VOM 32 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, September 12, 2010

Stackabones

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Absentee Postings

Verence Comments:

Recorded when fairly drunk. First time figuring out the song, too, so pretty sloppy.
:D

Absentee Post from:
Verence

Title:
From The Morning

Credits:
Nick Drake

Absentee Post from: chriscarnucci

Title: Stay Here With Me

Credits: Christian Carnucci

Click to Listen

chriscarnucci Comments:

Hey everyone,

This VOM fell on the same week as my vacation, so while your watching this submission I 'm hanging out in Va Beach! Hopefully I'm actually at the beach catching some waves! :)

I didn't want to miss this month so I threw this together pretty quick. I wrote the song in August, but I recorded and made the video in a few hours here on Sept. 4th.

This song fortunately has nothing to do with my life, but I seem to have been hearing about a lot of marriages going through some rough patches lately and it got my imagination going.

I sure do look forward to these VOMs and I can't wait to hear what you all have in store for this month. So hope all is well and ...Surf's up dudes!

Stay Here With Me - Christian Carnucci

Verse 1:

If you had a chance to turn around,

on this path your heading down.

A way to somehow make a change,

and alter the life your living now.

Verse 2:

Would you choose to leave this all behind.

Would you stay and tow the line.

Is your life the way it

• Members

One more absentee posting

Absentee Post from:
DeepEnd

Title:
Pods in the Basement (Demons in Disguise)

Credits:
Original

Click to Listen

in the Basement (Demons in Disguise)
[/size]

DeepEnd Comments:

Terry Allan Hall and I both mentioned 'filk' in a recent thread. I'll be attending the regional SF convention, Archon, next month so I thought I'd share an original filk. Oddly enough, it was originally conceived as Country but I think its heart is squarely in filk territory. There were some recording glitches so I'm including the lyrics.

Pods in the Basement

(Demons in Disguise)

Pods in the basement, demons in disguise

Coffin in the bedroom. Now I realize.

You gave my life such an evil twist,

I

• Members

WooHoo! Another VOM is upon us... Looking forward to checking out this month's submissions :)

Title: Deadman's Gun

Originally By: Ashtar Command

Sooo... my submission this month combines two of my favorite pass-times: Playing guitar and video games. After sinking way too many hours into a title called Red Dead Redemption, I finally beat the game. As the credits rolled, I was greeted with, in my opinion, the perfect song to to wrap up the adventure. Granted, I've never heard of the 2-person indie band let alone the song. Nor is the song very complicated musically or lyrically, but, as I listened, I thought it was a very fitting way to conclude the game.

This is my interpretation of the tune. It's a bit shorter than the original (mostly because I think I play it faster), a bit simplified (we're VOM1T, no multi-track recording this time around), and you have to put up with my singing and lyrical errors ;) I'm mostly happy with the final video although, I really need to figure out a better way to mix my guitar and vocals with my inexpensive recording setup.

[YOUTUBE]O54np0dvSPY[/YOUTUBE]

Anyways, here's hoping you enjoy the tune! Oh, and if you happen to be interested in video games, you owe it to yourself to at least go out and rent the game. In my opinion, it's the best game I've purchased this year.

• Members

[YOUTUBE]QCdJ8UHuTzw[/YOUTUBE]

I love Patsy Cline's version of this, and Jason Wade did a not-so-awful cover not long ago for the Shrek soundtrack. I decided to take some creative liberties and combine my favorite aspects of both performances.

Can't wait to see everyone's performances!

• Members

Here is my contribution. I am playing a song I wrote a few years ago for my wife. It is titled "Hey Girl".

I am playing a KoAloha soprano ukulele with a tenor-scale neck. I briefly mention some points about the uke at the start of the video.

Hey Girl

music & lyrics by Michael W. Maguire

Hey girl, can't ya see?

what it is that you mean to me?

I knew I had to tell you so I wrote this song.

