Where To Actually Find Musicians?

• Members

It's easy to find musicians. It's extremely tough to find musicians who you'd be able to be musically compatible with, and cordial with as well. The best thing you can do is an all of the above approach; just get out there and meet people, jam, talk, play and see what happens. I am of the opinion that music relationships are one of those things that you have to leave to fate.

Try everything, except craigslist. Or maybe that's because I live in New York?

Don't know if this was mentioned, but you can check out the recording studios in your area. Hang out there ... Can you mix pro tools? THat's a good way to meet musicians. Odds are you'd find a lone musician there who's pissed off at his band and wants to do something new ..... I've been that guy for a while now.

• Members

I agree, with a reservation.

Having lived and played several places, I'd say a large college town is the ideal place to relocate to. Best to do that ASAP because it will take you time to network.

Terry D.

Hmmm...a large college town you say? Like...Columbus, Ohio?

I'm still kind of surprised at the reactions against moving to a "better market" - I never advocated moving to L.A. or New York or Nashville where evidently everyone is heartbroken and broke because they can't find a gig...I simply said "a better market" - which could be summed up as moving from a small outlying town to a bigger town or city. :idk:

• Members

My partner and I have a great pretty fleshed out idea for a musicians social networking site like Linkedin meets facebook meets a dating site, believe it or not, for musicians to really effectively hook up. However we don't code and we're looking for a few young willing coders to work on it with is. We have a killer concept so if you know anyone who might want to get involved for a piece of ownership, let me know!! This concept is really sorely missing for us musicians!! Craigslist is bull{censored}.

• Members

My partner and I have a great pretty fleshed out idea for a musicians social networking site like Linkedin meets facebook meets a dating site, believe it or not, for musicians to really effectively hook up. However we don't code and we're looking for a few young willing coders to work on it with is. We have a killer concept so if you know anyone who might want to get involved for a piece of ownership, let me know!! This concept is really sorely missing for us musicians!! Craigslist is bull{censored}.

That actually sounds like a pretty good idea if it is executed well. :thu:

• Members

That actually sounds like a pretty good idea if it is executed well.
:thu:

It Would be..We only have one developer type to help but we need more. If anyone knows any coders that might want to get involved for a piece of it PM me.

• Members

Not to be down on your idea (it sounds like an in interesting one), but WRT to finding coders for equity: good luck. :D

It sounds like a cool idea, but unless you already have capital or a plan for getting some, and a plan for creating real market traction, experience in startups, and (most importantly) a functional plan for creating revenue from it all (from broke-ass musicians), then your ability to attract someone who can actually perform the kinds of technical tasks that need to be accomplished....

well, it's kind of like starting a band, but instead of just finding someone who can double on bass and drums (at the same time), you also have to convince them to play for free for a couple of years until you start doing paying gigs, all while practicing 10-40 hours a week with you.

As a technical person who is also a musician, about any project premised on making money selling services to musicians sounds a little... problematic.

But anyhow, I think you're right that social networking for musicians is a good idea, though I dunno how you're gonna beat out band mix or facebook or whatever existing companies are doing. What are your innovations over these companies?

• Members

That's a good idea, but doesn't Linked_In have space for that already, for musicians? I mean it's not exactly easy to find, but there are groups and things. Maybe you can make it more efficient and more focused.

• Members

Not to be down on your idea (it sounds like an in interesting one), but WRT to finding coders for equity: good luck.
:D

It sounds like a cool idea, but unless you already have capital or a plan for getting some, and a plan for creating real market traction, experience in startups, and (most importantly) a functional plan for creating revenue from it all (from broke-ass musicians), then your ability to attract someone who can actually perform the kinds of technical tasks that need to be accomplished....

well, it's kind of like starting a band, but instead of just finding someone who can double on bass and drums (at the same time), you also have to convince them to play for free for a couple of years until you start doing paying gigs, all while practicing 10-40 hours a week with you.

As a technical person who is also a musician, about any project premised on making money selling services to musicians sounds a little... problematic.

But anyhow, I think you're right that social networking for musicians is a good idea, though I dunno how you're gonna beat out band mix or facebook or whatever existing companies are doing. What are your innovations over these companies?

yea and therein lies the problem. It's "problematic" for anyone other than an artists to work for free yet we are expected to. My partner has experience in tech and starting tech businesses and we both understand. This is the reason we haven't implemented the idea which IS a very good one, believe me..It's all fleshed out as well. If we were coders it would already be going and we'd be building a team.

• Members

Not to be down on your idea (it sounds like an in interesting one), but WRT to finding coders for equity: good luck.
:D

Oh dude...Facebook sucks..You can't reach anyone and bandmix is a JOKE! Our ideas are everything we all want, very fleshed out, ease of use in connecting and find the RIGHT players, pro services for BIG touring bands to find musicians, tech, other business associated people, a pay per pro biz section ala the row fax that lists what record companies, publisher, touring artists are lookning for etc..I'm not going to go into my entire idea publically but what we are doing is taking the concept of a dating site..Match.com and using that concept to help find the right musicians to play with as well. Because as we all know, finding kindred musicians IS like finding a mate...Believe me, our idea is fleshed out and as pro musicians who have been there and done that, my partner and I totally understand what is needed to do this right.

