Norman st-40 . . . good beater?

Heartstring

• Members

You have a digital camera with a USB connector to your Mac? Connect the camera to the computer, iPhoto will likely start up. If it asks you to import the photos, do so. Then export them back onto your desktop, and from a web-based photo server, enter the given url for the pictures into the yellow pictogram in 'reply' of the mountains with the sun.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There--pics! :wave:

Thanks, Misha! The strings are really not that bad. :eek: I kinda like old strings, but I'll get ambitious and restring it soon.

I was looking at the nut and thinking how odd it looked and then it dawned on me--it is bone! First guit I've ever had with a real bone nut-- in 31 years! :lol:

Cheers!

• Members

Congrats! that is a beauty and in very good condition for it's age. It even has the older Norman label inside as well. I believe "demo" means it could have been a floor model somewhere. Normans are really underated in terms of exposure in the USA. I am surprised to see one down there. Very nice. :thu:

• Members

I've owned a Godin that was a prototype. There was a sticker on the back stating "prototype".

It was a Godin LG HMB. The difference between mine and the regular LGs: the binding was made of real wood! They didn't go that route with the mass produced LGs to reduce the costs!

The owner (and technician) where I love to shop, used to work for Godin. I'm gonna send him an Email and show him the pictures of the Norman. Maybe he'll be able to tell us what "Demo" means exactly!

• Members

Well, I just called the technician because they aren't computer guys and it could have been long waiting for a reply to an email.

He said the guit has probably been made in the '80s and "Demo" should mean "SF". ("SF" on current Seagull products means "second factory". Those guits have minor cosmetic flaws that don't affect the sound at all!)

He said 150$ was a very good deal!

He also said that you could pass at the shop to show him your guit and maybe get a pro set-up... Humm... (I forgot to tell him you were probably not in the same country! I told him you were a friend of mine!) :whisper:

He sells his "SF" ST-40s for around 400$ CAD + txes (13%)

• Members

There is a paper label with a number in the back of the neck. Maybe the dealer put it there. In case anyone knows how to decipher it for me, it is:

ANO40D 1

95-456085

I forgot: the tech said it was the serial number!

• Members

First of all, thanks to everyone for the great info and good wishes.

Re: the "DEMO" stamp--I find it hard to imagine that the maker would put out an instrument as a demonstrator that wasn't the best they could offer to represent the line in every respect.

I am very happy with my fortuitous acquisition of this "DEMO!" :)

• Members

You know what, Godin products (Seagull, Art & Lutherie, Norman, Simon & Patrick, La Patrie, [one more that I forgot the name!]) with "SF" on the sticker are often VERY GOOD deals! They just have small cosmetic flaws that are often very hard to find and that don't affect the sound at all.

I've had two in the past. One had a little scratche on the back. The other one a spot of the size of a dime, also on the back, was a bit more pale... They both sounded very good and were a bit cheaper than their "Non SF" conterpart version!

I saw a S6 "SF" once that sounded really, really good. The rosette was a bit pale oterwise, it was perfect! It sounded killer! So, no worries to have about a "SF" version from Godin.

Anyway, most brands don't take the time to put a sticker on their products stating that they saw a cosmetic flaw before it left the factory. It's all good in my book!

• Members

) with "SF" on the sticker are often VERY GOOD deals! They just have small cosmetic flaws that are often very hard to find and that don't affect the sound at all.

I've had two in the past. One had a little scratche on the back. The other one a spot of the size of a dime, also on the back, was a bit more pale... They both sounded very good and were a bit cheaper than their "Non SF" conterpart version!

I saw a S6 "SF" once that sounded really, really good. The rosette was a bit pale oterwise, it was perfect! It sounded killer! So, no worries to have about a "SF" version from Godin.

Anyway, most brands don't take the time to put a sticker on their products stating that they saw a cosmetic flaw before it left the factory. It's all good in my book!

Hi Misha,

Not to belabor the point, but my instinct tells me had this guitar been a "SF" it would have been marked so. I really think "DEMO" means something else. I'm not trying to impugn your sources, but he could be mistaken, just as I could. It's really not that big a deal! Maybe someone can tell us definitively soon!

Cheers! :wave:

Archived