Hey girl, isn't it grand

when we're together walkin' hand-in-hand

Ya know I've felt this way, baby, for so long.

Hey girl, don't ya know?

I'd take you anywhere you wanna go.

Spending time with you really makes my day.

Hey girl, can't you tell?

You have me hooked, I'm under your spell,

underneath the stars walkin' by the bay.

--- doowahs ---

Hey girl, remember the date.

We had lunch down by the Golden Gate.

I told you, girl, I loved you with all my heart.

Hey girl, what did you say?

as we walked together by the bay,

You said you fell in love at the very start.

Hey girl, remember the day.

as we walked together by the bay,

You said you fell in love at the very start.

oh, you fell in love at the very start...

hummmm...

• Members

This is my submission for this month. This is from my busking gig at the Art-Tiques show in Crestline, Ca last weekend. I am playing my Guild Jumbo thru a Behringer amp. Recorded with my Zoom H2, street noise and all!

Song: Let The Mystery Be

Credit: Iris Dement

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php?p=play&id=Starrshine/Let_the_mystery_be.mp3

Bob

• Members

This is a brand new song I just recorded the other night.

My lyricist friend and collaborator sent me lyrics about his hometown of Corpus Christi, TX and asked me to make a song.

I rearranged and added some here and there but its about 90% his lyrics and 10% my changes. Then I made it into a song.

At first I was a little reluctant because the song is about a place I've never been to.

But after I got into it I realized that since I was brought up in a small coastal town in California I could really relate to the lyrics.

The beach, ocean, sunrise, fog, kites, Love, sailboats, bonfires, great people...it's all there just like I remember about my hometown too.

So here's our new song with Words by Howard C. Holbert and Music by me:

http://gilsmusic.bandcamp.com/track/corpus-christi

• Members

Masterbuilt - I'm jealous of your video & sound quality. Plus, you seem so relaxed & professional doing this.

QQ - I'm jealous of your arch-top.

Melodeous - your guitar sounds awesome.

Deep-end, I like the song. I like the chords, the arrangement & the idea.

GTR21: I love that song too. My favorite versions are by the Duprees & second, I like Jerry Lee Lewis' version.

Chris Carnucci - I like your lyrics & your voice.

I haven't listened to the others yet. I'll post when I do.

My contribution. It's another one of my Jobim/Ogermann-style compositions.

(I think I'm gonna stop VOMITING on video. I hate how I look. Plus, I still don't

have this music video thing down.)

Original composition, 'Bossa Baria' ('How Much You Mean to Me)

• Members

A song I wrote awhile back and recently recorded. Lyrically, it's one part coherent (to me anyway) and three parts stream-of-consciousness. Recorded into an AT2020 mike and a Fostex VF80 recorder. 6 tracks: Gibson Hummingbird (2), Harmony mando, tambo (2), and vocal track. Belatedly noticed some clipping on the vocals here and there--sorry about that.

http://www.box.net/shared/hgzn436pah

Dramaturgy

• Members

Lots of absentee submissions...

Chris, nice tune, good accompanying image. Well sung.

QQ - nice git. I couldn't read the headstock, what is it... sounds great.

Rhancox, very nice guitar work, you do sound like Clapton vocally.

Melodeous- wow, the Goodall sounds great!

Garthman & TBryson - both classic tunes.

Fendouglas - this reminds me of Lightfoot

Git21 - nice picking

Stack - the git sounds good, somewhat haunting

Gil - I do love that melody. Works well with the lyrics

E.R. nice orchestration, tasteful guitar.

Michael - cheerful little ditty, eh?

Just a simple little original ditty.

[YOUTUBE]hQRAtfBLFgA[/YOUTUBE]

Dancing Alone Together

"As You laid your head upon my chest while we danced I imagined you could hear my heart beat. I felt my blood pulse through my chest and up to my head as we danced across the floor.

I rested my lips on the top of your head and we swayed slowly? from side to side.

Did you feel what I felt or were we just 2 people alone together on the floor."