• Members

"It's "problematic" for anyone other than an artists to work for free yet we are expected to. "

I dunno-- when I play music, I usually get paid okay. Or I don't play. Or I reconcile myself to whatever I'm getting.

FWIW, I have had people try and exploit me just as badly making stuff on the web as I have playing music-- worse if you consider the relative pay for what people proposed I do versus the relative pay that I get when I play music or run sound. There are just as many opportunities for tech folks to screw themselves; it's just that there are a lot few opportunities for musicians to actually make a living.

For instance, there are a whole lot of companies that are looking for tech co founders who they intend to pay little or nothing except "equity" in a non-existant product. That isn't to say that these are bad deals, just that it's even harder to find someone (for free) who can actually do what you want in the tech domain than it is to find people wo can do what you need in the musical domain.

I'm glad to hear that you have your idea fleshed out, though-- it sounds like a good one. I can't imagine it will be to hard to find someone to do the actual work of making it work. I'm curious how it monetizes (maybe you are selling leads to folks? I can't see how you're going to get musicians to pay for introducing them to other musicians...), so let us know when you've got your MVP.

• Members

"It's "problematic" for anyone other than an artists to work for free yet we are expected to. "

I dunno-- when I play music, I usually get paid okay. Or I don't play. Or I reconcile myself to whatever I'm getting.

FWIW, I have had people try and exploit me just as badly making stuff on the web as I have playing music-- worse if you consider the relative pay for what people proposed I do versus the relative pay that I get when I play music or run sound. There are just as many opportunities for tech folks to screw themselves; it's just that there are a lot few opportunities for musicians to actually make a living.

For instance, there are a whole lot of companies that are looking for tech co founders who they intend to pay little or nothing except "equity" in a non-existant product. That isn't to say that these are bad deals, just that it's even harder to find someone (for free) who can actually do what you want in the tech domain than it is to find people wo can do what you need in the musical domain.

I'm glad to hear that you have your idea fleshed out, though-- it sounds like a good one. I can't imagine it will be to hard to find someone to do the actual work of making it work. I'm curious how it monetizes (maybe you are selling leads to folks? I can't see how you're going to get musicians to pay for introducing them to other musicians...), so let us know when you've got your MVP.

PM'ing you

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Hmm...I thought the OP wanted to know where to start, not how to make an entire career out of being a musician. ANd my expeience goes beyond just "one bassist" - he was just embelmatic of what I'm talking about. If you think you can find a pool big enough in your own backyard, then by all means - stay where you are. Don't move. Don't change. Just stick with whoever shows up. My point is that you outgrow certain places. When my friends outgrew the scene here, they moved on to Nashville and New York. When my acting friends outgrew the scene here, they moved to L.A. To me, it is a logical progression. If you are living in some po'dunk town and cannot consistently find three or four people "at your level" or interested in what you want to do - then my advice is to move to a more robust scene. In fact, I've never known anyone to tell someone NOT to relocate to a better market if they wanted to succeed. But then again, I'm from Columbus - not L.A. or New York - so what do I know?

I agree with you 100%.

I live in Niagara Falls, Ontario. This is a bar cover band town.

If I want to find musicians who want to form a band, I have to go to Hamilton or the GTA.

There are no venues for hard music in my region. Nothing short of booking your own, which is fine.

In Toronto, its a lot easier to find musicians my age, who are into making original music, and where there are places to play this kind of music.

This is fact.

• Members

This is a really good idea man. Ive been looking for a site like this for seven years now. I bet thousands upon thousands of musicians have been as well.

First person to jump on this opportunity is going to make it happen. Its a pity I know nothing about making internet sites.

• Members

Very timely discussion. Hard to find musicians in my area. They are here but hard to find "good fits" or people with the same aspirations.

As far as where to find people? I have been posting and monitoring Craigslist, Bandmix (which sucks because you have to pay to contact), went to open jams whenever I can, hang flyers at music stores and went to gigs (local and national acts).

• Members

I live in a small town north of Chicago and find that the local newspaper is an easy way to find music players of all styles. I'm about 80 miles from the big city in a mostly farming town, but there are a lot of bars, clubs, and hole in the wall beer joints that have live music most nights. On the outher hand I don't think a lot of folks around here have computers. (haha)

What do you play?

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Hi Guys

I had the same issue finding musicians. However I can code and so can a few friends.

So we created www.bandfinder.com. I specified common fields such as do you know music theory, how often can you practice, how often can you gig, who are your influences, covers or originals, etc. I thought about all the questions I would ask if I called you on the phone.

Hope this helps.

Mike

• Members

Craigslist has worked relatively well for me.  It's not the best, but it's a start if you don't know anybody.  I'd say one of the main things is to just go where people play the kind of music you play.  Get your face out there, meet people, hang out.  The more you jam with people and get to know everyone in your scene, the easier it gets.

Archived