It's Official! I asked Zager for a Refund

jtjpilot

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So now Mr Z has your money and your guitar.
:eek:
That guy is a good salesman.:poke:

Best of luck though. It does sound like he'll make good.
:)

Any word back on the Craigslist Song Writer?

Ya after I shipped it off I thought the very same thing. I felt a little nervous but I don't think I will have anything to worry about. I have emailed about the Craigslist Songwriter twice without any response. I'm going to keep trying but I have a feeling it's already sold so the person is deleting my emails without replying.

• Members

Well, Im not ready to pick out curtains with Denny. I remember a friend who used to buy a new Cadillac every year (back when Caddys were still cool). He would always go to the same dealer and always overpaid by thousands of dollars. I would always tell him he was overpaying, and his reply was that it was worth it to him because the dealer would pick his car up, leave a loaner and go change the oil (also for an exorbitant charge), and the service was worth the price paid.

Well, you arent getting service - you are paying for service. You pay for it up front in the guitars price. when each guitar is marked up twice what it should be, anyone (DZ or anyone else) can afford to throw a few bones for goodwill. It is good marketing and PR - something else with both a price and a budget.

DZ is losing nothing in the deal - if he sells the returned guitar at half price, he still is making money. It is a discretionary adjustment that will be written of to good will and he will even get to deduct from his taxes.

That is the cold reality. I still say to give the devil his due - he could have said to just go away, and many others would have. But then others don't have a crazy mark-up to support such generosity.

Even though the devil gets his due, he is still the devil.

There is an old saying: One "oh {censored}" wipes out a thousand "atta boy"s. Lets not get that reversed. There is only one "atta boy" on the ledger.

Very well said. Completely agree.

Bill

• Members

So I did it. .....Maybe buyers remorse is already setting in due to the fact that the Gibson costs so darn much more!!!

If you need any bolstering...listen to this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64_303eHaTM&feature=related

Or this one....all gibson...Hey, where's the pickguard?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4TtUP_QmZQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vY1peG8gHQ&feature=related

• Members

Still time..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Epiphone-Masterbilt-w-Luthier-Setup-Tweed-Case_W0QQitemZ250233531471QQihZ015QQcategoryZ33025QQtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

A Zagerized Ephiphone Masterbilt. This is the seller who has a lot of Zagerized guitars and says of almost each one, "easiest guitar I've ever played." (Click the "View seller's other items" "list" link to see the whole list.) The seller further assures the reader (in the Masterbilt auction listing) that "The collectors value alone will pay for guitars like this" (i.e., collector's value because it was set up by Zager). I think these statements speak for themselves. :)

• Members

Unmolested AW800NT's seem to go for about $499 at legitimate on line stores, at $383 this would be a bargin. Even without the felt pen writing on the back.

Would you have married your wife, if she had been M'd by Mr. Z?

I thought not.:)

• Members

I had a Zager ZAD-50, and I was unhappy with it. Lower action sacrifices tone, and I found the Zager to be no exception to that rule. It was unacceptably buzzy for my taste. I tried shimming it up, but couldn't do much to improve it. I kept it for a while and ended up trading it in at a huge loss. I haven't posted a review anywhere else, but I wouldn't recommend a Zager unless the ease of play is really a critical issue.

As others have said here, Zager sells mediocre guitars with an expensive set-up. I traded mine in, along with a few other items and a lot of cash, for a good basic Taylor model that's a bit more demanding to play, but much more rewarding tonally. Sorry, Denny, but I think you ruined the guitar by over-doing it.

• Members

I had a Zager ZAD-50, and I was unhappy with it. Lower action sacrifices tone, and I found the Zager to be no exception to that rule. It was unacceptably buzzy for my taste. I tried shimming it up, but couldn't do much to improve it. I kept it for a while and ended up trading it in at a huge loss. I haven't posted a review anywhere else, but I wouldn't recommend a Zager unless the ease of play is really a critical issue.

As others have said here, Zager sells mediocre guitars with an expensive set-up. I traded mine in, along with a few other items and a lot of cash, for a good basic Taylor model that's a bit more demanding to play, but much more rewarding tonally. Sorry, Denny, but I think you ruined the guitar by over-doing it.

I recognize you Christian Frederick Martin IV you cannot fool me always when people praise Martin in here they have one post but my friend Denny is a master guitar luthier and also he was in the special forces he once killed six people with a spatula in a bar fight I do not know why they had the spatula.

• Members

Wow... This is a first. A first time poster coming out against Z^ger and his one-size-fits-all setup scheme. Kudos to you and welcome aboard.

:thu:

NOTE: Ignore our Winged Organ there, he's on a mission from god.

mutley-ani1.gif

• Members

Kudos to you and welcome aboard.

:thu:

The first time Zager basher gets a Kudos! It appears as long as you're anti Zager everyone is welcome here. Now I see how this forum truly operates. I won't be back.

No... That's not the way it is.. It's anti-deceptive-marketing ploy - not anti-Z^ger owners. Thought we clarified that earlier.

• Members

I recognize you Christian Frederick Martin IV you cannot fool me always when people praise Martin in here they have one post but my friend Denny is a master guitar luthier and also he was in the special forces he once killed six people with a spatula in a bar fight I do not know why they had the spatula.

