VOM 34 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, November 14, 2010

Stackabones

• Members

Absentee Postings

Absentee Post from: Michael_Martin

Title: Hell to Pay

Credits: Michael Martin

Michael_Martin Comments:

On the road--in fact, wilderness camping on Horn Island MS during VOM this month. So not a brand new recording, but one written and recorded earlier this year. A rare thing for me to rely mainly on electric guitar (MexiStrat) with acoustic tracks (Gibson Hummingbird) backing. Also a tambo track. All into AT2020 mike and Fostex VF80 recorder.

Lyrics:

Hell to Pay

• Members

tbryson: Cool, rollicky. Good story. Just so happens I'm in an Arkansas motel at this moment, heading back a day early from MS. So is that you on all tracks? And did you write the music for Jake Tyree's lyrics?

garthman: Sweet little song. Have never heard it before, and only vaguely recall a band named Love--very much enjoy your arrangement, which I'm guessing is very different from a mid-sixties band's take. Interesting and unexpected end note. And funny coincidence that we both use a Strat this time!

fendouglas: As always, your vocals very haunting and alluring--perfect for a soldier song. There is a mystery/sadness to your Englishy-folky numbers that is very distinctive. Dense mood and atmosphere in your work.

jtarbet2: Great song. I love it too. I tried to play it way back when, when it was new--gave up long ago! Excellent job on the guitar part, and you get a bit of that JT North Carolinian twang in there on the vocals as well. And looky there, yet another Strat makes an appearance! :cool:

more later...I hope...hitting the road back to IA at 6am.

• Members

So far...

MM...Nice vocals and recording. The lyric is always different and from a different POV. Good hook too!

garthman...The guitar sounded great. Nice one take!!

Fendouglas...What a great soldier song!! Had never heard it before but it has real meaning behind it.

jtarbet2...Wow!...Great playing and singing. Nice video too!

Mrmoe...beautiful.

MICHEAL MARTIN...Jake wrote the lyric but he does not know how to play. I was trying to get him to buy a cheap guitar and start learning and harping on him so much he said "You do it T"...so I did this. The track was live with me playing my Taylor guitar miced' and singing. I then had another internet guy add the bass and drum for a nominal fee since I can't do it all. I did write the music though.

• Members

Great song. Mr. M. Your guitar sounds great--really like your fingerstyle style. And of course vocals really strong, as always, well-balanced with the guitar. Where is this that you're playing--an art gallery? A library? Always cool to see a VOM entry from an actual gig.

• Members

My submission this month is an original that I have been working on recently. This a one take, but not necessarily the final version. Played on my Guild GADJF-30 and recorded on H2 Zoom

Raven's Flight

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php?p=play&id=Starrshine/Ravens_Flight.mp3

Up here in my mountains when the Santa Ana winds blow, they blow hard and cold. But the majestic ravens love it and take to the air in these 30-50mph winds and ride the currents above the bluff below my house. You can hardly stand to be outside in these blows, but I can sit in my living room and watch them from my window. The house creaks and the windows bulge and the ravens hang on effortlessly. It is the young ravens that fly in the flocks, once they pick their mate, for life, they fly in pairs.

Bob

• Members

Last month I posted the un-plugged rehearsal version of Junko and I doing Patti Smith's Dancing Barefoot. We've since performed it at our open mic and I'm pleased with the results. So I present to you the "combo" version with Chip Canty on bass and Ken Porter on percussion. The recording and mix is by Steve Friedman of Melville Park Studio, the open mic's resident recordist.

Interestingly, with the band live in front of an audience, this version has a little different vibe than the unplugged one. Which do you like better?

Dancing Barefoot

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=804016&songID=9872625

Thanks for listening.

Branson

• Members

g'morning....recorded a few things this past month, but couldn't find anything better than this...lg and miz a....rocker in my locker

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=908060&songID=9797719

there's a rocker in my locker

i'm going to mock her, i'm going to sock her

em

(repeat)

.....first recording after learning their first chord at their first guitar lesson. not sure about the english accents....very punk.

• Members

It's a work in progress. Dunno where it will end up.

Part of the melody sort of sounds like Elmer Bernstein's theme

to "The Magnificent Seven".

So I'll have to include an Elmer Bernstein riff in it & call it a variation

or else I'll need to change that part of the melody a bit.

My electric guitar playing really s*cks. But let me know how the guitars sound overall.

I-10 West

It's not nearly finished. It's my first composition with my new synth.

• Members

Greetings. Another month and another VOM. My song this month is entitled Angels Touch. Single take without even a practice run on it, of course that was after 1/2 hour of fighting with interfaces, mics and all the demons that just wait for an opportunity to run wild when you least need them to. But I got it sorted out.

As always I appreciate all the comments.

Tony

[YOUTUBE]-wFPVsOqn6A[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

My first. Like any rank amateur, I've been intimidated by the talent here but I'm taking the plunge. I'm not even sure I've done this right. :confused: I couldn't figure out registration for the VOM site, maybe someone could help me with that before next month.

It's a song I wrote several years ago that was inspired by a listing on ebay for an old Chevy Suburban. The ad went something like this: "Need to sell my Dad's old Suburban. I inherited it when he died. It doesn't run and I can't find the title." What struck me was a picture of the old gentleman standing by the car back in its prime.................. and now he's gone.

Just a Zoom H2 USB mic into the computer. The guitar is a Guild GAD-50.

Thanks for listening!

http://www.box.net/shared/tsj16roz1q

Well the old car that he left me

• Members

Looks like the VOM is already off to a fine start! As always, I'm looking forward to hearing some fine tunes as I listen throughout the coming week :)

My humble contribution:

Title: Back From Cali

Originally By: Slash

A track from Slash's new CD, the original features a man by the name of Myles Kennedy on vocals... of course, he's not singing vocals on my cover... no one is ;-) Had I not recently had a bit of oral surgery, I might have attempted to overdub some vocals. However, I'm thinking the song is probably better off without my "singing."

The song was constructed in two takes. Take one consists of the rhythm track while take two is my acoustic interpretation of the solo. It's a bit repetitive, but, I find it rather enjoyable to play. Hopefully, you'll find it enjoyable to listen to!

[YOUTUBE]RV5ttZ5tUc8[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Some more...

Starrshine...Nice moody music

Fretts99...Good ole Hank song.

Bransom...That was cool. Kinda The Animals or The Doors sound.

Fussenkuh...Do you learn these by ear? You pickup stuff fast and put it to use right away it seems. You have some skillz man!

Fastblueheeler...Man you did great!...Nice write...that was absolutley worthy of sharing. Great job. You did good!!

• Members

Song: Live Forever

Artist: Billy Joe Shaver

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php?p=play&id=phoniclab/Live_Forever.mp3

Here's my submission to the VOM this month. It's a song that was originally done by Billy Joe Shaver and his son Eddie Shaver. Eddie Shaver was perhaps the fastest guitarist I had ever heard. Unfortunately Eddie tragically lost his life to a heroin overdose at the age of 38.

Although the song has an easy chord pattern, the original song has a very beautiful picking pattern done by Eddie that I can't begin to play. I once saw Billy Joe in concert play the song and he said he couldn't pick it either. There's a cover of the song done by The Highwaymen as well.

• Members

Great song. Mr. M. Your guitar sounds great--really like your fingerstyle style. And of course vocals really strong, as always, well-balanced with the guitar. Where is this that you're playing--an art gallery? A library? Always cool to see a VOM entry from an actual gig.

.....thanx....I was playing in the great room at the Great Falls Discovery Center in Turners Falls, Massachusetts.....

Archived