Repairing a Gibson acoustic 12-string with a crushed top

meandi

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wrapped some aluminum foil around some paint sticks to reflect the heat away from the top adjacent to the bridge.

crushtop13.jpg

Warm & probe, warm & probe.

crushtop15.jpg

Someone loves this guitar, it's been played a lot.:love:

crushtop14.jpg

The fracture extended under the bridge & the wood is somewhat splintered on either side of the impact area.

This one didn't come off as cleanly as some do.

crushtop16.jpg

• Members

These are the anchors for the saddle adjustment screw on the bridge.

crushtop17.jpg

I'm going to encourage the guy who owns it to go with a bone saddle as it goes back together, like I did on this guy's alvarez which also originally had an adjustable saddle.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2537048

db3.jpg

Impact area is just in front of the bridge location.

Pretty splintered up & spongy.

crushtop18.jpg

• Members

I'm going to encourage the guy who owns it to go with a bone saddle as it goes back together, like I did on this guy's alvarez which also originally had an adjustable saddle.

Yea those cheezy adjustable plastic saddles can really suck tone.

Basically they act like a "shock absorber" keeping the vibrations from trasferring to the top. Replacing the whole thing with something hard and solid can really transform a guitar's sound.

Incidentally, there's that exact same model Gibson 12 in the local Fort Myers Guitar Center here in SW Florida. It sounds fantastic with lots of bass and projection for such a small guitar....It needs a neck reset (the plastic adjustable bridge has long been removed in favor of an almost non-existant standard one. But the action is still kind of high. Still it had that great sound so I tried to talk them down to $900 for the guitar. I argued that I'd have to pay $300 for the neck reset (really I was going to do it myself)...but they would only come down to $1,000.. and do I really need another guitar anyway? But I took comfort in the fact that it's been there 2 years and no one has bought it.

Still it really opened my eyes to how much bass and projection a small guitar can put out. And that's really what I look for in a 12 string. Bass, bass and more bass.

Also it's interesting that the saddle sits right on top of the spruce without a floor of rosewood at the bottom of the saddle slot. Maybe THAT's the secret.

• Members

Interestingly enough, & I was kinda surprised when I noticed it not being plastic, the saddle on this one is mahogany...matches the bridge perfectly.

I've always kinda wondered why more saddles aren't on the spruce.

Would seem that it would get the tone right in the top more quickly...no bridge to top glue line to go through...

• Members

Hope you're keeping well meandi??

Nice to see another of your works - ever so interesting!!!

Do you think the bridge will glue right back? Are all the splinters still attached to the bridge? Glueing it should make it stronger, shouldn't it???

Getting the bridge plate properly reset, with full contact to the top is the most important thing as far as restoring strength is concerned.

Then I can saturate the splintered fibers with glue when the bridge goes back on to reintroduce some stiffness to that area as well.

Glue is not acceptable for filling voids, or as a structural agent, especially in an area that carries the loads that, that part of the top carries.

• Members

Aside from the splinters from the top that are still attached to the bridge, it's not totaly straight across the bottom.

Specifically on the ends where they have taken an up-curled set.

I'm going to suspend the bridge above a boiling pot of water & let the steam soften the glue so I can slide the splinters off, with a sharp chisel, for re-use in the top.

Also this will re-hydrate & soften the fibers in the bridge wood & I'll clamp it to a strong straight block of maple to let it re-set itself in a straight configuration.

If this doesn't work completely, I'll have to mill it straight on the belt sander & possibly cut a very thin shim out of some rosewood that I have, in order to get it to the height it needs to be.

crushtop19.jpg

• Members

I usually use thin CA glue to tack down those "runnout fibers" that occur with a removed bridge. As for the bottom of the bridge not being flat, I usually don't worry about it and just clamp the thing down when it's in that direction...mainly because the force of the strings pull it in the opposite direction and a little curve there might make the bridge more resistant to the string pull deforming it.

As for that no-bottom bridge design. I had a Harmony once that had that and I replaced it with a rosewood bottom because I was installing an undersaddle pickup and needed that. I found the brightness and sustain increased slightly. The vibrations probably transmitted through the the rest of the bridge better that way.

• Members

Got it out & this is where it's at.

Retained all of the pieces.

crushtop20.jpg

The bridge plate does not cover the entirety of the bridge.

The back string mounting hole on the trebel side has no support...the string ball was seating against the top itself.

Several dry spots on the inside of the top, where no glue was present, as well.

crushtop21.jpg

If you look in the mirror itself, you can see where that same rear E string hole was drilled through the brace for at least 1/2 of its width.

Guess I coulda cleaned my mirror before that shot. :freak:

crushtop22.jpg

• Members

That is one big, honkin bridge plate. These pics are great; thanks, meandi. Looking forward to the rest of them.

Yes it is quite large.

Two sets of strings...spreading the loads to a greater area.

Glad you like the pics. I actually enjoy shooting & writing the threads, almost as much as I enjoy doing the work...almost.:lol:

• Members

Excellent thread as always Meandi, fascinating to see your work.

One of the many things I've learned from your threads is that no matter what happens to a guitar, it CAN be fixed :thu:

EDIT: And Guitarcapo as well. Interesting stuff :thu: And yes that looks like a laminate top to me too :eek:

• Members

Excellent thread as always Meandi, fascinating to see your work.

One of the many things I've learned from your threads is that no matter what happens to a guitar, it CAN be fixed
:thu:

EDIT: And Guitarcapo as well. Interesting stuff
:thu:
And yes that looks like a laminate top to me too
:eek:

Thanks Jimmy, nice to see you again!:wave:

In spite of their delicate nature, they seem to be tougher than we give credit for, at times, I think.

Archived