NSD: Flatwounds on a flat top

Stackabones

• Members

New Strings Day! Thomastik-Infeld Plectrum AC111.

218250478.jpg

Only the 6th string is wound. The 5th, 4th, and 3rd are flatwounds, and the 2nd & 1st are plain. Light gauge string set. I've had these on for a week before recording. First impressions were that the guitar really opened up: very rich and chimey, almost like a different guitar. I had D'Addario EXPs before and they are decent strings, but they lose their charm rather quickly ime. Though I haven't had these on too long, I really love the feel and responsiveness.

I've put these on my Yamaha FS720S, which is a short scale neck (24.9"). These light gauge strings on a short-scale neck make the guitar feel quite pliable -- tension is definitely looser than previous strings. I really enjoy being able to employ a light touch while playing this guitar with these strings.

The volume has dropped a bit, but I think it's a wonderful thing. I don't like loud guitars (especially when singing), except when I'm at jams -- and then I take my Gitane D500. Mind that there is still plenty of volume, but it is not overbearing at all and has a gentle character to it, not at all brash.

Recorded using my Zoom H4n and I used GarageBand to trim the front and end off and adjust the balance and levels a bit. During the first verse I played over the soundhole, and then (to give you an idea of the responsiveness) I played closer to the bridge in the second verse. The rest is pretty much over the soundhole. Arrangement is me reading out of a fake book. The little tag at the end is my idea. :)

O Christmas Tree

While the above recording is acoustic, I'm curious as to how this guitar will sound with my Fishman Neo-D humbucking soundhole pup. To my ears that pup gives most of my acoustics an archtop-like quality, and I wonder if that'll be moreso with these flatwounds.

• Members

New Strings Day! . . .

. . . Only the 6th string is wound. The 5th, 4th, and 3rd are flatwounds, . . .

Slight nitpick: The 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th strings are all wound but only the 6th is roundwound. The others have flat windings. BTW, very nice playing. Sounds really good.

• Members

Thanks for the link, DeepEnd. Not quite sure what rollerwound means, but I'll look into it. It seems like they "semi-flat" -- interesting.

Nice to see you back, Garthman, and thanks for the Galli link. After playing these T-Is, I'm thinking that I like the fact that they have one roundwound (on the low E) mixed with the flats -- it gives it an interesting texture and feel. Plus, the low tension is quite marvelous. When I first considered flats for a flat top, I was worried that they would sound lifeless. While I haven't tried a fully flat set yet, I'm encouraged by the T-I.

• Members

Nice playing, Stack! I have a couple of gits I'd like to try strings like this on. Here's a probably stupid question, low tensions strings = easier to play? And by low tension, do you mean just lighter gauge, or can you have two sets of the same gauge strings, and one is a lower tension?

• Members

Thanks, abluesguy!

Yeah, low-tensions are easier to play and, just as advertised, they are lower in tension than other strings -- not just a lower gauge. I had no idea something like this existed, and to be honest I didn't get them for the low tension aspect but for the flatwounds -- pleasant outcome! I'm stoked about low tension strings!!!

These T-I Plectrums only come in low tension AFAIK, so you can't buy a regular tension set to directly compare, though I guess you could assemble strings from another brand/set to hear & feel the difference.

Archived