Sign in to follow this  
DaveGrima

YAMAHA FG 512. .Whats it worth?

Found one of these in a pawnshop for $200. Late 70/s early 80's model. Looks like it needs a new nut. Sounded nice with only 6 strings installed. I wanna make an offer. Anyone know what these are worth? Thanks.

yamahaAC12%20string.jpg

Wow this forum is slow huh? Im used to HCEG haha. . . Anyway, I think its a good deal. ill probably pick it up tomorrow. Havent had an acoustic in a while and Ive never owned a 12 string. :idea:

It looks great in the photo. If it's in very good to excellent condition with a healthy neck, it's worth $200. If the pawn shop is asking $200, you should be able to do a bit better. Good luck.

SPECIFICATIONS:

Yamaha FG512

Year(s) Sold: 1977-81

Original MSRP(US$): $270.00

Top: Spruce

Back / Sides: Rosewood

Neck: Mahogany

Fingerboard: Indian Rosewood

Notes: 12 String Slot Head

I bought an FG-260 (earlier slot head 12) a couple of years ago for 175.00, so I'd say that it's probably right in the ballpark for value. Should be a great player.

I once bought an old FG260 12 string off ebay. Had a bowed neck, terrible action and was basically unplayable. But if you've checked it out and it's in excellent condition, $200 seems reasonable.

It looks great in the photo. If it's in very good to excellent condition with a healthy neck, it's worth $200. If the pawn shop is asking $200, you should be able to do a bit better. Good luck.

SPECIFICATIONS:

Yamaha FG512

Year(s) Sold: 1977-81

Original MSRP(US$): $270.00

Top: Spruce

Back / Sides: Rosewood

Neck: Mahogany

Fingerboard: Indian Rosewood

Notes: 12 String Slot Head

Yeah thats just a photo of one I found on Google. Its in good shape tho. Thanks for the specs. $270 in late 70's money would be like , what? $500 today? Im gonna offer 150 out the door Since it needs a new nut and its missing strings. . haha.,