1 musician, 1 guitar, 1 voice - who does it best?

Stackabones

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Phil Keaggy.....uses loops to sound like a 7 piece band,and sings like McCartney.

James Taylor....I wish he would do a cd just using his guitar and voice.

Robert Johnson....Not the greatest voice but plays a mean guitar.

Neil Young.....He can do a solo gig by himself,why use a band?

• Members
I enjoyed that. Looking quickly at my partner's record collection listing on our home computer (though I'm at work
:)
) I see she has something called "Slice of Life Solo" by BC. Is this similar stuff?

"Slice O Life" is recordings of Bruce playing a lot of his songs as a solo artist.

His other live albums have been band related.

So.........I would say that it is similar stuff.

• Members

"Slice O Life" is recordings of Bruce playing a lot of his songs as a solo artist.

His other live albums have been band related.

So.........I would say that it is similar stuff.

2010 marks the 40th anniversary of BC's first recording. This week in Toronto there'll be a tribute to him as part of the Luminato Arts Festival.

• Members

Gosh - I wish when people would respond to these threads with a video, they would at least take 5 seconds to put the name of the artist/song along with it. Those of us that have YouTube blocked by our corporate firewall have no idea what you posted. Of course that's more our problem than yours - but all I see is a long blank space when someone does that.

Some good ones have been mentioned but in a more modern context, I have heard both John Mayer and Jason Mraz do some amazing solo work. Dave Matthews can hold the stage by himself I would think, but I admit adding Tim Reynolds makes it even better.

I pretty much gig that way exclusively - always have as an acoustic player. More of a matter of necessity - never been able to find somebody who contributes enough to the result to warrant splitting the money with.
But man, there are no solos to cool out behind and you have to be on your A game every second to hold a crowd for a 3-4 hour gig, even with breaks.

Archived