Anyone try Newtone strings?

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

I'm curious about Newtone phosphor bronze strings. In several reviews I've read I've heard people say that they sound like D'addario PB's, except a little better to a lot better. So far D'addario PB's are my favorite string, so this is a good thing. I'm just wondering if they sound good enough to justify the extra cost. Anyone here have any experience with them?

• Members

I've done more than just try them once or twice; I use them on a regular basis.

I'm sold on the Masterclass medium gauge round-core double-wound phosphor-bronze strings, for both of my acoustics, for several reasons. They fret easier than hex core strings, and are far less noisy, due to the greater mass of the strings, and tighter wraps. They have a strong fundamental tone, with unusual warmth and clarity in the mid and lower registers. Finally, the lifespan of the strings is superb, even for those with acidic sweat, which is sufficient justification for the price point, IMHO.

I think the double-wound strings are superior to the standard Masterclass PB strings.

If I had to rank the brands of strings that I've played in the past that I liked the most, the Newtone strings would be number one, with John Pearse medium gauge PB strings being second, and the D'Addario PB coming in third.

... JT

• Members

They sound familiar for some reason. I think someone around here uses them and likes them, but if I post a name, it'll inevitably be the wrong one :facepalm:.

If you're looking for something that sounds similar to D'Addario PBs, John Pearse strings are supposed fit the bill. Rumor has it that they're just rebranded D'Addarios anyway. I'm not sure if there's any credence to that, but I've got a set on my Ovation right now and they're decent. Probably on par with the D'Addarios . . . maybe a hair better.

• Members

If you're looking for something that sounds similar to D'Addario PBs, John Pearse strings are supposed fit the bill. Rumor has it that they're just rebranded D'Addarios anyway. I'm not sure if there's any credence to that, but I've got a set on my Ovation right now and they're decent. Probably on par with the D'Addarios . . . maybe a hair better.

I tried John Pearse strings, and while they were one of the few strings I liked enough to leave on until they wore out, I still liked the D'addario better.

• Members

The Newtone Master Class PBs absolutely transformed my Martin D-18GE. Funny thing is that they totally lost that georgous woody depth on my D-18 Authentic. The Authentic still sounds best - to me, anyway - with what the factory puts on them, Martin's cheapo M550 PBs. Far as cost goes, the Newtones last about twice as long as Martin strings so the cost is about even and I think that playing around with new strings (and picks, too) is a great way to reduce GAS...

MM

• 9 years later...
  • Members

I love Newtone double-wound phosphor-bronze strings & have used them for many years on my '48 mahogany/spruce D-18 (my birth year) and custom-made acoustics (currently a '94 Bourgeois OM cutaway, a '94 Bourgeois Jumbo & a recently completed Dudenbostel '33/34 Martin D-28 clone with salvaged Braz Rosewood & Adirondack Spruce (!!!) - in 40 years of maturing, my grandkid is going to have a helluva guitar). My favorite electrics are my treasured '64 Sunburst Strat, bought new, & my newer Strat with Lindy Fralin hand-wound  HSS Vintage Hots with a split-coil Unbucker bridge pickup & the blender option for the middle position switch as well as push-pull different cap volume pots. I use d'Addario NYXLs when I want super-bright & Fender bullets on the '64 Strat for the traditional sound with a tube Twin Reverb, but Newtone light-gauge strings sound & play great on electrics. I've also been known to use Ernie Ball Slinky's  (I don't like coated strings like the Paradigms), which are damn good for the price, when I am just playing a lot for myself.

Archived