Recording a thinline archtop acoustically

Stackabones

• Members

Listen here!

Used my Washburn HB 15 and a Zoom H4n. Pointed mic five or six inches from the 12th fret and slightly skewed toward the body. Guitar has flatwounds on it, D'Addario Chromes Jazz Light. The archie is about 16" on the lower bout, 12" upper bout, depth 2 1/2" to 2 5/8".

If I had used GarageBand to mix, I could have probably fixed the balance issue, which is heavier on the left. Also, I noticed some overtones during the solo break. Do you hear them?

Generally when I do one-mic recordings with my acoustics, I point the mic about chin high about a foot or foot-and-a-half away. As mentioned above, I pointed the mic closer to the guitar -- the thinline archtop has some acoustic sound, though it's not too loud or projecting. Voice is a little further back in the mix, but I think that can be remedied be placing the mic a little higher, say around the 12th fret but a little above the neck. Best solution is probably just using an amp, but I thought I'd experiment a bit and get your opinion.

Whatcha think?

Image019.jpg

• Members

Thanks for the eartime and comments, folks. I need to try to record like I normally do in one-mic situations, just to hear the difference.

Sounds great to me, Chris! Loved the solo, do think that the voice could be a little raspier on a song like this. Ever hear Rod McKuen's version of this song?

Bob

Raspier could work, Bob. I've been trying to get inside these songs to try to find who the characters are, if you know what I mean. So raspier might just get me where I want to go.

Never heard Rod McKuen's version. Or even Rod McKuen. Gonna google/youtube.

Archived