Bad Advice Thread

JasmineTea

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Pull out all the frets above the third fret. You don't need them anyway, and the neck will resonate clearer without them.

Also, if you like the tone of Willie Nelsons guitar, fashion your own

"extra soundhole" then let the sweet sound pour out of your axe.

You can also help a new guitar "open up" by strapping it down to whatever heavy duty industrial electric equipment you have handy. If nothing else, have your wife strap that new axe to her vacume cleaner while she cleans.

• Members

I have heard this from someone

I sell/sold guitars -One guy came in and said he was waiting for his friend to come in and give him advice on buying a guitar so I said "thats cool" -and just let his friend do the talking since he trusted him more than us.

Anyway first thing his friend said:

"There are two kinds of guitars, Ones that play good and ones that sound good -you can never find both in the same guitar -so which kind you want is up to you!"

"That has 15 amps, thats pretty good"

among a whole bunch of other bull...

Th other guys heard other things that they said were really really stupid -but those are the ones I remember.

good advice...

:thu:

• Members

When your chooseing a guitar to purchase, the first thing you wanna do is hold it by the neck and smack it aginst the wall, or a piller to make sure it's built tough, no point in buy a crappy guitar that can't handle some abuse.

If you wanna get real good start listening to a lot of cold play.

• Members

In the guitar store; always make sure you play the loudest in the store. After all, you never know when you'll be discovered. Besides, playing loud and fast means you're really really good. Be sure to scan the crowd to see who's impressed while playing.

Don't play something the other customers don't know. Stick with the classics like Stairway To Heaven, Blackbird and maybe some Floyd. Better yet, just learn the main riff to Smoke On The Water and play it over and over. If you already know some fast heavy metal sounding finger exercise, just play that instead, it makes you sound like someone who knows their way around the fretboard.

And always have some slaggy looking chick with you that looks bored. That tells everyone you play a lot as she's heard it all before, and that you're good enough to get the girl.

Be sure to wear something that leaves its mark on the guitar like studs and sharp pointy wristbands. This might be the only mark you leave in music, so make it a lasting one. Also, only old wimps strum a guitar... use that powerful sawing motion instead that you saw some guy do on TV. Be sure the pick scratches the upper portion of the guitar or you're not doing it right. When you're done destroying the guitar you can't afford, move on to the next one.

Anthing I've forgotten?

• Members

Ablsolutely no need to listen to your perspective new guitar before purchase, just ask around (esp. online) to find out what is really cool. Then you don't even need to practice since you'll have THE guitar. The same rational applies to political candidates, cars, etc, so learn this technique well.

• Members

Originally posted by Treborklow

In the guitar store; always make sure you play the loudest in the store. After all, you never know when you'll be discovered. Besides, playing loud and fast means you're really really good. Be sure to scan the crowd to see who's impressed while playing.

Don't play something the other customers don't know. Stick with the classics like Stairway To Heaven, Blackbird and maybe some Floyd. Better yet, just learn the main riff to Smoke On The Water and play it over and over. If you already know some fast heavy metal sounding finger exercise, just play that instead, it makes you sound like someone who knows their way around the fretboard.

And always have some slaggy looking chick with you that looks bored. That tells everyone you play a lot as she's heard it all before, and that you're good enough to get the girl.

Be sure to wear something that leaves its mark on the guitar like studs and sharp pointy wristbands. This might be the only mark you leave in music, so make it a lasting one. Also, only old wimps strum a guitar... use that powerful sawing motion instead that you saw some guy do on TV. Be sure the pick scratches the upper portion of the guitar or you're not doing it right. When you're done destroying the guitar you can't afford, move on to the next one.

Anthing I've forgotten?

:thu:

I dont know whats up with Smoke on the Water... but yeah -thats the one I hear at least 10 times everyday...

and there is always that bored chick and the pointy wristband... the occaional hooded sweater too. Its weird how most wankers look the same ,bring the same girl and play the same songs.

ANother good one is play Sweet CHild O' Mine -very poorly -over and over- never gets old.

Been hearing alot of the Final Countdown lately too...:confused:

• Members

Originally posted by aeschylus

Buy a rosewood back and sides guitar

So good..... never like rosewood tone, too extreme, highs and lows. Pretty though.... o ya, um, make sure to soak your acoustic in a full bathtub at least one night a week, overnight... you wouldn't want the wood to die, would you?