Acoustic DVD

Stackabones

• Members

Looking for some good titles to watch over the summer. No lesson-based stuff, just good pickin' or even films with great acoustic-based music cookin' in the background. Netflix needs to send me some stuff!

Stochelo Rosenberg & Romane, Gypsy Guitar Masters

Grisman & Garcia, Grateful Dawg

The Third Man -- yeah, I know it's a zither, but wow!

Chet Atkins & Jerry Reed - In Concert At The Bottom Line

• Members

once-poster-0.jpg

I really liked that vid. There was a song in there - "Gold" by Interference - which has become one of my staples. (if you want to play it the tuning is EBEEBE). That is the song they were singing in the pub w/ a fiddle accompanying.

• Members

I
really
liked that vid. There was a song in there - "Gold" by Interference - which has become one of my staples. (if you want to play it the tuning is EBEEBE). That is the song they were singing in the pub w/ a fiddle accompanying.

+1

I like that tune as well as "Say It To Me Now" from the opening scene where the two leads meet. I think it's in open E.

• Members

I
really
liked that vid. There was a song in there - "Gold" by Interference - which has become one of my staples. (if you want to play it the tuning is EBEEBE). That is the song they were singing in the pub w/ a fiddle accompanying.

And I love her so ...

My fav tune is "Once," which iirc only plays over the end credits, but the song is a marvel of songwriting. The whole film is just chock-full of excellent songs.

EdBega, that's a killer Dylan flick.

• Members

And I love her so ...

My fav tune is "Once," which iirc only plays over the end credits, but the song is a marvel of songwriting. The whole film is just chock-full of excellent songs.

I've got the soundtrack on my HDD. There isn't a bad track on it, IMO.

• Members

When the dvd came out a few years ago, I remember thinking that it was too bad that these pickers didnt get together until well after their prime. Man, was I ever wrong. Definitely a good show.

The dark side is a blast, we play bars mostly and have a great time. we are all seasoned with a wide repertoire, and our song list shows it. Completely different than acoustic, I had to learn new techniques, but it was worth it.

I still am active acoustically though. I do a solo about once a week and the three (sometimes 4 or 5) piece acoustic ensemble plays throughout the summer, once or twice a month. We do Smither, Hiatt, Garcia/Grissman, Grateful Dead, etc.

Thanks for asking Chris. I still try to read the forum, but have not been posting very much. That is mostly due to time constraints.

• Members

Looking for some good titles to watch over the summer. No lesson-based stuff, just good pickin' or even films with great acoustic-based music cookin' in the background. Netflix needs to send me some stuff!

Stochelo Rosenberg & Romane,
Gypsy Guitar Masters

Grisman & Garcia,
Grateful Dawg

The Third Man
-- yeah, I know it's a zither, but wow!

Chet Atkins & Jerry Reed -
In Concert At The Bottom Line

+1 on Third Man. Weird and wonderful

Grisman/Garcia is a treat.

• Members

I saw Crazy Heart on the big screen -- one of the very few I've seen that way in years. Got me GASsing for a J45. :thu:

Pete Seeger doc reminded me of this ... (and I need to see that Bela Fleck one) ...

g06020.jpg

KATMAN, I've always been curious about Keaggy. Thx.

• Members

I second the Three Pickers disc--I've recently added the incredible "What Would You Give in Exchange for Your Soul" to the set list, and it's terrifying to see Doc Watson mouthing his guitar solos while staring at nothing with his dead eyes.

I'd also go for the "Classic Albums" series and that Elvis Costello series, "Spectacle", tho neither is strictly acoustic.

• Members

The best concert DVD I've ever seen is Doug MacLeod's The Blues in Me. He plays an intimate set in a little town he can't pronounce the name of. Killer playing and singing (even though he's getting over a cold). It's got an absolutely riveting version of the New Panama Limited as well as the standard National fueled Doug tunes.

Archived