My neighbour is complaining too much about my electric guitar...

EADGBE

• Members

It's pretty low now. I can barely hear it as it is. It's a new neighbor.

Judging by your post in my thread I would assume you were some well off, super knowledgeable player. Shame on you for chastising! I will however be very interested in providing some advice and let bygones be bygones...Or, you can throw the tried and true: "Tit's or gtfo"..:lol:

Personally, I'd consider when you're playing more than turning it down.

What style are you playing?

Have you played a 12 string before?

What ultimately are you doing?

Playing for yourself?

Gearing up for writing some songs?

Whats your intent?

• Members

There is more litigation over noise and bounderies than anything else in the world. Mostly unnesessary. You dont want to get into that.

Get a friend to play your guitar go round to your neighbours house with a bottle of wine and phone home to turn down enough until neighbour is happy.

• Members

If you electric is turned down to the point where you can barley hear it then a good acoustic will be just as loud. You could try to sound proof the room that you play in or just use headphones when you play(not the same thing as open air play but hey, you do what you have to do) or maybe see if your neighbor plays something and invite them to sit in and jam with you. That way they'll be making noise too so they can't complain about it.

• Members

You are not turned down to where you can barely hear it. A television or stereo... or even a lot of conversation is louder than that.

Getting an acoustic is not gonna fix the problem.

Maybe you can find another location in the house/apartment where the neighbor won't complain.

Maybe you can hang up some blankets on the walls so the sound doesn't get out so bad.

Beyond that, it's headphones... or move.

• Members

heavy drapes on the windows.

fabric or foam on the walls.

carpet on the floor.

don't play after 10:00pm.

and if that doesn't do it, get the headphones, as GuitarVlog suggested.

visit said neighbor (with a bottle of wine in hand as recommended by fretplay) and find out when they work and determine if it is the volume or perhaps the style. I could tolerate some kinds of music more easily than others. I would have a pretty low threshold for metal or punk or rap, or anything involving power chords which would thump through the walls with a heavy bass resonance. Remember, the sound is filtered through the walls or ceiling and sounds nothing like it does in the room where it is being played.

• Members

Tell him you'll turn it down, if he mows your lawn.

:lol: ^^ :)

Ive been through staying in flats /apartments as USA people call them

with noisy neighbours these flats should be all made soundproof anyhow

certainly would stop neighbourly arguements

Love Thy Neighbour :) was a program in UK yrs back :lol:

• Members

You need a smaller amp to use when your neighbor is home. You can play a small amp at the same volume level as your TV - does he complain about you watching TV? No, he's complaining about your guitar. Chances are that you are playing it louder than you think because you are used to cranking it up.

I have bad news for you. Acoustic guitars can drown out the TV - they can get pretty loud, especially if you play aggressively. Your neighbor will have no problem hearing your acoustic guitar. Electric players misjudge the power of the acoustic guitar. They are designed to project. Many acoustic players play electric guitars through head phones or through a small amp at night to avoid waking their family members and or the neighbors. Yes - acoustic guys turn to the electric guitar when they want to be mellow. I {censored} you not.

12 string? A good 6 string acoustic will inspire you and will be easier to play. Your fingers will thank you.

• Members

Talk to your neighbor and find out the nature of the noise problem with him. Either lower volume, sound insulation on walls or draperies will all help. It might be that he can't stand your playing. If that's the case, nothing you do will make him happy short of soundproofing the room completely or moving your playing to another room.

BigAl :)

• Members

Try turning it down first. I've lived in my apt. for close to 14 years and never had a complaint.

It goes also by what kind eh Neighbour/s you have ?

Are they elderly ? maybe half -deaf even ?

or are they also young noisy and just put up with such also ?

But i wouldnt wanna listen to some noisy-elec guitar even if the guitarist

is a very gd elec-guitar player.. either staying below or above me fir sure..

Poster keep the "PEACE" and WHY an amp in a flat-apartment with elec-guitar ? :thu: Best with 6 string acoustic guitar ..

• Members

Quite an easy problem to solve really....

Get a 100 watt marshall stack

Face it TOWARDS the complaining neighbor's apartment

Turn volume to 10 (or 11 if you have the Tufnell model)

Play something like "Smoke on the Water" for about 8 hours (or until the cops kick your door down)

When your neighbor confronts you, apologize profusely and offer to just play your 12 string acoustic in future.

It's all relative :)

[Disclaimer: The above method is not recommended if your neighbor is huge, mentally unstable, armed OR any combination of the aforementioned]

Archived