C.F. Martin victim of trademark nightmare

Sangemon

• Members

Basically, I think it's fair for Martin to profit solely based on their brand and the goodwill they've established over the years. It's an intangible, but that's why trademark laws exist in the first place.

As far as a global trademark database, that's an interesting one. Don't trademarks potentially have local scope? For example, if Martin only sold guitars in the US, then I think it's actually considered kosher for another guitar company in China to call themselves Martin.

Martin has established their reputation for great sounding guitars of impeccable quality. That much is undeniable. The price they charge in North America is (to my mind) fair, regardless of the profit they do or don't make overall.

As for trademark, you do need to register (almost) everywhere you intend to protect that trademark (unfortunately), so this fight goes beyond Martin and their own lawyers.

Oddly enough, my wife's parents, who live in mainland China, rely on us to send them certain things, like Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee, and my father-in-law's preferred brand of Glucosamine, for fear of fakes - such is the degree of fakes of all things throughout the country.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Fascinating statement. Why shouldn't 'perceived value have something to with the price?

Exactly, and why shouldn't stock prices and housing prices be artificially inflated while interest rates are artificially deflated and when the economy collapses as a result the wealthy are bailed out while those who actually produce goods and services remain unemployed and in debt? Indeed, why shouldn't we continue to think of price and value as if there are no real-world costs but what Wall Street and lenders perceive?

Fascinating...

• Members

Fascinating statement. Why shouldn't 'perceived value have something to with the price?

I think the point was that Martin wouldn't have to worry about fakes if makers of fakes couldn't sell them cheaper than the real thing.

The best way to protect your intellectual property is to offer good quality and good service at a good price.

Martin doesn't price-gouge for (most of) their products, but Rolex is a good example of price having nothing to do with costs of production. That's why makers of fakes target Rolex so vigorously -- astronomically high profit margins.

• Members

I think the point was that Martin wouldn't have to worry about fakes if makers of fakes couldn't sell them cheaper than the real thing.

The best way to protect your intellectual property is to offer good quality and good service at a good price.

Martin doesn't price-gouge for (most of) their products, but Rolex is a good example of price having nothing to do with costs of production. That's why makers of fakes target Rolex so vigorously -- astronomically high profit margins.

Yep :thu:

• Members

It just boils down to the fact that the country which is most willing to squash their peasants into submission the most, either with force or economic controls, is the one that makes the most money for their rich. Simple equation.

The USA used to do it with "Ra ra ra - rally round the flag, be proud to be American (and not one of those OTHER countries), sacrifice for Uncle Sam.", the Chinese appear to use force and the threats as far as I can tell. The British had the monarchy, but without the power to behead people or throw them in the dungeon the power morphed into a popularity contest.

Great Britain has what is a more type of Humane-Country so dont compare Great Britain to China and some other Countries with their sadistic ways..

Great Britains People wouldnt vote for such barbaric ways of beheading etc hanging was the way many yrs ago BUT Innocent men have been hung

we moved on from such..we learnt of mistakes many yrs back... its also WHY Innocents would Die as has been proved in the distant past

and also wouldve happened in the modern day to many an innocent man.. and this has nothing to do with the monarchy

This monarchy it's old hat now in Great Britain in otherwords Old Fashioned and people in Britain nowadays dont have the same thought for such pompisness

and matter fact the quicker they are rid-off the better..

But mentioning Great Britain along with the likes of China are you living in cloud-cuckoo land ?

Archived