B.C. Rich acoustic question

greystoke 2

• Members

Any quick info on a B.C. Rich acoustic - to wit: Mod. BW 1000?

Very nice sound, mahogany back and sides, spruce top, ebony fretboard - basic looking. The sticker in sound hole says B.C. Rich, Handmade Guitars since 1930 w/ser.# and Model [bW 1000]. Are these U.S. made? Either way I'd be grateful for any info given.

Greystoke

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

You should try checking out their website and phoning your local B.C. Rich dealer. I know that they are asweet guitar. I heard that the ones made where you and i live, (canada) suck. They are not near the quality of the ones made in the USA. I dont know how true this is for the acoustics. Hopefully u find this helpful

fret_crawler

• Members

BC Rich which was started in East LA by Bernardo Rico and specialized in making quality acoustic instruments. They quit making acoustics sometime in the 80's. Now BC Rich only makes electric, strange shaped quitars and a few acoustic/electrics.

Here's a link to the history of BC Rich.

http://www.vguitar.com/brands/details.asp?ID=58

• Members

D.W. K Your'e mistaken 'bout "B.C. Rich" ACOUSTICS not currently being produced. Around mid'80s the Co. began importing licensed models after moving to El Monte Calif. from L.A. - These were 1st from Japan and then from Korea under the NJ designation. He sold his design licenses in '89 to Class Axe and they started producing U.S. built inst.s in N.J. besides importing the NJ, Platinum and Rave series. The budget inst.s started showing a marked drop in quality; so in '94, Rico came out of semi-retirement, took back control of his trademark and with Bill Shapiro started to get the quality back. He's building high-end acoustics and electrics again in Hesperia, Calif. while his partner monitors the import quality in San Bernadino. All this info I learned while [still] trying to find the answer to the"elusive" BW 1000 Question!

Greystoke

• Members

Hi Greystoke

You're right, according to that article on BC Rich in Vintage Guitar, Bernie supposedly started making acoustics again in the 90's. But where are they? I couldn't find any acoustics on the BC Rich website. Is he maybe making acoustics under a different name?

If he is I'd like to sure check them out. I'm looking for a new acoustic and I have a BC Rich that I bought personally from Bernie when he was making only acoustics at his shop in East LA in the 70's. They were excellent guitars at reasonable pricing.

DW

• Members

10-4 D.W.! Where are they indeed? Instead of cheesy mass produced guitar articles in Pub.s such as Vintage Guitar, quality - [and I mean quality] little "known about" lines of inst.s such as these should be investigated. My older [3rd] Edition "Blue Book Of Guitars" gives B.C. Rich acoustic models such as B30-D,B35-D/C,B41-C/D - all U.S. made; prices for "Mint" - 1500.00 - 2700.00 range ca. '95! Not shabby eh? Of course price is 'ephemeral'. I'd like to include mine in that company of course but the pesky ? is -What the heck is mine and what's up with that label? If you're ameniable D.W. , I could email you my jpeg images of my BW1000 including a label shot [2] and perhaps you could post it for me. I do know how to send attachments. Don't worry, I hav'nt any agenda except to rid myself of this annoying issue.

greystoke:confused:

• 6 years later...
  • Members

i also have a b.c. rich acoustic sounds the same as greystroke? the looks are the same as his, but my sticker inside says B.C. Rich handcrafted since 1930?? i got this guitar used from my aunt when i was 14...i am now 50??..also no serial number just model # BW-1000?? any help would surely be appreciated ..thanks in advance...randy ontario canda

• Members

lol...good one guitarist 21 lol...i am extremely patient, and i guess i can wait another 7 years til someone hopefully replies about the history of this guitar..i own a bunch more, but i got it from a lady who was cool when i was just a kid....so for now i have to go back to knowing what i know...when i play the damn thing..and as all guitar players silently ponder....the chicks dig it ..lol...end of story..

• 6 months later...
  • Members

Anyways, new to the forum, but I decided to share a bit of knowledge if anyone cares.

To answer the OP's question: No, it is not USA made. Any model with the prefix BW or RW is an import. RW's from Japan (and made of rosewood, hence the RW), and BW's being either Japanese or Korean (Although I'm not sure if the BW is supposed tell the dominant wood in these).

On another note, there's an BW-4000CS (not sure what the cs stands for though) for sale in my area, and if the pics don't lie it is in very good condition considering age. $400 canadian...deal or no deal?

For everyone who wanted to see label shots or anything, it should all be here on the classifieds listing:

http://www.nlclassifieds.com/classifieds/Music/Guitars/438453

Sorry for bringing back this ancient thread, but it had a couple recent-ish posts.

• 10 years later...

Archived