Banned....

Samilyn

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think that the intent of the law is to make the forum work-safe. From my experience, that's exactly what the mod in question has done.

This is frying my logic circuits.

Hanging out on a guitar forum is not work-safe.

So we want the forum to appear work-safe.

Banning album art with nipple content was a means to that end.

So you're telling me that the mod of that forum and the members of that forum honestly felt that the album art made the forum unsafe for the workplace?

That's where I'm having trouble. Seems more like a "letter" interpretation than an "intent" interpretation to me.

• Members

So umm, being new around here and all I just gotta ask. Is this sort of drama normal around here or am I witnessing a sort of once in a blue moon event with the whole Jimi/nipple/devolve/forumwar/thing? Just curious.

Meh.

In my experience, it is a regular occurence here, but with varying levels of intensity. This subforum takes its drama very seriously, and the "auto-moderation" often takes the form of a clique-ish schoolyard bullying/mob rule that has turned a few very valuable posters away from this place in the past. Which is sad, because this can otherwise be a very friendly and informative place.

• Members

So umm, being new around here and all I just gotta ask. Is this sort of drama normal around here or am I witnessing a sort of once in a blue moon event with the whole Jimi/nipple/devolve/forumwar/thing? Just curious.

Meh.

Back to reading about barre chords, bridgepins and watching all your wonderful youtube videos.

It's new. Hopefully, a one-off.

• Members

Gitnoob, My take is that the community agrees to let the mods make the call. If things go too far one way or another the community has a discussion about it and standards are adjusted. If individuals have issues with the general consensus they can work within the structure to effect change or they can hit the road. :)

• Members

Gitnoob, My take is that the community agrees to let the mods make the call. If things go too far one way or another for the community, they have a discussion about it and standards are adjusted. If individuals have issues with the general consensus they can work within the structure to effect change.

Agreed. The mods have a thankless job: they are cops, judge, and jury. Obviously somebody disagreed with a judgement call, and the whole thing blew up.

So, how do we fix it?

Do those who feel that there was poor judgement need to apologize to the judge?

Does the judge need to be judged?

Or does the law need to change?

• Members

So you're telling me that the mod of that forum and the members of that forum honestly felt that the album art made the forum unsafe for the workplace?

Yes. If you've never worked in an office, here's a run-down. There are some things that, while not done with the blessing of management, are overlooked. People sell their kid's fundraiser candybars (despite a no solicitation rule), someone runs a fantasy football league, and some folks browse the internet while they're on hold, or waiting for a meeting, or downloading a large document they're expected to edit. Management doesn't care.

However, if this person is found to be viewing material that is offensive to someone, then it becomes a major issue. See, it wouldn't show up in the personnel file as "John was viewing a Jimi Hendrix album cover on work time". When converted into human resources verbiage, you're looking at a picture of a few dozen naked ladies. Do you see the difference, and how looking at the statue of David or the Venus painting and so on doesn't raise that red flag?

• Members

Some places ban for life if ya piss em off...they won't let ya back...there is no wiggle room...these bans are short by comparison..you should feel grateful thats all it was...you get to act up a little, get a timeout and come back after you've had plenty of time to practice yer acoustic skilz!!...

• Members

When converted into human resources verbiage, you're looking at a picture of a few dozen naked ladies. Do you see the difference, and how looking at the statue of David or the Venus painting and so on doesn't raise that red flag?

Not really. In my experience, the Work Police are not mindless zombies. At least not any more mindless than any other employees.

Context matters. Viewing art on a museum forum -- anything goes as long as it's art. Viewing images on a guitar forum? Seems like a Hendrix album holds a contextually-appropriate place.

But it's obviously a judgement call. And some people obviously found this particular judgement call silly.

The issue now is reconciliation and getting perfectly rational and civil forum participants back into the game.

• Members

Yes. If you've never worked in an office, here's a run-down. There are some things that, while not done with the blessing of management, are overlooked. People sell their kid's fundraiser candybars (despite a no solicitation rule), someone runs a fantasy football league, and some folks browse the internet while they're on hold, or waiting for a meeting, or downloading a large document they're expected to edit. Management doesn't care.

However, if this person is found to be viewing material that is offensive to someone, then it becomes a major issue. See, it wouldn't show up in the personnel file as "John was viewing a Jimi Hendrix album cover on work time". When converted into human resources verbiage, you're looking at a picture of a few dozen naked ladies. Do you see the difference, and how looking at the statue of David or the Venus painting and so on doesn't raise that red flag?

As far as im concerned turning up in an office is more like it not working hard as WORKING to me is Spade and Shovel which would kill many office-geeks

real working or working Underground also would kill office-workers ive done both

But about the bans..My thinking is they were wrong doing such BUT it isnt the crime of the century

and being Adults C'mon a lifetime ban for a posting of a naked woman lol C'mon man OGP whom is a very knowledgeable guitarplayer

and was very gd on the forum a top contributor.. really the ban is way out of order and everyone knows such..

Also Christmas and gd cheer not much cheer to OGP is it for being a long time knowledgeable guitarist on HC

he deserves a reprieve

And Gull also has been banned for far to long for such.. they all should get a reprieve

Crikey gd job Motorik isnae a real Judge as if say OGP stole a loathe of bread from a supermarket he'd be hung if left to the Motorik guy ;)

I say Give peace a Chance and allow all these guys back..its the fairest way..it's nearing Christmas time

time of good will and all to all men/woman

So in their defence i say allow them back everyone is allowed a chance in life and these guys have been made a scapegoat

It's time for peace..allow the guys back..would you like in the GJ your most knowledgeable guitarists banned

and for WHAT a very minor thing for Life for one and mths for other/s i dont think so..

Happy Christmas to all the guys anyhow when it arrives.. :wave:

• Members

Someone got a lifetime ban? Sorry bout that...I didn't know that.

Yup, this went from fun with nipples to:

The totals (so far at least.)

Howard got a week

Poppy got a month

Totamus got three months

Mike got six months

Tracy got Life.

The mod felt that an Iron Fist would squelch the rebellion. Logical, I suppose. So we've lost several perfectly sane members because they didn't follow proper protocol to complain about a judgement call that they felt was absurd.

• Members

Yup, this went from fun with nipples to:

The mod felt that an Iron Fist would squelch the rebellion. Logical, I suppose. So we've lost several perfectly sane members because they didn't follow proper protocol to complain about a judgement call that they felt was absurd.

A few guys showed up at Musician Central...I thought they would be back here as soon as their time was over. Looks like some may be permanent. I started going there when this place blew up a few months ago and it is slow. If everybody keeps pissing off the mod maybe everyone will be over there:lol:

Archived