Zager Acoustic

snyder66

• Members

I can't speak for others here, I bought a Zager- taken in by claims of "EZ play string science" and all the rest of the bull{censored}.

I sent it back the very next day. It was total crap, this from their most expensive model. It was beautiful-just sounded like {censored} and didn't play as well as my bone stock-yet to be setup Martin. It sounded like a Dutch Masters cigar box w/strings.

Avoid Zager.

I own a cigar box guitar and I resent that comparison;)

Phil

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Buying a Zager guitar is total waste of time and money. Better to throw your money out the window. Zager guitars are a joke.
The only way they ever get good publicity is by hiring people to post positive comments in respected guitar forums.
You can always spot them: they will have a really low post count and will start trying to stimulate positive discussion by asking innocuous questions.

We watch for those types of people here.

"The Customer Service is amazing. Dennis Zager got up in the middle of the night to run out and cut down a new spruce tree from which he personally carved me a new bridge and then personally delivered it to me in Iceland with complimentary coffee."

• Members

"The Customer Service is amazing. Dennis Zager got up in the middle of the night to run out and cut down a new spruce tree from which he personally carved me a new bridge and then personally delivered it to me in Iceland with complimentary coffee."

PfffffFFFFFF!!!

You are wrong and a liar! :o

:D

• Members

It's not the guitars people really object to. It is the misleading promotion.

"String Science" is hogwash. I'm not a luthier (master or otherwise), not even a "Tech". But I set up my own guitars and those of my friends. The EZ Play set up Z speaks of is setting up the guitar for lowest possible action, standard methods used. Unfortunately, it is taken to a ridiculous extreme, to such an extent that it is basically uncorrectible, should the need arise. And it will, as with any guitar.

His guitars are built Pac-Rim. His literature does mention they are Sigma's (A cadet line made for Martin), or that they are built in the same plant. However, there is just that mention. Thereafter he refers to them as Martin's, which they certainly are not.

There ae other guitars that would stand you better in the price range. I recently got a Blueridge BR-60 (Sold top, lam back & sides) that is kick ass, right out of the box. Any Yamaha 7(XX)S series guit is a good bet. These are solid companies, known for making consistantly good products and with good solid warranties and customer service.

You may want to try a Zager. You may want to own one. You'll get no disrespect from me. The heart wants what it wants. But you would be doing yourself a disservice if you did not check out other offerings in the same price range. Not $120 cheapies, in the SAME price range.

Whatever you choose, I hope you love it and enjoy it for a long time. Music makes us happy.

• Members

I've owned a Zager and it was an excellent guitar.
People on this forum blindly hate Zager Guitars.
Most have never heard one let alone played on. Most think the laminate back and sides make it a cheap guitar. But compare it to the Taylor 114's and 214's which are also laminate back and sides. I would trust peoples reviews of the product more than the blind hatred you will find here because they have actually owned one. It's a better guitar than the Taylors mentioned above. I now make my own guitars and sold my Zager, which holds its resale value very well by the way.

It would be a good sociological study to investigate why a certain brand of guitars have been so castigated when there is so little knowledge.

The guitars are fine and you will be happy with them. If not send them back as there is a guarantee and they pay shipping.

Blind hate? That is utter horse{censored}. Many of us have indeed played them and/or purchased them and found them to be pure {censored}.

Additionally, "string science" is nothing but a misleading term for a setup.

The OP is much better off buying a great Yammie, Washburn, Seagull, Guild GAD, to name a few.

That said, STFU noob.

• Members

Oh dear, I'm forgetting my manners.....

Snyder66, welcome to our little zoo. :wave:

Seriously, we're happy to answer any questions you may have, both about the guitar itself and about learning to play it. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with the shop that tried to "hard-sell" you the Johnson. Shopping for just the right git should be an enjoyable experience.

However, if there are no reputable stores nearby, I can honestly say that you can't go wrong purchasing a Yamaha via the Internet. They are highly consistent in both tone and build quality - lots of bang for very few bucks.

• Members

Be careful with that spruce bridge.......:eek:

• Members

It's not the guitars people really object to. It is the misleading promotion.

His guitars are built Pac-Rim. His literature does mention they are Sigma's (A cadet line made for Martin), or that they are built in the same plant. However, there is just that mention. Thereafter he refers to them as Martin's, which they certainly are not.

...you would be doing yourself a disservice if you did not check out other offerings in the same price range. Not $120 cheapies, in the SAME price range.

Whatever you choose, I hope you love it and enjoy it for a long time. Music makes us happy.

