Gary Potter

garthman

• Members

Yes, Gary not Harry.

Everyone has heard of Harry Potter but not many have heard of Gary Potter which is a shame because he is one of the world's greatest guitarists. I define a great guitarist as one who has not only superb technical skill but also the artistic ability to interpret music and inject "colour" into their playing: Gary has these attributes by the bucket load. He can play any style of music on any guitar - the theory that a certain type of guitar is somehow "better" than another for a particular type of music doesn't get a look-in when Gary plays.

Originally from Liverpool, he now lives in Wales - not too far away from me, in fact - and often entertains us FOC in the local pubs. I have seen him play many times and am always totally enthralled.

Here is a vid of him, recorded about 20 years ago (when he was 20- something), playing "Cannon Ball Rag" - on a Telecaster!

Marvel.

[YOUTUBE]SOxo8-Wswb4[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Very gd playing..i can only dream of playing guitar like such :lol:

But hey he mustve put some practice in through his young yrs

you need a life..mind you he has reaped the benefits now for to play like such

must give a person a nice feeling :thu:

• Members

the man is obviously unhappy and has no life outside his guitar. He's probably also impotent.

Why am I still jealous?
:facepalm::lol:

Oh he has a life alright! I tend to think of Gary as the Keith Richards of jazz guitar LOL.

Here are a couple of vids of him when he's had several pints of good English beer:

[YOUTUBE]e7xVPojg_g8[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]d17hr_XLqSo[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

The Legacy of Django ... this vid was shot in Samois sur Seine, about ohhhh 3 miles from where I live and where they have the Django festival every year cause he lived there. Its starts the end of June and its going to be too good ;):thu:

• Members

The Legacy of Django ... this vid was shot in Samois sur Seine, about ohhhh 3 miles from where I live and where they have the Django festival every year cause he lived there. Its starts the end of June and its going to be
too
good
;):thu:

Yes, indeed :thu: A great event - hope you enjoy it.

This is Gary's first appearance there:

[YOUTUBE]OXSr0Bh8DVU[/YOUTUBE]

Archived