It's a series of three one takes played in one flat... mine! :o

• Members

New York Elusive: Good Pie

Good Morning. Had to tell this story about the best live performance I've seen in awhile. Would love to get this guy on VOM, but I'm sure he's too busy riding the subways of New York. I don't even know his name.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=908060&songID=9581774

Prolly breakin' all sorts of VOM rules, but an open mic is an open mic.....take care.....(redskins are punks).....pg

• Members

Another VOM is here. This a song that I wrote a couple of weeks ago. The title is Devils Lightening. Needless to say it's not one of my more "introspective" pieces. I know that I get off timing a touch right at the end for a couple of chords, that was due to my right shoulder starting to cramp for some reason. Old age sure ain't what they said it was going to be in the manual. But anyways, so sit back and enjoy.

Tony

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Vernece...That was cool and different.

ChrisC...Beautiful recording. Great vocals and good writing.

Queeqeeg...Nice guitar and cover of S and G.

rhancox...Wow, that was great!. One of the best I have heard. The recording singing and playing were all great!

melodious...I love that song and recording...top notch work. I can tell you have put in a lot of time .

garthman...Another good one...nice work.

Fendouglas...Nice, has an old traditional sound.

DeepEnd...That was different.:)

Fussenkuh...Good. Your getting more comfortable with playing and singing.

guitarist21...I was waiting for you to start singing! Great playing. Nice guitar story.

Stack...Cool and different.

masterbilt...Beautiful Uke. Great playing.

Great job this time...there were some really exceptional pieces this month. Will try to get to more asap.

• Members

more later....church, nfl, grandparents day, etc....

*Verence: the soberlessness of the performance added to the grittiness. Grab me a beer will ya?

*Chriscarnucci: you hit the notes without the weak self-pity often found in the i-want-you-back songs.

*queequeg: simon would love it, but garfunkel might just hunt you down and call you a beastly man.

*rhancox: liked the slowed down version of this song. Guitar sounds good.

*melodeous: the music fit the lyrics perfectly on this song

• Members

Song: Navajo Rug

Artist: Ian Tyson

Here's my submission for this month's VOM. It's a simple song by Canadian folk artist Ian Tyson. Probably better known by the Jerry Jeff Walker cover of it. I got to see Jerry Jeff just a few weeks ago. He's still going strong and he did play Navajo Rug.

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php?p=play&id=phoniclab/Navajo_Rug.mp3

• Members

Thank you to those who listened to my song this month. I am humbled by all of the talent here. It is an honor to be among you. I am not going to make a long repetitive list, but I've listened to all the submissions so far and I am suitable impressed. Good on all of youse.:thu::thu::thu:

• Members

Here's mine. I didn't have a project going so I just dug back in my mind and thought up something to do. I finished recording it about 10 minutes ago. It's a one-taker and has a little bit of SonitisFX reverb to help smooth out some of the mistakes a little.

It is a cover of Please Don't Bury Me by John Prine. I hope ya'll like it.

Yairi DY 48 and a Audio Technica AT2020 mic. RT1:thu:

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php?p=play&id=recordingtrack1/Please_Dont_Bury_Me.mp3

Now I can listen to everybody's stuff. Life is good!!!:)

• Members

Here's mine. I didn't have a project going so I just dug back in my mind and thought up something to do. I finished recording it about 10 minutes ago. It's a one-taker and has a little bit of SonitisFX reverb to help smooth out some of the mistakes a little.

It is a cover of
Please Don't Bury Me
by John Prine. I hope ya'll like it.

Yairi DY 48 and a Audio Technica AT2020 mic. RT1:thu:

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php?p=play&id=recordingtrack1/Please_Dont_Bury_Me.mp3

Now I can listen to everybody's stuff. Life is good!!!
:)

When I taught fly fishing for a living the other instructors used to sing a lot of John Prine tunes, including this one. Thanks for the memories.

Archived