Let's talk about acoustic archtops!

Stackabones

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love the looks of them. I have an old Orpheum that is playable but has been "fixed" by someone with good intent but poor knowledge. The neck was reset using some kind of epoxy, and the neck angle is wrong.

In spite of that it looks beautiful and sure looks good on the wall. I would love to have an archtop that has the sound of a Martin. I would really like to try an Eastman, but havent had the opportunity.

• Members

I'd say much more versatile than a 12 string, (but I know there's some folks who play 12 strings exclusively). I find myself playing all kinds of music on it. I take it to jams a lot where we play country, folk, blues, old R&R - hardly ever the kind of music it's associated with.

Don't get me wrong I love em, but dreads are better suited to a lot of sessions. I play a lot of showtunes/ragtime so they do still see a ton of play though.

• Members

I've got an old, unknown archie, probaby a Harmony, from around 1935 ...

Image045.jpg

A Kala archtop tenor uke ...

KalaArchtopukeface.jpg

Washburn HB15, which is a reproduction of a Gibson ES125T, and not really acoustic due to the thinline nature ...

DSC_0004.jpg

I'd love to get an Eastman, but I'm currently thinking about a Gretsch -- maybe the G100CE.

• Members

Know: A few standards. (:love:ed your Gershwin, btw!)

Thanks! I recorded a couple of other standards during that session, all with my decidedly non-archtop Yamaha FS720S. I have around 25-30 I know by heart with vox/guitar and probably a bunch more I can read from the fake books, and I've decided that I need to get some of them down on tape.

Recently, at my lunch gigs, I've started playing more chord-melody solos (with my Squire Telecaster Custom II w/P90s), most of them just reading from the fake books and cobbling together arrangements on-the-fly as best as I can. Sometimes it sounds nice, but there are trainwrecks.

• Members

DSC_0004.jpg

Hey, is that Landon's Winery in McKinney, that sure looks like the corner I played in there a while back, also, who is the bass player, is it Drew Phelphs son (can't remember his first name). He sure looks like a kid I played with once a while back at Big Easy.

BTW, I love fingerstyle chord melody on an archtop, some of my old VOM submissions I played on a Campellone archtop, fingerstyle chord melody. Been meaning to post some more, but just haven't gotten around to making any more recordings.

Cheers

• Members

Hey, is that Landon's Winery in McKinney, that sure looks like the corner I played in there a while back, also, who is the bass player, is it Drew Phelphs son (can't remember his first name). He sure looks like a kid I played with once a while back at Big Easy.

Right on both counts. I can't recall his name either. This was a couple of summers ago just before he left for music college out of state. Cool guy, wonderful player.

I'd love to play Landon's again, but I'd like to find some spots in good ole Plano, too. ;)

• Members

Right on both counts. I can't recall his name either. This was a couple of summers ago just before he left for music college out of state. Cool guy, wonderful player.

I'd love to play Landon's again, but I'd like to find some spots in good ole Plano, too.
;)

Yeah, gigs are getting tough to come by, what with the economy in the crapper. Luckily, Big Easy has been our home base for going on 10 years now, the longest running gig I've ever had, although they've also had their ups & downs WRT the economy.

I've been meaning to try to hit up some places at Waters Crossing in Allen, I know there are some places there that do live music & in the summer, I believe the development sponsors a live "music on the green" in the evenings. If you've never been there, it's worth checking out, they have some nice Christmas lights up this time of year.

The Village at Fairview is also getting pretty built up. They had a monthly "jazz on the square" thing from April to October, played there twice this year, pretty nice. There are also getting to be a lot of eatery type places that might make for some good gig mining, I just haven't gotten off my butt to try to rustle some up. You might want to check out those areas.

Ron

• Members

Yeah, gigs are getting tough to come by, what with the economy in the crapper. Luckily, Big Easy has been our home base for going on 10 years now, the longest running gig I've ever had, although they've also had their ups & downs WRT the economy.

I've been meaning to try to hit up some places at Waters Crossing in Allen, I know there are some places there that do live music & in the summer, I believe the development sponsors a live "music on the green" in the evenings. If you've never been there, it's worth checking out, they have some nice Christmas lights up this time of year.

The Village at Fairview is also getting pretty built up. They had a monthly "jazz on the square" thing from April to October, played there twice this year, pretty nice. There are also getting to be a lot of eatery type places that might make for some good gig mining, I just haven't gotten off my butt to try to rustle some up. You might want to check out those areas.

Ron

Thanks! I appreciate the tips. :thu:

• Members

I've got the one I want. Maybe I'd like a blonde Maple/Spruce, same size w/a black Kent Armstrong pick-up.

Mine is Mahogany/Spruce with a gold KA pick-up.

I wouldn't throw a Guild Artist Award or an L5 out of bed. But I wouldn't trade Mr. Binh's arch-top for anything out there priced 4x as much.

ready2gig.JPG

Archived