say that Carvin---or maybe Cort?---makes a guitar like that as well, but I could be making that up
:idk:

I think you're talking about the Taylor T5. I sort of agree with you. I've played a couple. They seem neither fish nor foul.

• Members

I've never bought the idea that I need I hybrid guitar. I frequently play electric and acoustic on the same gig and I'll admit its a bit of a pain to haul an extra guitar. However, it would be more of a pain to play one of those hybrids that doesn't sound quite as good as my electric nor quite as good as my acoustic. I have yet to be truly impressed by one. The T5 came close.

• Members

Crafter, maybe?

SAT-TMVS_front.jpg

Yes indeed! :thu: This is one of the Crafter SAT series (spec here):

http://www.crafterguitars.com/gallery_acoustic/sat_tmvs.php

I've played one of these and they are superb.

Also superb are the SA series, especially with their facility to blend the magnetic and piezo UST pick-ups:

http://www.crafterguitars.com/gallery_acoustic/sa_tmvs.php

PS. And at around $650 from www.gearhounds.com you really can't go wrong.

• Members

I tried out one of the Crafters at a local guitar shop. I didn't plug it in as I was just wasting about a half-hour while waiting to be somewhere. It played well enough.

It is certainly meant to be plugged in.

I've been toying w/ the idea of getting a hybrid. It would be nice to take it to an open mic and plug it into the PA. The depth of my GAD combined w/ the depth of my belly makes for a long reach. :cry:

• Members

I've never bought the idea that I need I hybrid guitar. I frequently play electric and acoustic on the same gig and I'll admit its a bit of a pain to haul an extra guitar. However, it would be more of a pain to play one of those hybrids that doesn't sound quite as good as my electric nor quite as good as my acoustic. I have yet to be truly impressed by one. The T5 came close.

Agree, get a Tele to go along with an acoustic and you can cover just about anything.

Archived