AER Compact 60 vs Schertler Unico vs Fishman Loudbox 100

Stackabones

• Members

I'm going to dump my Marshall AS50D for something lighter and hopefully better sounding. The majority of my gigs are solo (usually with a nylon-string) and often with vocal. Settings are restaurants, cafes, private parties--in general, small rooms.

My goal is to get my entire rig (guitar, amp, mic stand, gear bag) into the trunk of my Infiniti I30. One trip from trunk to gig kinda thing.

The AER is the lightest and smallest (19 lbs, 13 x 10 x 9 inches), but it is pricey. Schertler has more inputs than the AER and has more wattage. Fishbox is the cheapest and it looks similar to the AER. AER & Schertler are about $1K, and the Fishman is $600.

What say you?

I have both and older pre Fender SWR Cal Blonde, and last year grabbed a Fishman Loudbox Performer. I also compaired the Loudbox 100 at the same time.

The only reason I choose the performer over the 100 is the bass stayed a bit tighter when pushed. I the performer is heavier by 10 lbs too, and has just a bit more projection too. Ya'll have to try em both side by side.

The Fishman Loudbox series is made in China, so far so good. Acoustic guitar just did a review of the LR Baggs acoustic amp, at double the cash it is also made in China.

I have had very good luck with Fishman stuff. More bass doesn't not mean a better sound. The digital reverb and effects are rather nice.

Fishman is based in my home state too, many of my acoustics have Fishman made pups.

Check it out.

Oh by the way if you can find a older SWR CA Vlonde, you might like that too. It has more bottom end and is pretty powerful, but heavy.

• Members

Update!

After careful consideration and crafty budgeting ...

The Schertler Unico is in the mail and should be here by this Friday!

Thanks for all the comments and help.

Excellent choice. It's what I would have chosen if I were looking for an amp. Schertler makes a powered extension cabinet. Adding one would allow for a mini-PA setup, should the need ever arise.

• Members

Excellent choice. It's what I would have chosen if I were looking for an amp. Schertler makes a powered extension cabinet. Adding one would allow for a mini-PA setup, should the need ever arise.

:thu: I saw the extension cabs. Looks pretty cool. Have you used/heard 'em?

• Members

:thu:
I saw the extension cabs. Looks pretty cool. Have you used/heard 'em?

The "Side" is simply a Shertler Unico without the preamp/eq and reverb sections - just the same power amps and speakers, in the same sized and constructed enclosure. I may have heard one in the past, but it may have simply been two Unicos. I don't remember.

My point was there's room for some expansion, should the need ever arise.

Shertler's other extension products (one cab, two different subwoofers) also seem geared towards a mini-PA type setup, as well as handling very low frequencies, like a bass.

• 11 months later...
  • Members

Just read thru the entire thread and am very interested in your opinion on the Unico?

I own a Lowden F35 + Baggs M1 Active and feed it into my AER Compact 60. Since I purchased the Compact 60 a few years ago I have not really been happy with it, especially in combination with my Lowden O10+K&K pickup. It's good enough with the Baggs pickup but not so good with the K&K.

Two days ago I tried the Schertler David and absolutely loved it. I also tried the LR Baggs AREF amp and thought that was fantastic also (better than my Compact 60 anyway). My preference was for the Schertler because of the form factor and their ability to handle higher volumes effortlessly.

I initially wanted to purchase the Baggs AREF but when I heard what the David could do I got more into Schertler and am now thinking of upgrading to the Unico. What is especially interesting to me is that they make an extension cabinet so that I can turn it into a PA if needed.

Anyway, your thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards,

Jose from Toronto.

• Members

Just read thru the entire thread and am very interested in your opinion on the Unico?

I own a Lowden F35 + Baggs M1 Active and feed it into my AER Compact 60. Since I purchased the Compact 60 a few years ago I have not really been happy with it, especially in combination with my Lowden O10+K&K pickup. It's good enough with the Baggs pickup but not so good with the K&K.

Two days ago I tried the Schertler David and absolutely loved it. I also tried the LR Baggs AREF amp and thought that was fantastic also (better than my Compact 60 anyway). My preference was for the Schertler because of the form factor and their ability to handle higher volumes effortlessly.

I initially wanted to purchase the Baggs AREF but when I heard what the David could do I got more into Schertler and am now thinking of upgrading to the Unico. What is especially interesting to me is that they make an extension cabinet so that I can turn it into a PA if needed.

Anyway, your thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards,

Jose from Toronto.

Welcome to the forums, Jose! :wave:

I still dig the Unico. It's a great amp and I'm glad that I have it. Sounds even better up on a PA stand.

While you get a little more juice and an extra channel with the Unico, you lose some of the portability of the David ... not much, mind you. In most of the gigs I've done in the past year, the David would've done the job just fine.

I'm not sure if the David is much of an upgrade from the AER as far as power and portability ... it's been a while since I've done the A/B with them.

I'm really into the portability factor these days. Less is more. Small amps, few guitars, etc.

btw, check out this Acoustic Image. A little higher than the Unico, but it has 400W and only 20lbs ... wow. Read a pretty solid review on it over at djangobooks forums.

• Members

Thanks for the input guys...yes, in future I will start a new thread Crabcakes!

As for the Corus, I saw that at the store I bought my newest guitar from and I know they don't mess around when it comes to high-end. Unfortunately, I did not try it while I was there (www.themusicemporium.com).

In testing the AER vs the Baggs AREF recently, I did notice that the cabinet had a huge effect on the bass response, so a larger cabinet would be my preference. The Unico seems only a tad bigger than the Compact60/David so that's why I like it. The problem is, if I try it out at my local guitar pro shop then I'd have to commit to buying without hearing...I did that with the AER and I really don't want to make the same mistake even though it'd probably be a low risk.

My only beef with the Schertler stuff is that they label the inputs for their specific pickups which is probably what puts guitarist's off of their products a bit. I mean, I'd like to buy a DYN-G but at $500, I'd just as well go with a mid-grade mic what with the variety of reviews I've seen on that product.

So many different choices: Corus, RCF, Schertler, Rivera (tube'd), ShenPro (tube'd), etc. I'd love to try them all.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
  • Members

Hello. What do you people think about the Sangreal? its 400 watts and has and optional vacumm tube.

I am trying to A/B these two for playing a nylon strings with a dtar timberline ust and a mamabear.

Any thought about this? I play in a band with bass, drums, keyboard, percussion. The 400watts and the vacum tube of the sangreal may work better cutting through the mix.

I would also like to use an electric with some amp emulation. any idea if it will work in this kind of amps?

thanx in adv

Archived