Taylor 110 vs 310...anyone tried both ?

guitarchaz

• Members

Here's the deal... I'm miles away form anyplace where I can try a Taylor in person. I just bought a 110ce via mail order an I absolutely love it. Tone is bright big and punchy just like I like it. But...fact is....maybe a 310ce sounds "better"...that whole "310ce is solid wood" thing is nagging at me. I can afford the 310, so I thought of sending the 110 back to "upgrade". However, I'm concerned that I might get the 310 only to discover that the gloss finish on the top might have choked the tone a little bit. I don't want to wait years for it to "open up" etc. I don't care about cosmetics at all, just the sound and playability. Has anyone here played a 110 and a 310 side by side to make comparison ? I don't want to cough up another 800 bucks and be disappointed...

• Members

If you love the 110, then be happy, is my opinion.

I played a DN3 (non-electric, non-cutaway 3-series dread) and loved it. I played a 214, and loved it. I've played a 110 and really enjoyed it, too. The Taylor lust I have right now is for one that is much more expensive than they all.

The biggest differences between the 110 and 210 is the veneer on the sides and back. 1 11/16" nut on both, and they are made in Mexico. The 3 series and up are made in El Cajon, California. They have 1 3/4" nuts (unless special ordered), and have all solid woods, varying by series and special order specifications.

You can always spend more money. If you like the nut width on the 110, then the 310 might feel big, and I would just be happy with the 110 until you get a chance to actually play a 3 series. If you ever feel cramped at all on the 110, then absolutely get the 310 or a DN3 and don't look back. You will love it.

• Members

Here's the deal... I'm miles away form anyplace where I can try a Taylor in person. I just bought a 110ce via mail order an I absolutely love it. Tone is bright big and punchy just like I like it. But...fact is....maybe a 310ce sounds "better"...that whole "310ce is solid wood" thing is nagging at me. I can afford the 310, so I thought of sending the 110 back to "upgrade". However, I'm concerned that I might get the 310 only to discover that the gloss finish on the top might have choked the tone a little bit. I don't want to wait years for it to "open up" etc. I don't care about cosmetics at all, just the sound and playability. Has anyone here played a 110 and a 310 side by side to make comparison ? I don't want to cough up another 800 bucks and be disappointed...

Both are good for what they are...otoh, if you like the tone of your 110ce as much as you state, I'd wait to trade it in until you find a 310 (or anything else) that sounds better to you...and if you never do find one that sounds better to you, then you already have the right guitar! :thu:

• Members

If you are happy with the 110 then I'd keep it.

The main differences between the 110ce and the 310ce are

Solid Sapele back and sides on the 310 laminated on the 110

Expression system on the 310 UST on the 110

310 is made in the USA 110 is Mexican

Unplugged there isn't a lot in it IMO but plugged in the 310 will sound better due the superior electronics. The 110ce Still sounds good plugged in though.

• Members

The biggest differences between the 110 and 210 is the veneer on the sides and back. 1 11/16" nut on both, and they are made in Mexico. The 3 series and up are made in El Cajon, California. They have 1 3/4" nuts (unless special ordered), and have all solid woods, varying by series and special order specifications.

Well if this is true, definitely play the 310 for a period of time, playing chords you find difficult, before considering the upgrade. My hand gets cramped playing my DN3 sometimes. I find it very different to play then my other guitars. If all the guitars you have owned in the past have been a 1 11/16" nut, like your current 110, then I'm thinking you will end up choosing to stick with the 110. But on the other hand, some people go back and forth between the two with no problem.

• Members

If you really like your 110, I would keep it!

With an all solid top guitar, you'll always worry about weather changes and you won't feel secure when you'll carry it around. The 110 sounds good and is less fragile! It might be the perfect guitar to take out! YMMV though...

• Members

I actually own both. The 110 is my garage beater I play when I smoke.

The 110 is brighter and not quite as full sounding. The 310 is built a little better with better quality wood. Both sound good. But the 310 definitely sounds better.

Its hard to describe. It just has a much richer and sweeter tone.

Archived