I'm just going to repeat this, because it's almost exactly what I would have said on the subject.

• Members

Oh dear, I'm forgetting my manners.....

Snyder66, welcome to our little zoo.
:wave:

Seriously, we're happy to answer any questions you may have, both about the guitar itself and about learning to play it. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with the shop that tried to
"hard-sell" you the Johnson
. Shopping for just the right git should be an enjoyable experience.

Yes, I would be suspicious of anyone trying to do this too.

• Members

Denny Zager is a god! I mean, he was half of the utterly forgettable duo "Zager and Evans" who released the one-hit wonder In the Year 2525... How could we possibly doubt that a talent of this magnitude wouldn't be able to develop the entirely novel discipline of "string science" by combining the theoretical physics of string theory with the craft of luthiery. How dare mere mortals like you call his immense contributions to guitar-building into question??

;)

• Members
I gather by your query that you are not too informed about acoustic guitars. If I'm wrong, by all means, correct me.

There really is no "concept." It is all aggressive advertising, and very creative marketing hype. Consider the source of those "reviews." Zager employs armies of guerrilla marketers to inflate his reviews. Look at Charlotte941, FretFiend (WITH NO PERIOD ON THE END :mad:), et al, in these threads.

I had heard that it was Taylor schills who go onto websites and hang out as regular posters then when the Zager posts come up they trash them and make things up about them to steal the sales of the competition. I would own a Zager over a 114 or 214 Taylors any day. Nothing can be said about Zagers that doesn't also apply to the Taylors except the taylors don't come set up.

Now you can go to the reviews section of this very website and see many many positive reviews. Now because fretfiend believes they are crap he will build vast conspiracies to justify his baseless hatred.

Popcorns ready!

• Members

+1000000000000000000000000000 on this one word answer....NO!!!:facepalm:

:eek:

If you buy one after what you have read here, and most other places that are objective, then you deserve what you get (but hope you don't get STUCK)

Good luck with many of the other brands recommended...skip the Zager!

:thu:

• Members

I had heard that it was Taylor schills who go onto websites and hang out as regular posters then when the Zager posts come up they trash them and make things up about them to steal the sales of the competition. I would own a Zager over a 114 or 214 Taylors any day. Nothing can be said about Zagers that doesn't also apply to the Taylors except the taylors don't come set up.

Now you can go to the reviews section of this very website and see many many positive reviews. Now because fretfiend believes they are crap he will build vast conspiracies to justify his baseless hatred.

Popcorns ready!

Looks, sounds, and smells like a Zager shill to me.

Typical attack on a major brand.

Typical defensive objection to any criticism.

Typical claim that a Zager is superior to other higher priced guitars.

Typical objection to allegedly unfounded persecution and hatred.

Typical reference to the reveiws inflated by... yep, you guessed it... more Zager shills.

:D

Yep. this thread is gonna be a {censored}storm. :thu:

• Members

So I suppose Zagers 10 year old flawless Ebay feedback rating if fake too? I did actually post a review on my Zager on Harmony Central and they required all sorts of verification to do this. It was not easy but I wanted to do it because of the garbage I see posted on forums like these. I also visited with one owner personally that I found from Harmony reviews before making my purchase as he only lived a few miles away. You used to be able to get away with these sort of games years ago but these days websites require more information and verification before you can post information about any particular product.

Period. :D

• Members

Cannot Believe it. It has been at least a year or more since I was last on this forum and we are still talking about Zager and shills... maybe it will disappear "in the year 2525. You think? LOL

This was the tiring reason I left the forum.

Will this topic ever go to sleep? ;)

BTW: Hello Totamus, Samilyn and others here.

• Members

Denny Zager is a god! I mean, he was half of the utterly forgettable duo "Zager and Evans" who released the one-hit wonder
In the Year 2525
... How could we possibly doubt that a talent of this magnitude wouldn't be able to develop the entirely novel discipline of "string science" by combining the theoretical physics of string theory with the craft of luthiery. How dare mere mortals like you call his immense contributions to guitar-building into question??

;)

Isn't it obvious from the unparralled success of his one hit song, "in The Year 2525", that this man is capable of seeing the future! He probably came up with the 'string science' equation during a Sunday afternoon nap. How can we, as mere mortals, question the awesomeness of this sage?

• Members

If I were new and looking for a first guitar I would narrow it down to only major manufacturers. Then I would purchase one that strikes my fancy more than others in that price range. ALL of the major manufacturers make decent instruments. Which you buy is your own personal preference. Good luck hunting.

BigAl :)

Archived