Very funny, but if I were CFM I wouldn't have mentioned the Taylor, would I?

Though, actually I also have a Martin OOOC16-GTE which really plays nicely and sounds pretty good, too. I only bought the Zager as a cheaper guitar to bring to the Philly Folk Festival for extended late-night jam sessions. I didn't want to expose the electronics on the Martin to a lot of dust and humidity. The Taylor I bought has no electronics, so I brought that one last year.

• Members

Very funny, but if I were CFM I wouldn't have mentioned the Taylor, would I?

Though, actually I also have a Martin OOOC16-GTE which really plays nicely and sounds pretty good, too. I only bought the Zager as a cheaper guitar to bring to the Philly Folk Festival for extended late-night jam sessions. I didn't want to expose the electronics on the Martin to a lot of dust and humidity. The Taylor I bought has no electronics, so I brought that one last year.

Just an FYI, the LAST thing that you should worry about is the electronics.

Heat and humidity will affect your wood about 10,000 times more than the electronics.

After your guitar has rotted away and is in a landfill in 150 years the electronics will work just fine.

• Members

As I said, I haven't posted any negative reviews elsewhere. I was too impatient to give Denny a chance to solve my issues with his guitar, so I felt it would be unfair to him. Some people seem to be happy with his guitars, just didn't work for me. For those with serious physical issues, a guitar setup like his may be the only solution, even if tone is sacrificed.

• Members

Just an FYI, the LAST thing that you should worry about is the electronics.

Heat and humidity will affect your wood about 10,000 times more than the electronics.

After your guitar has rotted away and is in a landfill in 150 years the electronics will work just fine.

Thanks, that's good to know, especially since I must admit that I did bring the Martin up one night so I could play some lead through my Roland Micro-Cube and actually be heard.

• Members

No... That's not the way it is.. It's anti-deceptive-marketing ploy - not anti-Z^ger owners. Thought we clarified that earlier.

Yes, we have been through this. I'm sorry but I disagree. I see nothing wrong with Mr. Zager helping players by sending out guitars that are extremely easy to play out of the box. Most new players don't even know what a luthier is, let alone where to find a good one, or a reputable one with a money back guarantee. If Denny charges a little more for his 60 years of experience all the more power to him. What does a good lawyer with 60 years of experience charge per hour? Mine has less than 20 years experience and hits me $350 an hour.....and I don't get a money back guarantee. I think if you do your research a little more closely you will find thousands of happy Zager owners including myself. I counted approx. 3000 testimonials alone on his website and another 2000+ reviews on this website not including 1700+ positive Ebay reviews over the last 10 years. Show me some documentation other then the drivel I read from players like yourself who have never owned one and I might be more inclined to listen. What I find most interesting is the player above who sold his Zager to buy a Taylor. I'm happy for him if a found a guitar he likes, but did you notice that even he admitted that the Taylor was a bear to play compared to the Zager? If I'm paying 2,3 or 4 times the price for a Taylor it better play at least as easily as the Zager, by rights it should play easier. And by the way, I am a Zager owner and I also returned one. I ordered his 50 series acoustic for $495 and it was a bit bright sound wise for my taste so I returned it and Denny sent me back every penny including shipping fees both ways and a nice letter thanking me for giving him the opportunity to send me one of his guitars. I was so impressed with his customer service that I gave him a second chance and tried his rosewood ZAD80 Acoustic. You could not pry this guitar from my cold dead hands. I sold my Taylor 8 the following month.

• Members

Yes, we have been through this. I'm sorry but I disagree. I see nothing wrong with Mr. Zager helping players by sending out guitars that are extremely easy to play out of the box. Most new players don't even know what a luthier is, let alone where to find a good one, or a reputable one with a money back guarantee. If Denny charges a little more for his 60 years of experience all the more power to him. What does a good lawyer with 60 years of experience charge per hour? Mine has less than 20 years experience and hits me $350 an hour.....and I don't get a money back guarantee. I think if you do your research a little more closely you will find thousands of happy Zager owners including myself. I counted approx. 3000 testimonials alone on his website and another 2000+ reviews on this website not including 1700+ positive Ebay reviews over the last 10 years. Show me some documentation other then the drivel I read from players like yourself who have never owned one and I might be more inclined to listen. What I find most interesting is the player above who sold his Zager to buy a Taylor. I'm happy for him if a found a guitar he likes, but did you notice that even he admitted that the Taylor was a bear to play compared to the Zager? If I'm paying 2,3 or 4 times the price for a Taylor it better play at least as easily as the Zager, by rights it should play easier. And by the way, I am a Zager owner and I also returned one. I ordered his 50 series acoustic for $495 and it was a bit bright sound wise for my taste so I returned it and Denny sent me back every penny including shipping fees both ways and a nice letter thanking me for giving him the opportunity to send me one of his guitars. I was so impressed with his customer service that I gave him a second chance and tried his rosewood ZAD80 Acoustic. You will not pry this guitar from my dead hands. I sold my Taylor 8 the following month.

Do not pay attention to the haters Denny bought me an ice cream that was a neat trick when you said I won't be back but then you were back real quick-like anyways my ZAD-50 is shiny as all getout.

Archived