How much is this guitar worth ? (Vintage Harmony content)

Mackin

• Members

Hello,

A guy 30 minutes away from my house is selling this guitar :

dsc04174b.jpg

I have no idea how much these are worth and I would like your advice on the guitar's value. Thank you for reading !

- Mackin

• Members

I believe these guitars were sold primarily by Sears back in the day (60's & 70's). Cool vintage look, not so great tone. Check the neck really well to ensure that it doesn't need a reset. A neck reset could cost more than the guitar itself.

• Members

Those are not the original tuners on the guitar in the picture...

That being said, I know a guy who payed $65 for one at a garage sale a few years back. It's in excellent condition and has an adjustable archtop bridge. It doesn't seem to need a neck reset but my buddy likes a high action. If it were mine I'd lower the adjustable bridge a tad. I have to admit his is quite loud and is perfect for that volume and tone required to play that type of swing rhythm needed for a big band. It is a killer guitar for that gypsy jazz tone too. It's also a wicked slide guitar. I believe they were made from solid birch. If you find a good one thay can be pretty cool.

• Members

Thanks to everybody for the information ! I am going to try it out sometime this week so I'll report back with my thoughts an observations. The ad for the guitar says 225 $ (Canadian dollars)... so we'll see if the guitar delivers and isn't beat up.

• Members

Good find! Have fun with it. I just noticed the bridge. Mine has the adjustable archtop type bridge. Is that a bone saddle by any chance?

I don't think so but I can't guarantee if it's the original bridge. If I hold on onto the guitar, I could always make one now that I have the tools.

• Members

I hate the tiny frets that usually go along with those and sometimes the necks can be wonky...but they can be fun to convert to slide guitar or even electrify.

You might want to use some walnut or linseed oil on the fingerboard. It looks really dried out.

• Members

I hate the tiny frets that usually go along with those and sometimes the necks can be wonky...but they can be fun to convert to slide guitar or even electrify.

You might want to use some walnut or linseed oil on the fingerboard. It looks really dried out.

Frets aren't that bad actually ! I'd say around medium gauge... they are in no way tiny like I've seen before on my friend's Silvertone electric. The neck is fat but I like em' that way.

:thu: +1 about electrifying it. Previous owner installed a pickup inside but plugged in my Marshall, it sounds terrible. Like having the treble around 1000 with no bass or mids. I have a few single coil pickups from a strat copy laying around... those might sound OK.

And yes, next time I change the strings on it I'll oil the fretboard.

Thanks again for the information everybody !

• 9 years later...
  • Moderators

It is a Chinese Harmony, and you recently acquired it, so frankly, it is 'worth' whatever you paid for it.

Do you have a serial number? That would help in trying to figure out the year.  Have a look here

It will not have accumulated any 'mojo' value, and the newer Harmony acoustic guitars are not exactly collectible or very 'desireable'. Even the older Harmony/Stella acoustics, aside from the 'nostalgia factor', generally don't fetch prices above $2-300 unless they are mint in the original box...

Archived